Topic: Windows 2000 to XP upgrade

I created an XP DVD with a full set of slipstreamed driverpacks.  If I do a fresh install with the CD to an empty hard drive, it works correctly.

However, when I attempted to upgrade an existing Windows 2000 installation, all of the driverpacks files were extracted into the root of my hard drive.  There's a folder named "D" with all the actual drivers, plus a lot of loose files in the root.  I'm guessing the bug has something to do with the fact that Windows 2000 is installed to a directory named "WINNT" and XP installs to a directory named "WINDOWS".

I have 2 questions...

1) I assume I need to move all the files into a new directory, possibly C:\driverpacks.  Is there a list of what files are part of the driverpacks installation?

2) Is there a fix for this to prevent it from happening in the future>

Re: Windows 2000 to XP upgrade

The DriverPacks Finisher did not run... IDK why since you gave us nothing as far as details about what you did...
( see Read BEFORE you post in my sig)

run the finisher manually and it will finish the DriverPacks install.

typicaly you can just double click on c:\DPsFnshr.exe

1 NO... incorrect see above

2 NO... see first line above.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

krick wrote:

I'm guessing the bug has something to do with the fact that Windows 2000 is installed to a directory named "WINNT" and XP installs to a directory named "WINDOWS".

As the DriverPacks officially support Win2k, obviously, we are aware of that.
In order to prevent such naming issues (and because the users can also freely name the windows dir to whatever they like), the variable %systemroot% is being used.
Go ahead and type that into Explorer, you'll see it works. wink

OverFlow wrote:

The DriverPacks Finisher did not run... IDK why since you gave us nothing as far as details about what you did...
( see Read BEFORE you post in my sig)

I told you exactly what I did.  I created a slipstreamed XP DVD using nlite with all the latest driverpacks.

When doing a fresh install with the DVD to a blank hard drive, the driverpacks finisher does what it is supposed to do, all the files end up in the right place and all the drivers get updated like they should.

When doing an upgrade to XP from an existing Windows 2000 install using the same DVD, the XP upgrade is successful, but the driverpacks process fails somehow and I end up with a "D" folder in the root of my hard drive, along with a bunch of loose files.

Is there something specific you are looking for?

krick wrote:

When doing an upgrade to XP from an existing Windows 2000 install using the same DVD, the XP upgrade is successful, but the driverpacks process fails somehow and I end up with a "D" folder in the root of my hard drive, along with a bunch of loose files.

You need to reboot at least once and if that doesn't do the trick, you must run the DriverPacks Finisher manually to clean those files (or delete them by hand, whichever you prefer...)

You mean, like log files?
Yeah, we love those!

krick wrote:

However, when I attempted to upgrade an existing Windows 2000 installation, all of the driverpacks files were extracted into the root of my hard drive.  There's a folder named "D" with all the actual drivers, plus a lot of loose files in the root.  I'm guessing the bug has something to do with the fact that Windows 2000 is installed to a directory named "WINNT" and XP installs to a directory named "WINDOWS".

>

This is off topic.

If you use Nlite to create your Win 2000 CD , there is an option of where to install the Windows files.

Default is c:\WINNT  --  change to c:\WINDOWS and create a new BASE CD.

When installing WIN2000 use this CD.

I find that all the utilities I use like this format.

Helmi wrote:
krick wrote:

You mean, like log files?
Yeah, we love those!

None of the following files exist on my computer...

DPs_BASE.ini
DPs_BASE.log
DPsFnshr.log

Now what?

an upgrade from win2000 to XP is an attended installation... we do not support attended installation.

I am not surprised that there is a few manual steps involved in an attended install.  DUH... it's not and unattended install.

again you are using DriverPacks in an unsupported way - so it did not 'fail' this is Clearly user error...
I am specifically looking for anything you did that is different than explained in the directions.
not only did you not provide these details but instead expected us to be able to read your mind.
Even after i asked for the details we still do not know wich version of xp what programs were used to create your disc or what service packs are included if you used rvm or nlite or other programs, all of which are relevant.

also you failed to use DriverPacks last in your creation of your source...
if you had used DriverPacks as explained in the tutorial (in a supported fashion)
then the repair and upgrade option would not have been presented to you wink
This tells me without a doubt that you modified your source after DriverPacks was added.
therefore you did not follow the directions - and did not get the expected results -
CLEARLY Your fault...  not any kind of a failure... AND CERTAINLY NOT A BUG...

RE: Is there something specific you are looking for?

YES... I GAVE YOU A FULL LIST OF  S P E C I F I C  THINGS I WAS LOOKING FOR....
I GUESS YOU CAN'T READ

THIS EXPLAINS BOTH THE FAILURE OF YOUR INSTALL,   AND YOUR NOT GETTING A GOOD ANSWER HERE.
TRY FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS... SOMETIMES IT WORKS !

Since you obviously did not read the link i gave you i will paste it here....
-----------------------------------------------------

1. Check the FAQ forum    not done

2. Use the search function    not done

3. Choose a good topic title.    not done and not even attempted

When you open a new topic, do it according to this rule:
"[BUG/REQ] [<GUI/slipstreamer/finisher>] <problem description / driver description>"

Don't forget to MENTION the relevant DriverPack (or DriverPacks BASE) and its VERSION in the TITLE.
not done and most important part of your post

4. Don't forget to COPY/PASTE the relevant files INSIDE CODE tags.  not done and extremely important

ALWAYS include in your post
- DPs_BASE.ini (from the same directory as DPs_BASE.exe)  not done
- DPs_BASE.log (from the same directory as DPs_BASE.exe)  not done

IF RELEVANT, include in your post
- %SystemRoot%\DPsFnshr.log    not done - and can't do because you wont follow directions

--------------------------------

if you were able to follow directions you would not be having an issue and you would have your answer by now to.
i can't save you from yourself - the failure in this case is the "meat virus" (you)

now your problem is (besides not  being able to follow even the most simple of directions) you selected runonce for the finisher method and then removed the unattended section from your winnt.sif. since the runonce call is only made in an unattended install and you removed that section the call to the finisher is not made. (because you are clueless and cant answer simple questions or follow directions) so i am going to give you the answer and know that you wont read it. use guirunonce for the finisher.

All support posts must include the base version and the LOG. if you can't do these two things, then leave.

If you insist on not telling us what you did or not useing the product as intended and balk at simple questions and requests then leave quietly. we can't help you anyway (we can't save you from being stupid and argumentitive)

bye...

@team I belive he is useing a Warez disc he got off the net - Do not support this person any further.
his inability to provide the logs means he did not create this disk himself... Or he is even dumber than i thought wink
either way he is one post away from me banning him

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

OverFlow wrote:

an upgrade from win2000 to XP is an attended installation... we do not support attended installation.

I am not surprised that there is a few manual steps involved in an attended install.  DUH... it's not and unattended install.

again you are using DriverPacks in an unsupported way - so it did not 'fail' this is Clearly user error...

also you failed to use DriverPacks last in your creation of your source...
if you had used DriverPacks as explained in the tutorial (in a supported fashion)
then the repair and upgrade option would not have been presented to you wink
This tells me without a doubt that you modified your source after DriverPacks was added.
therefore you did not follow the directions - and did not get the expected results - CLEARLY Your fault...  not a failure...

RE: Is there something specific you are looking for?

YES... I GAVE YOU A FULL LIST OF  S P E C I F I C  THINGS I WAS LOOKING FOR....
I GUESS YOU CAN'T READ

THIS EXPLAINS BOTH THE FAILURE OF YOUR INSTALL,   AND YOUR NOT GETTING A GOOD ANSWER HERE.
TRY FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS... SOMETIMES IT WORKS !

Since you obviously did not read the link i gave you i will paste it here....
-----------------------------------------------------

1. Check the FAQ forum    not done

2. Use the search function    not done

3. Choose a good topic title.    not done and not even attempted

When you open a new topic, do it according to this rule:
"[BUG/REQ] [<GUI/slipstreamer/finisher>] <problem description / driver description>"

Don't forget to MENTION the relevant DriverPack (or DriverPacks BASE) and its VERSION in the TITLE.
not done and most important part of your post

4. Don't forget to COPY/PASTE the relevant files INSIDE CODE tags.  not done and extremely important

ALWAYS include in your post
- DPs_BASE.ini (from the same directory as DPs_BASE.exe)  not done
- DPs_BASE.log (from the same directory as DPs_BASE.exe)  not done

IF RELEVANT, include in your post
- %SystemRoot%\DPsFnshr.log    not done - and can't do because you wont follow directions

--------------------------------

if you were able to follow directions you would not be having an issue and you would have your answer by now to.
i can't save you from yourself - the failure in this case is the "meat virus" (you)

now your problem is (besides not  being able to follow even the most simple of directions) you selected runonce for the finisher method and then removed the unattended section from your winnt.sif. since the runonce call is only made in an unattended install and you removed that section the call to the finisher is not made. (because you are clueless and cant answer simple questions or follow directions) so i am going to give you the answer and know that you wont read it. use guirunonce for the finisher.

All support posts must include the base version and the LOG. if you can't do these two things, then leave.

bye...

Why all the anger?  I really don't think it's warranted.   I don't think you've actually read any of my posts.

I used the latest driverpacks files from this site, I used ALL driver packs.  I think "full set" in my original post makes that clear.

I'm not being lazy.  I can't comply with any of your requests because the files simply don't exist on my upgraded PC.  There are no log files of any kind because nothing happened except the extraction of the driverpacks.

I followed the tutorial to the letter.  I slipstreamed SP3 into my XP CD using nlite, THEN I incorporated the driverpacks into my image, THEN I burned it.  Every step EXACTLY as instructed by the tutorial.

The proof of this is that doing a clean XP installation works perfectly, including the driver update on first boot.

Where did I say anything about "repair and upgrade option"?

I told you exactly what I did...

1) boot windows 2000
2) insert XP CD with integrated driverpacks
3) upgrade 2000 to XP
4) XP installs fine, driverpacks are unzipped during installation
5) driverpacks "shrapnel" is left in the root of my hard drive, no drivers are updated

I'm not upset, and I'm not surprised that it didn't work, since I'm apparently not using driverpacks in an "approved manner" by attempting to upgrade 2000 to XP with integrated driverpacks.

I simply want to "clean up the mess" at this point.  A simple list of files to delete from the root of my hard drive would have sufficed instead of a verbal assault.

Last edited by krick (2008-09-04 11:35:23)

I still dont know which version of base...  ANGER!
I still dont know which verson of the packs... ANGER!
i still dont know which version of XP... ANGER!
if you created this disk tehn the log file is in the base folder... ANGER (simple search to find)
Still don't have a copy of the LOG.... ANGER!

You got your answer in my first response... ANGER

ONE OF US IS CLEARLY NOT READING THE OTHERS POSTS... AND IT AIN'T ME

an upgrade is an attended isntall - WHO IS THE ONE WHO CAN'T READ! you even copied what you did not read.

I TOLD YOU HOW TO CLEAN UP TH MESS IN MY FIRST POST (PLEASE READ IT!)  A N G E R !

since you cant read i assume this is a waste of time too ... 
(from my VERY FIRST post = Obviously not read...)

*****=====------>>>> just double click on c:\DPsFnshr.exe <<<<-------=======**********

If you had tried the above you would not still be asking how to fix it... DUH
you deserve abuse your wasting our time... a lot of it...
don't post if you are not gooing to read and follow the directions that are posted in a response.
It is Rude and Disrespectful...

you deserve a verbal assault! you have not complied with a singel request nor followed a single direction!

last chance if your next post does not include:

base version
finisher method (or DPs_BASE.log)
XP source version and type. (or DPs_BASE.log)

this thread is closed AND your banned...

YOU even COPIED "All support posts must include the base version and the LOG. if you can't do these two things, then leave."  and then Failed to include said info in your response. (and you said i didn't read YOUR posts)

PS
I followed the tutorial to the letter.  I slipstreamed SP3 into my XP CD using nlite, THEN I incorporated the driverpacks into my image, THEN I burned it.  Every step EXACTLY as instructed by the tutorial.

The proof that you did not do this is that you were able to do an upgrade.
you cant perform an upgrade after installing the driverpacks without further modifying the source files.
the upgrade option is not presented to you at all from the disc (to keep you from doing exactly what you did).
Since you booted 2000 and tried to do an "In-place Upgrade" from the desktop with an "Unattended Installation Disk" your even dumber than i gave you credit for above...

PSS you didnt even mention the fact that it WAS an "in-place upgrade (IE from the desktop)" in your first post.

i bet you use your teeth for a bottle opener too... Grrrrr....

OverFlow wrote:

last chance if your next post does not include:

base version
finisher method (or DPs_BASE.log)
XP source version and type. (or DPs_BASE.log)

this thread is closed AND your banned...

PS

The proof that you did not do this is that you were able to do an upgrade.
you cant perform an upgrade after installing the driverpacks without further modifying the source files.
the upgrade option is not presented to you at all from the disc.
Since you booted 2000 and tried to do an in place upgrade from the desktop with an "unattended installation disk"
your even dumber than i gave you credit for above...

i bet you use your teeth for a bottle opener too...

I've finally realized that the log and ini file you were asking for were on the computer where the DVD was created.  I thought they were part of the installation on the new computer, that's why I couldn't find them.  You might want to mention that on your "before you post" page.
IT QUIET CLEARLY STATES EXACTLY THAT - OverFlow
- DPs_BASE.ini
(from the same directory as DPs_BASE.exe)

I also double clicked DPsFnshr.exe like you instructed, then rebooted.  All the files were moved, and/or deleted from the root of my hard drive, and the log file was created.

All three files are reproduced at the end below.

I don't know what you're talking about with "you cant perform an upgrade after installing the driverpacks without further modifying the source files."  I followed the driverpacks tutorial to the letter, producing the DVD that I just used to upgrade my windows 2000 installation to XP.  I didn't modify any sourcefiles.  I pop in the DVD and it prompts me to do an upgrade.  If you want, give me your address and I'll mail you the DVD and you can see for yourself.

Incidentally, I normally don't upgrade computers this way.  I normally wipe them and start fresh, and I probably will eventually do that with this computer, unfortunately, I don't have the time to do that right now so an in-place XP upgrade seemed like a reasonable choice.  I already had an XP SP3 disk with integrated driverpacks, it never occured to me that I'd have to make a separate CD without driverpacks just to do an upgrade install.

Speaking of which, is there some other way to upgrade from 2000 to XP?  I just assumed that booting with the XP CD would prompt me to re-format my hard drive.  Like I said, I don't normally do upgrades, so this is new to me.

What I did, while not officially supported, does seem like something people might want to do.  So maybe in future versions, the driverpacks and associated files can be put into a temporary folder off the root called ~DP_TEMP with an empty text file in the folder named "double-click DPsFnshr.exe to complete installation.txt" or something like that.  I've seen Microsoft provide instructions in the filename before with files named "it is safe to delete this folder.txt" or something similar, so it has precedent.

If I had encountered that, I would have known what to do.  As an end user, I never expected it to dump all the files into the root of my hard drive and it caught me off guard.  As it was, I had no way of knowing what went wrong or how to solve it.

Here's the logs from the original DVD creation...
(The DriverPacks Finisher log will be in the next post because of size limits)

-------------------------

base version: 8.05
XP version: XP Professional SP3
Upgraded Windows version: 2000 SP4

Files used...
DPs_BASE_805.exe
DP_Chipset_wnt5_x86-32_803.7z
DP_CPU_wnt5_x86-32_804.7z
DP_Graphics_A_wnt5_x86-32_804.7z
DP_Graphics_B_wnt5_x86-32_804.7z
DP_Graphics_C_wnt5_x86-32_804.7z
DP_LAN_wnt5_x86-32_8053.7z
DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_805.7z
DP_Sound_A_wnt5_x86-32_805.7z
DP_Sound_B_wnt5_x86-32_805.7z
DP_WLAN_wnt5_x86-32_806.7z

DPs_BASE.ini:

[General]
; preferred language
prefLang	= "English"
; yes/no, enable or disable the wizard-style buttons, if not specified: yes
wizardButtons	= "yes"
; yes/no, enable or disable the GUI, if not specified: yes
GUI		= "yes"

[Settings]
; disc/bartpe/multibootDisc
instPlatform	= "disc"
; trailing backslash is allowed, but not necessary
location	= "C:\XPSP3"
; none/all/select, if select, specify them below, if not specified: all
DriverPacks	= "select"
; 1/2, method to install the DriverPacks, if not specified: 2
DPsMethod	= "2"
; GUIRunOnce/RunOnceEx/custom, if not specified: GUIRunOnce
finisherMethod	= "GUIRunOnce"

; this section is optional!
[OptionalSettings]
; none/all/select/paths/patterns, enable or disable Keep The Drivers (KTD) , if not specified: none
KTD		= "all"
; <path>, to specify a custom KTD cache location, if not specified: default (%SystemRoot%\DriverPacks)
KTDlocation	= "%SystemRoot%\DriverPacks"
; yes/no, enable or disable QuickStream Cache (QSC), if not specified: yes
QSC		= "yes"

; you should only add this section if you've set [Settings]\DriverPacks to "select"
[SelectDriverPacks]
DP_Chipset	= "yes"
DP_CPU		= "yes"
DP_Graphics_A	= "yes"
DP_Graphics_B	= "yes"
DP_Graphics_C	= "yes"
DP_LAN		= "yes"
DP_MassStorage	= "yes"
DP_Sound_A	= "yes"
DP_Sound_B	= "yes"
DP_WLAN		= "yes"
DP_MassStorage_textmode = "yes"

DPs_BASE.log:

2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> DriverPacks BASE 8.05 initialized.
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> Host environment: WIN_XP Service Pack 2 on X86 CPU.
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> Created temporary working directory.
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> Imported proxy settings from Internet Explorer.
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> Start scanning for DriverPacks for the wnt5_x86-32 platform.
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack Chipset 8.03!
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack CPU 8.04!
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack Graphics A 8.04!
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack Graphics B 8.04!
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack Graphics C 8.04!
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack LAN 8.05.3!
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack MassStorage 8.05!
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack Sound A 8.05!
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack Sound B 8.05!
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack WLAN 8.06!
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> 	Could not detect any 3rd party DriverPacks.
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> 	Finished scanning.
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> Could not find settings file"C:\driverpacks\DPs_BASE.ini".
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> [General]\prefLang not specified: default (English) was set.
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> [General]\wizdButtons not specified: default (yes) was set.
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> [General]\GUI not specified: default (yes) was set.
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> [Settings]\DPsMethod not specified: default (2) was set.
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> [Settings]\finisherMethod not specified: default (GUIRunOnce) was set.
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> [OptionalSettings]\KTD not specified: default (none) was set.
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> [OptionalSettings]\QSC not specified: default (yes) was set.
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> [OptionalSettingsOther]\ATI_cpl not specified: default (None) was set.
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> Saved settings!
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <INIT> QuickStream Cache directory not found!
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <GUI>  Initialized GUI.
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <GUI>  Created a list of all available language files.
2008-06-13 23:06:51 : <GUI>  Set the last used language, English, as the GUI language.
2008-06-13 23:07:27 : <GUI>  Changed Windows installation files OR export (depending on the installation platform) location to C:\XPSP3.
2008-06-13 23:07:27 : <GUI>  Windows XP Professional -  Retail SP3 detected.
2008-06-13 23:07:27 : <GUI>  wnt5_x86-32_disc is the selected installation platform .
2008-06-13 23:10:32 : <GUI>  Refreshed UpdateChecker with success.
2008-06-13 23:10:54 : <GUI>  Saved settings!
2008-06-13 23:10:54 : <GUI>  Closed GUI.
2008-06-13 23:10:54 : <SEL>  Selected module: mod_slip_wxp_x86-32_disc_m2.
2008-06-13 23:10:56 : <PREP> Removed all attributes from \I386.
2008-06-13 23:10:56 : <PREP> No previous DriverPacks installation found, Prep stage will be skipped
2008-06-13 23:10:56 : <SLIP> Created QSC directory.
2008-06-13 23:11:23 : <SLIP> Extracted DriverPack MassStorage to a temporary working directory.
2008-06-13 23:11:23 : <SLIP> C:\driverpacks\tmp\DPMtmp\DriverPack_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32.ini
2008-06-13 23:11:23 : <SLIP> Processing the files now. This may take a minute.
2008-06-13 23:11:39 : <SLIP> Created QuickStream Cache for DriverPack MassStorage text mode drivers.
2008-06-13 23:11:39 : <SLIP> Slipstreamed DP MassStorage text mode drivers using QuickStream Cache.
2008-06-13 23:11:39 : <SLIP> txtsetup.sif Backed-up Successfully
2008-06-13 23:11:39 : <SLIP> dosnet.inf Backed-up Successfully
2008-06-13 23:11:51 : <SLIP> Removed entries from \I386\txtsetup.sif that will be updated.
2008-06-13 23:11:52 : <SLIP> Removed entries from \I386\dosnet.inf that will be updated.
2008-06-13 23:12:19 : <SLIP> Updated \I386\dosnet.inf and \I386\txtsetup.sif to support DP MassStorage text mode drivers.
2008-06-13 23:12:19 : <SLIP> Created necessary directory structure for method 2.
2008-06-13 23:12:19 : <SLIP> Copying files necessary for method 2.
2008-06-13 23:12:19 : <SLIP> Extracted additional files necessary for method 2.
2008-06-13 23:12:19 : <SLIP> expanded setup.ex_ to setuporg.exe
2008-06-13 23:12:19 : <SLIP> SETUP.EX_ Backed-up Successfully
2008-06-13 23:12:19 : <SLIP> Compressed setup.exe to SETUP.EX_.
2008-06-13 23:12:20 : <SLIP> Method 2 setup.ex_ installed
2008-06-13 23:12:20 : <SLIP> Created \I386\presetup.cmd file.
2008-06-13 23:12:20 : <SLIP> Updated \I386\txtsetup.sif to support method 2.
2008-06-13 23:12:20 : <SLIP> Updated \I386\dosnet.inf to support method 2.
2008-06-13 23:12:20 : <SLIP> Copied DriverPack Chipset to \OEM.
2008-06-13 23:12:20 : <SLIP> Copied DriverPack CPU to \OEM.
2008-06-13 23:12:30 : <SLIP> Copied DriverPack Graphics A to \OEM.
2008-06-13 23:12:33 : <SLIP> Copied DriverPack Graphics B to \OEM.
2008-06-13 23:12:38 : <SLIP> Copied DriverPack Graphics C to \OEM.
2008-06-13 23:12:38 : <SLIP> Copied DriverPack LAN to \OEM.
2008-06-13 23:12:38 : <SLIP> Copied DriverPack MassStorage to \OEM.
2008-06-13 23:12:47 : <SLIP> Copied DriverPack Sound A to \OEM.
2008-06-13 23:12:50 : <SLIP> Copied DriverPack Sound B to \OEM.
2008-06-13 23:12:50 : <SLIP> Copied DriverPack WLAN to \OEM.
2008-06-13 23:12:50 : <SLIP> Copied DriverPacks to \OEM.
2008-06-13 23:12:50 : <SLIP> Will not slipstream patches, Service Pack 3 was detected.
2008-06-13 23:12:50 : <SLIP> WINNT.SIF Backed-up Successfully
2008-06-13 23:12:50 : <SLIP> Updated \I386\winnt.sif to support method 2.
2008-06-13 23:12:50 : <SLIP> Updated DPsFnshr.ini to enable KTD for all DriverPacks.
2008-06-13 23:12:50 : <SLIP> Updated \I386\winnt.sif's GUIRunOnce section.
2008-06-13 23:12:51 : <SLIP> DP_Install_Tool was copied successfully
2008-06-13 23:12:51 : <SLIP> Slipstream finished in 1 minutes and 57 seconds.
2008-06-13 23:13:02 : <CLNP> Temporary working directory successfully deleted.
2008-06-13 23:13:02 : Program terminated.

Last edited by krick (2008-09-04 13:55:18)

finisher log, part 1...

DPsFnshr.log:

2008-09-03 20:13:21 : <INIT> DriverPacks Finisher 8.05 initialized.
2008-09-03 20:13:22 : <INIT> Splash screen initialized.
2008-09-03 20:13:22 : <INIT> Detected platform wnt5_x86-32.
2008-09-03 20:13:22 : <DBG>  Start logging of constants used in this program:
2008-09-03 20:13:22 : <DBG>  	$_DEBUG: True
2008-09-03 20:13:22 : <DBG>  	$_DPSTMP: C:\tmp
2008-09-03 20:13:22 : <DBG>  	$_LOGFILE: C:\WINNT\DPsFnshr.log
2008-09-03 20:13:22 : <DBG>  	$_NF: not found
2008-09-03 20:13:22 : <DBG>  	$_SETTINGSFILE: C:\DPsFnshr.ini
2008-09-03 20:13:22 : <DBG>  	$_SPLASHSCREEN: True
2008-09-03 20:13:22 : <INIT> Start logging of system variables available for use by the exceptions:
2008-09-03 20:13:22 : <INIT> 	%finisherdir% = C:
2008-09-03 20:13:22 : <INIT> 	%systemdrive% = C:
2008-09-03 20:13:22 : <INIT> 	%systemroot% = C:\WINNT
2008-09-03 20:13:22 : <INIT> 	%windir% = C:\WINNT
2008-09-03 20:13:22 : <INIT> 	%programfiles% = C:\Program Files
2008-09-03 20:13:22 : <INIT> 	%dpsroot% = 
2008-09-03 20:13:22 : <INIT> 	%dpstmp% = C:\tmp
2008-09-03 20:13:22 : <INIT> Start logging of the HWIDs for relevant devices present in this system.
2008-09-03 20:13:22 : <INIT> 1. ACPI devices

ACPI\FIXEDBUTTON\2&DABA3FF&0                                : ACPI Fixed Feature Button
ACPI\GENUINEINTEL_-_X86_FAMILY_6_MODEL_13\_0                : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz
ACPI\PNP0000\4&35F762C4&0                                   : Programmable interrupt controller
ACPI\PNP0100\4&35F762C4&0                                   : System timer
ACPI\PNP0200\4&35F762C4&0                                   : Direct memory access controller
ACPI\PNP0303\4&35F762C4&0                                   : PS/2 Keyboard
ACPI\PNP0401\1                                              : ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
ACPI\PNP0501\1                                              : Communications Port (COM1)
ACPI\PNP0501\2                                              : Communications Port (COM2)
ACPI\PNP0700\4&35F762C4&0                                   : Standard floppy disk controller
ACPI\PNP0800\4&35F762C4&0                                   : System speaker
ACPI\PNP0A03\0                                              : PCI bus
ACPI\PNP0B00\4&35F762C4&0                                   : System CMOS/real time clock
ACPI\PNP0C01\1                                              : System board
ACPI\PNP0C02\0                                              : Motherboard resources
ACPI\PNP0C02\10                                             : Motherboard resources
ACPI\PNP0C02\2E                                             : Motherboard resources
ACPI\PNP0C04\4&35F762C4&0                                   : Numeric data processor
ACPI\PNP0C0C\AA                                             : ACPI Power Button
ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08\0                                          : Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
ROOT\ACPI_HAL\0000                                          : ACPI Uniprocessor PC
21 matching device(s) found.

2008-09-03 20:13:26 : <INIT> 2. PCI devices

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_02E1&SUBSYS_34281458&REV_A2\4&38B71F77&0&0008: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1050&SUBSYS_80F81043&REV_02\4&2E98101C&0&40F0: Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_244E&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_C2\3&267A616A&0&F0: Intel(R) 82801 PCI Bridge - 244E
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D0&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&F8: Intel(R) 82801EB LPC Interface Controller - 24D0
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D2&SUBSYS_80A61043&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&E8: Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D3&SUBSYS_80A61043&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&FB: Intel(R) 82801EB SMBus Controller - 24D3
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D4&SUBSYS_80A61043&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&E9: Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D5&SUBSYS_80B01043&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&FD: SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D7&SUBSYS_80A61043&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&EA: Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DB&SUBSYS_80A61043&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&F9: Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DD&SUBSYS_80A61043&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&EF: Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DE&SUBSYS_80A61043&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&EB: Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2570&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&00: Intel(R) 82865G/PE/P/GV/82848P Processor to I/O Controller - 2570
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2571&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&08: Intel(R) 82865G/PE/P/GV/82848P Processor to AGP Controller - 2571
14 matching device(s) found.

2008-09-03 20:13:26 : <INIT> 3. HDAUDIO devices

No matching devices found.

2008-09-03 20:13:26 : <INIT> 4. USB devices

USB\ROOT_HUB\4&1C4B7D9B&0                                   : USB Root Hub
USB\ROOT_HUB\4&1FCB28C&0                                    : USB Root Hub
USB\ROOT_HUB\4&24D2BE59&0                                   : USB Root Hub
USB\ROOT_HUB\4&CB41D3B&0                                    : USB Root Hub
USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&F180E13&0                                  : USB Root Hub
USB\VID_046D&PID_0A02\5&3AD090D&0&1                         : USB Composite Device
USB\VID_046D&PID_0A02&MI_00\6&3418093D&0&0000               : USB Audio Device
USB\VID_046D&PID_0A02&MI_03\6&3418093D&0&0003               : USB Human Interface Device
USB\VID_046D&PID_C50E\5&160F4E1&0&1                         : Cordless USB Mouse
9 matching device(s) found.

<INIT> Found .ini file for DriverPack MassStorage! ("C:\DriverPack_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32.ini")

Last edited by krick (2008-09-04 13:32:10)

I don't know what you're talking about with "you cant perform an upgrade after installing the driverpacks without further modifying the source files."

well a search and some READING would have yeilded that answer here is a starting point...
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=2733
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=2723

When i say 'can't' i meant it won't work 
- not that you can't figure out some way to force it to happen
- you certainly can set the wheels in motion for an upgrade it just won't work as intended.
- Cant in this case means you are attempting to do something that will not yeild the result you desire.
   IE The finisher will not run unattendedly (go figure your not doing an unatteded installation),
   no big deal, you just run it manually. or use an alternate method to call it (IE without further modifying the source files)

I also double clicked DPsFnshr.exe like you instructed, then rebooted.  All the files were moved, and/or deleted from the root of my hard drive, and the log file was created.

So... had you done as i suggested in my first post we would not have had to spend an entire day on this?

it never occured to me that I'd have to make a separate CD without driverpacks just to do an upgrade install.

You dont... you just have to run the finisher manualy... you used your Unattended disc to do an Attended install...
so you have to Attend to it yourself... IE double click on the finisher. wink Even though the info in your post was abismal i was still able to give you the answer you needed in my first response. An answer which you ignored... sad and never thanked me for and then wondered why i was miffed at you... DUH...

What I did, while not officially supported, does seem like something people might want to do.

People might want to jump off a bridge too wink and we don't support that either, although
We are entertaining the idea of adding Attended installation as a platform.
IF we do then it is a good idea BUT Since we DON'T currently support that platform the answer is no.
if used as supported all files are cleaned up automaticaly.

If YOU use DriverPacks in an unsupported fashion it is up to YOU to clean up the mess YOU create..
(in this case that means clicking on the finisher)
if this is too complicated for you then this is not the forum for you.
We do not cater to noobs. MSFN is the place for beginners..
http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/

Especialy noobs with bad manners... IE no please or thanks or compliments of the program.

Now had you provided all the basic info from read BEFORE you post
and that you had used 1. nLite(version) then 2. DriverPacks(version) to create your disk
explained that you were trying to do an in-place upgrade
we would gladly have helped you to succeed with your quest. (and in fact we {I} did this anyway)
even though what you did was not supported, we still wanted you to be successful, and you were wink

FInisher log truncated
Title changed to reflect content of topic.

Last edited by OverFlow (2008-09-04 15:02:58)

Hi Krick.
listen...

Jeff can code faster than I can type.
CODE masters usually / do not ever/ explain what they do.

What he wrote sounds gruff?
To ME it sounds like the sweetest possible sundea fudge, and that is because I know he went a long way to explain all this.
Jeff has in essence explained a few not widely known possibillities.

There are a lot of changes in progress @ DriverPacks, and you are privileged to see a preview of the future.
Welcome to the Flux.
The past won't be forgotten.

YOU will look for that. You will be helpful in looking at backward compatibility.

You can help us help you.
We are not GOD.
We brainstormed toward a future, we never forgot older OS. However.. Driver writers do. WE already think about creation of "obsolete driver" DriverPacks and 'incompatible contemporary" (in which selecting one excludes other.).. but we are a handful of people helped by far too few.

sad

Last edited by Jaak (2008-09-04 15:28:34)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

EDIT my own post

grammar/ damn my flemishness.
post  µ 15

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

krick wrote:

I told you exactly what I did...

1) boot windows 2000
2) insert XP CD with integrated driverpacks

I know it basically has already been said, but I need to stress this once again:
Both nLite as well as the DriverPacks, besides being created for the UNattended installation (yes, we all are that lazy tongue), are intended ONLY to be booted from the disc you created with (reason why nLite allows you to directly brun a bootable disc, btw).
Because of entries in the Windows setup information files, WHEN booting fro mthe disc, an upgrade installation is no longer possible!
This is done so deliberately and is an option provided by MS themselves (tells you that you probabaly shouldn't mess with it).
If you still do an in-place upgrade as you did, you do not have to be surprised it did not work as intended.
Firstly, as has been said, you need to boot from the disc you want to install, and secondly, I know NOONE around here or any other unattended install forum, that would actually even just CONSIDER doing an in-place upgrade.
It simply has just NEVER been done so we wouldn't even know what could happen.

This brings me to the next point: Backup.
Because you are venturing into the great dark unknown with that in-place stuff, you desperately NEED to backup (or you do not value the data, in which case you could have just formatted and properly and unattended installed...).
Well, and if you run a backup anyway, what's then still keeping you from installing from scratch, thereby avoiding any conflicts, incompatibilities or useless legacy files taking away space from the drives...?

Point is, I couldn't think of a case were an in-place upgrade would be justified or even practical.

I simply want to "clean up the mess" at this point.  A simple list of files to delete from the root of my hard drive would have sufficed instead of a verbal assault.

In this case, if you really want to clean up, reformat.
Who know what else has been messed under the hood and has just not shown itself.
You may encounter further issues down the road, then you will have to reinstall anyway, just my advise is to do that now so you get a clean start.
Also, as to files you can delete from %systemdrive%, let's go the other way round, list those that you MUST keep:

bootfont.bin
NTDETECT.COM
AUTOEXEC.BAT
IO.SYS
MSDOS.SYS
config.sys
ntldr
boot.ini
hiberfil.sys
pagefile.sys

Those files should be hidden by default (and marked as system files!) anyway so if you delete everything that's visible, you are save to go.

What I did, while not officially supported, does seem like something people might want to do.

As I said, I know of noone who would ever want to do an in-place upgrade, so I doubt that...
Even then, if they want to do it, we aren't stopping them, we just don't support it.

If I had encountered that, I would have known what to do.  As an end user, I never expected it to dump all the files into the root of my hard drive and it caught me off guard.  As it was, I had no way of knowing what went wrong or how to solve it.

The DriverPacks are mainly for experienced and/or power users that want to increase their possibilities with an unattended install.
That means, they already know what an unattended install is, have read the guides and msfn.net and have a basic knowledge about system setup.
MSFN.net guide tells you how to manually add selected drivers to your install (quite close to M1 in our case), DP adds support for virtually any device, so it's a step to the next level (or over-next rather).

Folks that do this usually KNOW what files are needed in %systemdrive% and what can be deleted, so it's a non-issue.
Also, it is rather known around here what the Finisher does (cleanup, among other), so, it should be kind of logical that a manual execution of the Finisher, during an attended install no less, could possibly bring the desired results...

Helmi wrote:

The DriverPacks are mainly for experienced and/or power users that want to increase their possibilities with an unattended install.
That means, they already know what an unattended install is, have read the guides and msfn.net and have a basic knowledge about system setup.
MSFN.net guide tells you how to manually add selected drivers to your install (quite close to M1 in our case), DP adds support for virtually any device, so it's a step to the next level (or over-next rather).

Folks that do this usually KNOW what files are needed in %systemdrive% and what can be deleted, so it's a non-issue.
Also, it is rather known around here what the Finisher does (cleanup, among other), so, it should be kind of logical that a manual execution of the Finisher, during an attended install no less, could possibly bring the desired results...

I'm grateful that someone has done the work to make driverpacks possible.  I really don't know what I said in my original post to provoke all the vitriol, but I'd like to put that behind us and make this a useful thread going forward.

I know you guys think I'm a "noob", but I'm a 38 year old professional software developer and I've been building my own computers since the days of the 286.  I've been making my own slipstreamed CDs since windows 2000, I've done countless repairs, backups, re-installs, upgrades, in-place re-installs, motherboard swaps without a re-install, and every other situation you can imagine.  However, I've only recently started using driverpacks.

I understand that driverpacks are intended for an unattended install, and that was how I had been using them in the past.
The problem was that I didn't know that driverpacks changes the functionality of an operating system install disc.  I never even considered the possibility that an XP CD with driverpacks wouldn't behave like a normal OS CD when using it to upgrade windows 2000.

I know which files are part of a clean OS install.  However, as this was an upgrade, there were a bunch of other files in the root from other badly behaving apps that I had installed over the life of my system.  There was no way, short of googling each filename, to determine which were part of driverpacks and which were not.

When I did the upgrade and saw all the loose files in the root of the hard drive, I just assumed that something went very wrong, when in fact, that's completely normal given the way that the driverpacks system works.  I've seen other product installations fail and put all the files in the root of the hard drive, so though I was wrong, I don't think it was out of line for me to make that assumption.

Also, since I had never needed to run the finisher manually in the past, it was in no way obvious that that was the resolution to my problem and I don't see why it would have been obvious to anyone else in my situation.  I've read the forums here enough to figure out how to add driverpacks to an OS image, but I don't know all the details of what happens under the hood.  Just because someone can fly an airplane, doesn't necessarily mean that they know how the engine works, or how to repair the engine when it breaks.

There are a lot of people using driverpacks.  One end of the spectrum is people who intimately understand the entire process from start to finish.  The other end are people who use an unattended CD that someone else created for them and don't understand anything about how it works.  I fall somewhere in the middle and I'd like to help make the process smoother if I can.

Like I said before, if it's possible, using a temporary folder to hold all the files before the driverpacks finisher is called would have made the situation much clearer to me.   That combined with a "run DP Finisher to complete install" textfile would make it crystal clear.   At least I would have known that the install didn't complete and what the next step was.  Is there some technical reason why the unpacking and finishing has to take place in the root of the hard drive?

yes it has to do with path length - you will also notice most of the folders have only one letter names
you want basic questions answered look it up at MSFN... RTFM

and btw i have been in computers since 1968
dumb terminal, acoustic modem, and paper tape off a mainframe
So i could really care less what you think you know...
i started with MS at DOS 1.1 and i still have the OEM pack.
you are not running with the little script kiddies here this is big dog territory...
most of the people here with more than 20 posts manage hundreds or more machines every day.
and i have provided the support for up to 70,000 users in some of my work and had more than fifty agents working for me.
Please put it away,  we are neither impressed nor swayed you stand or fall based on this topic...
perhaps you should take a moment and reread it. and think if you had to be the one supporting yourself...

be respectful, answer simple questions, provide required info when asked. 

when a Solution is offered in the first responding post please at least TRY it...

say please and thank you and your stay will be pleasant

you are correct there are a lot of b=people useing DriverPacks we have over 32,000 downloads a day
and yet you are the only one who belives he has the right to tell us
that he thinks he knows better than we do what we should be doing and how we should be doing it.
And you dont even have a basic understanding of waht it is we do... LOL

so we get a million downloads a month and your the only one with a problem in three years...
do the math...

OverFlow wrote:

yes it has to do with path length - you will also notice most of the folders have only one letter names
you want basic questions answered look it up at MSFN... RTFM

So you're telling me that adding 8 characters to the beginning of the path by putting the loose files in a folder called "~DPTEMP" (7 characters + the slash = 8) is a deal breaker?  Don't the files eventually end up in C:\WINDOWS\D\ anyway once the finisher is done?

OverFlow wrote:

and btw i have been in computers since 1968
dumb terminal, acoustic modem, and paper tape off a mainframe
So i could really care less what you think you know...
i started with MS at DOS 1.1 and i still have the OEM pack.
you are not running with the little script kiddies here this is big dog territory...
most of the people here with more than 20 posts manage hundreds or more machines every day.
and i have provided the support for up to 70,000 users in some of my work and had more than fifty agents working for me.
Please put it away,  we are neither impressed nor swayed you stand or fall based on this topic...
perhaps you should take a moment and reread it. and think if you had to be the one supporting yourself...

be respectful, answer simple questions, provide required info when asked. 

when a Solution is offered in the first responding post please at least TRY it...

say please and thank you and your stay will be pleasant

you are correct there are a lot of b=people useing DriverPacks we have over 32,000 downloads a day
and yet you are the only one who belives he has the right to tell us
that he thinks he knows better than we do what we should be doing and how we should be doing it.

so we get a million downloads a month and your the only one with a problem in three years...
do the math...

Why do you keep insulting me?  I'm not bragging, I'm just trying to give you some background about myself so you can understand who I am and what perspective I have when approaching the driverpacks process.  Belittling me really doesn't help anyone.

Now that I understand what happened in my situation and where I was confused, I'm offering suggestions on how you might prevent it from happening to someone else in the future.  If you don't like my suggestions, feel free to tell me why they are not possible or not a good idea and I'll see if I can come up with something else.

krick wrote:

I'm grateful that someone has done the work to make driverpacks possible.  I really don't know what I said in my original post to provoke all the vitriol, but I'd like to put that behind us and make this a useful thread going forward.

That's perfectly fine by me!
It's really not a personal issue when we sound a bit grumpy because some members appear not to hold to certain standards of respect and manners, so do not assume we all hate you now or anything wink

I know you guys think I'm a "noob", but I'm a 38 year old professional software developer and I've been building my own computers since the days of the 286.  I've been making my own slipstreamed CDs since windows 2000, I've done countless repairs, backups, re-installs, upgrades, in-place re-installs, motherboard swaps without a re-install, and every other situation you can imagine.  However, I've only recently started using driverpacks.

That's fine.
The only reason we could ever think "noobish" of you would have been your posts here (and we do not judge by post-count!).
As you said yourself, you were new to the DriverPacks, so, by definition, you'd be a "noob" in that regard smile
While we do not cater for total unattended noobs (and constanly point them to the outstanding guides as MSFN), we do not have a problem with DP noobs - in fact, that's what the tuts are for (albeit most BASE options are self-explanatory).
The only thing we request if you are new to the DriverPacks, is that you do as told.
Most folks have issues that are self-made because they do not stick to the guides, do things their way rather than ours (fine by me, just don't complain) or simply assume things they got no clue of.
Only yesterday, one user claimed we'd install the DriverPacks to C:\Windows even on a 2k system when that uses C:\WINNT by default.
Of course we are smart enough to use %systemroot% to cover all eventualities, so assuming this means he thinks we are noob, and of course that is going to provoke not the friendliest answer.

I understand that driverpacks are intended for an unattended install, and that was how I had been using them in the past.
The problem was that I didn't know that driverpacks changes the functionality of an operating system install disc.

It's not down to the DriverPacks (or not only, because other apps for unattended preparation do it, too, e.g. nLite) but a "feature", MS introduced.
If your winnt.SIF file contains these
UnattendedInstall=Yes
OemPreinstall=Yes
entries, you will no longer be able to press F6 for the MS floppy, you will no longer be able to do a repair install and you will no longer be able to upgrade.
As you can edit the winnt.SIF all by yourself using your most favourite text editor, the DriverPacks only make use of a feature that is already present and would also kick in if no DriverPacks or any other unattended tool was used.

I would consider this well-known among unattended users, but maybe it never occured to you.

I never even considered the possibility that an XP CD with driverpacks wouldn't behave like a normal OS CD when using it to upgrade windows 2000.

A "normal" (as supplied by MS) CD does not contain the unattended entries, that's why.

I know which files are part of a clean OS install.  However, as this was an upgrade, there were a bunch of other files in the root from other badly behaving apps that I had installed over the life of my system.

Hm, ususally, there should be no extra files in the root (unless they are temporary).
That would seem your system was already pretty messy, in which case messing it up even further by the in-line upgrade certainly doesn't help system stability and performance...
Anyway, as I said, system files are marked as such (you can chose not to have these shown in folder options) and hidden.
That should be enough properties to filter them from the rest of the garbage that may be on root.

When I did the upgrade and saw all the loose files in the root of the hard drive, I just assumed that something went very wrong, when in fact, that's completely normal given the way that the driverpacks system works.  I've seen other product installations fail and put all the files in the root of the hard drive, so though I was wrong, I don't think it was out of line for me to make that assumption.

If you have never attended wink an installation with DriverPacks, you wouldn't know, right.
Also, something did go wrong in your case, Finisher did not run.
However, that's nothing too serious, as, you know that by now, you can run it manually.

Also, since I had never needed to run the finisher manually in the past, it was in no way obvious that that was the resolution to my problem and I don't see why it would have been obvious to anyone else in my situation.

Curiousity helps! wink
I had almost the same problem once, but running the file that is named the same as the process that runs during cleanup brought the desired result.
Seemed logical to me at that time...

The other end are people who use an unattended CD that someone else created for them and don't understand anything about how it works.

Yeah, those should ask the persons they got it from rather than post here, IMO.
Ususlly, they are also trying to work with their already modded (sometimes DL off the net as warez) ISOs which is really begging for trouble (plus we do not support warez obviously).
Then, they blame us for their problems when in fact it's them not reading the guides, knowing what they are doing or even using a legit, original CD as source...
But I'm going off-topic.

Like I said before, if it's possible, using a temporary folder to hold all the files before the driverpacks finisher is called would have made the situation much clearer to me.

Well, I suppose the files could be put into the \D folder, however, I don't know how that would work with deleting, ans the Finisher needs to be deleted through the reboot and can obviously not delete the directory it resides in.
Of course, putting anything in root is a bad idea generally, however, if things work as they should, the users wouldn't even notice.

That combined with a "run DP Finisher to complete install" textfile would make it crystal clear.   At least I would have known that the install didn't complete and what the next step was.

Well, you could have simply come here and run a search on that ("files left on root" or something) or post about it asking what to do with the left files - oh wait, you did that and we told you to simply run the Finisher.exe wink tongue

So you're telling me that adding 8 characters to the beginning of the path by putting the loose files in a folder called "~DPTEMP" (7 characters + the slash = 8) is a deal breaker?

YES...
now please stop...
read the msfn tut from cover to cover then come back with your IDEAS...
After you have at least a basic working knowledge of the process...

to be hence forth and forever known as the "krick" FAQ
oddly enough the kricks of the world will never find it...

http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 746#p23746

for some strange reason i decided NOT to sticky this one

All of the driverpacks files were extracted into the root of my hard drive and my devices were installed.
but there is still a folder named "D" with the extracted DriverPacks and some other loose files in the root after the install.

After running the setup from the windows desktop, windows did a reboot to finish the installation, and at the end of the windows installation, I saw the 7Zip extraction progress bars, but it was not followed by the driverpacks window and no devices were updated/installed, at least not that I could see.   It wasn't until after manually running the driverpacks finisher that the window came up and devices were updated/installed.

Drivers are being installed during the fake setup phase (that is also when the 7-Zip progress bars shows the extraction of these).
The Finisher DOES NOT install/update any drivers, it is only there do run the exceptions (that may be GUIs for the drivers such as ATI CCC and NV CP), do KTD if selected and clean up afterwards!

Apparently, you have still not quite gathered how the DriverPacks work.

Anyway, how did you check for installed/updated drivers?
As your system was already up and running, I would think that all devices already had their drivers (ie no yellow exclamation mark in device manager).
So, did you compare driver version with those provided in the DriverPacks or what?