Topic: [IMPL] (SAD) - Installer for DriverPacks Base

DriverPacks Base neads a installer. That's will allow to integrate the driver packs on the hard drive and not with the install CD/DVD

Last edited by mcgiwer (2008-09-02 01:38:20)

Re: [IMPL] (SAD) - Installer for DriverPacks Base

Wut?
You will need to intergrate the DriverPacks onto the HDD rather than the install CD anyway, because BASE cannot write to an optical medium.
So, copy the contents of your Win CD to your HDD and integrate.
Also, read the tutorial in my sig.

Besides, REQesting something that's already there is one thing but telling is to hurry it up by adding "Urgent" to the topic line scores as very impolite in my book.
It's done when it's done based on feasability and ease of implementation.
How much you'd want it is not the driving factor (unless you come over with an extremely generous donation, maybe wink).

Should you possible refer to a driver installer that updates the drivers on the current system (that is NOT an integration!!!), that, also, has already been impelented...

Helmi wrote:

So, copy the contents of your Win CD to your HDD and integrate

It's dificult if You don't have much space left tongue

Helmi wrote:

Besides, REQesting something that's already there is one thing

I have downloaded the Base form Driverpaks.net .After unpack the installer for the Base wasn't there.

Helmi wrote:

telling is to hurry it up by adding "Urgent" to the topic line scores as very impolite in my book

I've set it to urgent becouse I nead this as fast as possible to get my PC working properly

Last edited by mcgiwer (2008-09-01 23:13:44)

mcgiwer wrote:
Helmi wrote:

So, copy the contents of your Win CD to your HDD and integrate

It's dificult if You don't have much space left tongue

Well, then clean up!
You'll have to move stuff to your backup anyway if you are going to reinstall, so why not just start now, then use the free space (you'll only need about 1-2 GB and honestly, HDDs are super cheap ATM!) to copy the %SOURCE% to your HDD (you can also let nLite do the task for you so you don't miss hidden and system files!) and integrate the DriverPacks.

Helmi wrote:

Besides, REQesting something that's already there is one thing

I have downloaded the Base form Driverpaks.net .After unpack the installer for the Base wasn't there.

If you create a DP'ed install source, the DP_install_tool.CMD will be there.
You can use that for exactly this task.
Of course, if you do not create such a source, you will have to manually extract all the files and fiddle around 'till it works - your choice.

Helmi wrote:

telling is to hurry it up by adding "Urgent" to the topic line scores as very impolite in my book

I've set it to urgent becouse I nead this as urgent as possible to get my PC working properly

See, because you need it doesn't mean our team will drop all current tasks and work on a solution for your problem (which does not exist, as all features work already...).
The DriverPacks are free and we don't even want to get paid for them, but we do like getting a "please" and "thanks" in a while and a donation now and then.

I don't see you providing either.

This projects lives for its users by its users!
Only if everyone tries to contribute what they can, we can achieve the greater good.

If we were on your salary list, you could demand things off us with a deadline you set.
As that is not the case, asking nicely and showing patience are the only matters that may get things done for you!

Helmi wrote:

Well, then clean up!

I have an old PC with only 2 disks with only 4.2 GB space each sad

Helmi wrote:

See, because you need it doesn't mean our team will drop all current tasks and work on a solution for your problem (which does not exist, as all features work already...).

I haven't told that You or any else team member should drop his work to solve my problem... that's Your words...

Helmi wrote:

As that is not the case, asking nicely and showing patience are the only matters that may get things done for you!

I have asked nicely that such problem exists and nead to be solved and You are jumping off to me with some resentments...

OK you two, calm down.
mcgiwer, what you are requesting is already implemented in the latest DPs_BASE Alpha in testing now (and that function works very, very well).  You do NOT have access to this test file YET.
We are pushing for a release very, very soon for both the BASE application, and new DriverPacks as well.
All we ask is that you be patient with us.  We are working hard.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

Thanks for the info mr_smartepants. Do You have any similar release date of the works??

mcgiwer wrote:
Helmi wrote:

Well, then clean up!

I have an old PC with only 2 disks with only 4.2 GB space each sad

Well, well.
I am a bit puzzled as to how you want to do the reinstall anyway, but you will need additional space that way or the other.
You should consider a HW upgrade sometime soon - even the smallest HDD size you can find would be a great step forward and ease such space problems.

Helmi wrote:

I haven't told that You or any else team member should drop his work to solve my problem... that's Your words...

No, but you said it was urgent because you needed your problem getting fixed by us.
How should this be interpreted otherwise?

Helmi wrote:

I have asked nicely that such problem exists and nead to be solved and You are jumping off to me with some resentments...

No, you haven't asked nicely, at least not in my book.
You said that "DriverPacks Base neads a installer.".
You haven't said either please or thanks.
Great job on editing your post and removing "urgent" from the subject line, btw...

Anyway, I'm done with that - I told you how to behave and ask around this place.
Hopefully, you'll follow this advise next time.
We're all trying to be friendly to each other here and get along fine.

I'm not holding a grudge or anything, but there's always two ways how you can say something.

DriverPacks base IS the installer... your request makes no sense

base comes as it's own installer its a self extracting EXE that installs the DriverPacks base

DriverPacks base IS our installer

- Since this request is for a feature that has existed since 2006 this topic should be closed wink

all [REQ] for any existing features are automaticaly denied -
any request that doesnt include please and thank you are likewise denied -

REQ  =  DENIED

perhaps we could trash this topic... if you were to start a new one
please properly format it this time.
Please try to explain what you were attempting to do / why a new feature is needed.
Please include the minimum info required see read BEFORE you post in my signature

We Realize that many of our members do not speak english as their primary language...
that is not a problem, however, we do expect you to 'attempt' to describe your problem and what you need...
Perhaps starting it out as a REQ is not the best idea since you are unfamiliar with our current features wink
Perhaps if you were to remember that we do this for Free as Volunteers
Show some respect for our personal time and the many years of hard work we have invested.
You show up on your first post and mark a it as URGENT...
I wouldn't even consider marking a post with Urgent and i'm an Administrator here wink
It has to do with remembering that you want something for nothing. when you want somebody to give you something for free it 'pays' (;)) to be respectful AND polite. IE please, thank you, I appreciate ________,   

a well recived feture request would have these basic elements...

I USE DriverPacks AND THEY ARE (FUN, HELPFUL, TIME SAVERS, GREAT, AWSOME, JUST WHAT I NEED, PERFECT) AND i USE THEM (REGULARLY, ALWAYS, FIRST TIME, OCCASIONALY) THANK YOU TO THE DriverPacks TEAM FOR YOUR HARD WORK IT (SAVES ME TIME, SAVES ME WORK, MAKES LIFE EASIER)

i AM TRYING TO ________ AND I WAS NOT ABLE TO.
IS THERE A WAY TO DO ________ WITH DriverPacks

IF THERE IS NO EXISTING WAY TO DO THIS CAN WE   P L E A S E   ADD IT...

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME
AND HAVE A NICE DAY

Start over... be polite (please and thanks)... be descriptive... What, When, How, Why...

have a great day
we  are  looking forward to being able to help you...

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

I believe what he's asking for is the S.A.D (Stand Alone Driver disc) function.  So he can update the drivers on a currently running XP system, not integrate the drivers into the XP source.

But regardless, mcgiwer your request is either already implemented in the current test builds (if I'm right), or it will never be (if OverFlow is right).

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

Thanks for the tip guys OwerFlow smile

mr_smartpants has wrote what I wanted to say in my posts wink

I try to precise my problem more exact.

I have downloaded from DriverPacks.net site the base and the packs (I've placed the 7zip-ed files in DriverPacks dir).
After I've runned the soft I got a little problem. My OS wasn't detected becouse on my HD (in the system32 dir). I can't copy it from the CD becouse I have a small HD (only 4.2 GB - I have an old PC and bigger drivers are difficoult supported).

I'd like to suggest somthing for the newer version of the base. My suggestion is: when in the soft is selected the disk option then the OS should be gained from the system entries (for ex. registry) and not from the i386 (on 32 bit systems), becouse many Windows-es XP don't have this dir.

Thanks for Your time.

Last edited by mcgiwer (2008-09-04 03:30:59)

Yes mr_s was correct you would like a SAD disc ...

you still have the same problem the DriverPacks when extracted (so you can use them) take up roughly 1.5 gig

so you dont have enough space to be able to create or use the SAD disc platform on that machine

If you have access to a machine with more space you could create a SAD disc useing method 1
then put that folder on a CD or DVD (ODD) and then use that on your machine.

check the FAQ forum for the how to on createing a SAD disk

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

mcgiwer wrote:

My OS wasn't detected becouse on my HD (in the system32 dir).

Of course it will not be detected, because you point it to the INSTALLATION path as opposed to the needed SOURCE path (files as found on CD).
If what you tried worked, you'd create an installation disc out of the installed files and that cannot work well.
You will need fresh, unaltered files (you can use nLite on them, though) as from CD if you want to slipstream the drivers.

As you only want to install the drivers on an already existing installation, you must take a different approach!

I can't copy it from the CD becouse I have a small HD (only 4.2 GB - I have an old PC and bigger drivers are difficoult supported).

As Jeff has already pointed out, and I have mentioned in my previous posts, you WILL need more HDD space either way (slipstream or driver installation)!
What you are currently running is less than what fits on a DVD-R, the nowadays industry standard for space so to speak.
The way I see it you have these options:

* Ditch that old machine (must be from the early to mid 90's I figure, given that little HDD space) and get a decent one, ANY would be better I guess.
* Find out what the max size for a HDD is to be supported by your mobo/BIOS (maybe install a BIOS update to increase the limit), then buy a 20 GB (probabaly smallest you can find if at all) HDD for little money and work from there on
* If you system has USB, get an external HDD case and put a HDD inside.
That way you will circumvent any size limits given by the BIOS - any OS supported by the DriverPacks will not have a problem with modern-sized HDDs
* Download an install only those drivers that your system really needs, thereby avoiding the "large" size of the DriverPacks. You could use Driver Genius to help you find the required drivers.
* If you system is that old, the OS should already provide most if not all essential drivers anyway (legacy support).
You should also be able to get the rest through WindowsUpdate - have you given that a try already?

I'd like to suggest somthing for the newer version of the base. My suggestion is: when in the soft is selected the disk option then the OS should be gained from the system entries (for ex. registry) and not from the i386 (on 32 bit systems), becouse many Windows-es XP don't have this dir.

As I already wrote, it is a very bad idea to take the files from your install dir and work on those.
Instead, you will need the CD that contains the untouched and trouble-free files.
Also, it does not matter whether the i386 dir is present in your install dir because it certainly is present on your install disc!
So claiming that many XPs would not have it is a moot point.

In case you really only have a restore disc and not a proper install disc, you should complain to your OEM for not providing a proper one and get this software: http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/06/03/202/
It will allow you to transform your recovery CD or partition into a real installation one.
You can use Google to trabslate the site if you do not understand German.