Re: [HOWTO] Using DriverPacks w/ Sysprep (Updated for BASE 7.04)

Try the latest tool... It has a little better error checking. If you need that code let me know.

staticanime wrote:

@Helmi - 14 hours, and no sign of a finish. I was watching the sysprep process in RAM, it keeps jumping up between 28352kb and 23368kb of RAM, and doesn't seem to do anything.

Try removing the HWIDs related to VIA drivers.  When I was making a sysprep image for work, I ran into this where it keep going forever.  I did some looking around and found somewhere on this forum that VIA has some issues with sysprep, even though it doesn't produce any errors during the process; it just keeps running endlessly.  I removed the HWIDs relating to VIA drivers and it appeared to fix the problem.  I think a couple other drivers cause this as well, but I'm not totally sure on that.  It has been a while since I read through everything about which drivers cause issues with sysprep.

Last edited by Echo_Platoon (2008-09-06 12:55:51)

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/5ocSdUxUxrK5g8rfTm7_39bPWgBMWiteXNH4McROrNw/perpetual:forever/userbar/mainteam-1.png

If i were going to guess it would be drivers that are upgrade/replacements for existing windows drivers.

by adding the driverpack you create HWID duplication with native drivers... just a guess.

PS easy test to find out run your hwids list against txtsetup.sif... wink

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

@Echo_Platoon - Yeah, I read that before, some people posted various folder that appeared to mess up sysprep, so I removed all of those. I'll have another look for anything VIA anyway

@OverFlow - I'll try that, yeah. I have an nLite'd disc, one with almost all built-in drivers removed, and I have a copy of it from before and after I added the DriverPacks, so I'll try sysprep'ing the non-DriverPacks disc, and I'll compare txtsetup.sif against my HWID list.

If you use nLite and also plan to use the DriverPacks, for the sake of simplicity, universal HW support and your own sanity, please do keep all original Windows drivers!

It is kind of pointless wanting to remove loads of drivers fro your disc, then use nLite to add loads of drivers again, while none of these are overlapping.
The point of the DriverPacks was to support as much HW as possible, hence it was made with the idea in mind not to include drivers that are already present on the Windows disc, as a user who'd want to add most comprehensive HW support would not remove those.

@ Helmi - I thought the DriverPacks also covered the drivers present in the XP disc, guess that was a bad assumption, huh?
I'll re-make my nLited disc tomorrow and keep the built-in Windows drivers this time.

Also, if I use KTD on my nLite'd disc, should I specify the KTD location as %SystemDrive%\D instead of the default, and then more or less follow the instructions in the first post on adding the drivers to the sysprep driver store, or should I NOT include them in the nLite'd disc, and add them when I'm ready to sysprep.

I'm trying to keep my final image as small as it possibly can be, while still supporting a large range of hardware. I know most of the computers in my college (I'm making the image for them) are Dell's, but about 10-15% of PC's are from other makers, so I want to try support them too.
At the minute, there's probably about 70-100 images on the server for different hardware types, and different departments that aren't needed.

My plan is to have a universal XP base, a silent install app network share, and policies applied through our Novell NDS/LDAP login system (which also needs a good clean-up). It would save technicians wasting time creating an image each time for a specific machine, and would give a more uniform base platform to work from.

should I specify the KTD location as %SystemDrive%\D instead of the default?   NO...!
NEVER SET THE KTD LOCATION TO DriverPacks ROOT (%SystemDrive%\D)

your best option is probably to integrate mass with one of the recomended methos here (for sysprep) and not call the finisher when you do your install (finisher = custom) in this way the drivers are available until needed (target machine) then run the finisher on the target... this does add 1.5 gig to the copy... but it will be deleted right after the deployment. it is not feasable to do this any other way... (what would happen if the LAN driverwere being updated from a network location... boom... same for chipset... there is no way around keeping the drivers local until after deployment. forget about the size and keep your eyes on the prize... a UNIVERSAL image...
Stay on target, you can have small or universal not both... if you want small then use one image per machine...

you might also use the SAD Disc method for driver install instead of the method you are following.
integrate mass per sysprep...
copy a SAD disc (M2) to your image and call it on first boot. in this way the copy is only the 300MB for the compressed packs instead of the 1.5 gig of extracted drivers wink

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

@Overflow - I was using nLite to customize my install disc, and then adding the DriverPacks using Method 2 to the install disc. I had KTD disabled.

My question was, should I use KTD on the disc, and then install it to a machine, and then sysprep it (in which case, where should I point sysprep, etc to for the drivers).

Or should I forget about adding the DriverPacks into the install disc, and instead just copy them onto the sysprep machine and extract them?

Or, (a better suggestion), should I intergrate JUST the Mass Storage pack into the install disc, and use KTD on that, and then add the rest to the sysprep image with the Finisher using the Sysprep Driver Scanner (would sysprep -bmsd then include the Mass Storage stuff I'd previously included?)?

you dont want or need KTD...

you need to integrate mass storage useing syprep (yes just mass storage)

then you can either
use the driverpacks M2 without the call to the finisher. this will leave the \D\ folder and all the finisher files in the root of the drive, and the \D\ folder should already be in the PnP search path (i am not sure if this registry value is cleared with sysprep - but if it is you could just call devpath to repopulate it wink then when the image is deployed the drivers are used teh finisher is run and the DriverPacks are removed (same as a normal install)

or you can use the SAD Disk option - just run the stand alone driver install after deployment... and then delete it.

Hi

the SAD option is not so obvious in older release (the cmd tool is there, tho), but it is going to be a gui choice in DriverPacks BASE we are testing.

It is a real cool choice in the latest (80903xx ) beta in test, and there were great improvements written in fora.

(kickarse will see what he did when it kicks the behind away from the circle flies)

Last edited by Jaak (2008-09-08 13:23:52)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

v2.4 of FindHWIDS is out. It get's rid of a couple false HWIDS that popped up. You should get clean HWIDS now.

v3.0.9 is out and should give you the best results you're looking for.

In this topic I aked for powerful filtering of duplicates.
I found out excel 2007 has powerful sort functions.

I found a powerful suite of excel add-ins (Sorry, not free.)
http://www.office-excel.com/excel-addin … undle.html

I found out that nothing one can automise will handle all permutaions, and the human should have the last decision, because of GiGo.
Garbage IN (what one uses as source of scanned file for output.)
Garbage OUT (what one can get if the developer does not corroberate findings to other findings.)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Those of you with testing team access have a present...

is anbody who is not on the testing team interested in testing the new SysPrep Platform?
I added support in the unreleased (publicly) alpha version, but, if anyone is interested... wink

JakeLD wrote:

chud:
"This is all fine but then you get the unsigned driver thing popping up for everything as it syspreps?"

I found an autoscript for that called continue.exe. I never had the chance to try it do but it was design for that specific issue.

For the .exe: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act … p;id=14089

I am trying to launch this in my Sysprep.BAT file but when it's ran, the Batch file waits for it to close before continuing.  Same with Call.  Any ideas to get it to launch and continue with the batch file?

Would this work? (just thought of it, can't try it till tomorrow).

C:\start continue.exe

OverFlow wrote:

is anbody who is not on the testing team interested in testing the new SysPrep Platform?
I added support in the unreleased (publicly) alpha version, but, if anyone is interested... wink

*raises hand*
I'd love to have a look at this
Cheers

done... welcome to the team ... you will find a new forum is visible to you now !

Regarding the guide in the first post, if it's ok to post questions/comments in this thread, could you indicate exactly what KTD is? I thought it was Keep The Drivers but maybe an explanation would be better for someone who doesn't browse the site/forums. Also, I'm trying to do what many are doing by building a sysprep image that includes chipset, lan, and mass storage drivers. The guide says that as of writing the include method mentioned therein didn't work for the mass storage package at the time. Does it still not work with the current package? I would guess no since I'm trying to build a model image via VMWare and got the "Error updating registry" error when (presumably) trying to include that package. What do the admins. here recommend as the best solution for including in addition the mass storage drivers for a sysprep image? This model image needs to work across many different age and type machines, from dual core AMDs to P4s and with all types of MBs and drives. HAL switching is done with UpdateHAL=ACPI APIC_MP,%windir%\inf\hal.inf and has so far worked, but I'm running into machines with newer hardware and thought of including these packs for ultimate compatibility.

OverFlow wrote:

Definitely...

@EvilBetty... Done. wink

@chipzoller

KTD = Keep The Driver
An out dated method of making drivers available on the machine permanently.
This currently requires over two gig of disk space for drivers that probably will never be used.
And if they were used then they would be out of date.
KTD has been made obsolite by our SAD (Stand Alone Driver) platform

We are still working on a solution for SysPrep... ATM OffLine SysPrep by Galapo is your best option (yes he uses the DriverPacks)... big_smile

I have had some frustration with the Continue.exe app, I kept getting the Hardware Installation window stuck behind other ones, so it would either do nothing, or somehow open Help and Support and start doing random, crazy things to amuse itself.  So, I fired up AutoIt and made a change to the original:

do

sleep (250)

if winExists("Hardware Installation") then WinActivate("Hardware Installation")
if WinActive("Hardware Installation") then send("C")

if winExists("Confirm File Replace") then WinActivate("Confirm File Replace")
if WinActive("Confirm File Replace")  then send("{TAB}{TAB}{ENTER}")

if winExists("Installation Complete") then winActivate("Installation Complete")
if winActive("Installation Complete") then send("{ENTER}")

until 1=2

Pretty simple alteration of the original script but works great, you can't mess it up if you try.  And whoever came up with the "until 1=2" has a great sense of programming humor!!!!!  big_smile

Hopefully this makes a few lives easier.

Ian

I might have done

Local $a[3] = "Hardware Installation", "Confirm File Replace", "Installation Complete"
Local $b[3] = "C", "{TAB}{TAB}{ENTER}", "{ENTER}"

do
sleep (250)
For $i=1 to 3
If winExists($a[$i]) then WinActivate($a[$i]) if WinActive($a[$i]) then send($b[$i])
Next
Until "we're"=="done"

wink

LOL, you have a much better grasp of AutoIt than I, this was my first time working with it but I see where you are going.

Ian

OverFlow wrote:

Hi all!

I'd really like to test it too smile