Topic: Add DriverPacks to Microsoft ERD Commander 2007

Is there anyway I can add all the driverspacks for MassStorage and or Network Drivers to my Microsoft ERD Commander? We have several physical machine configs here and was trying to avoide building 20 different ERD Commander ISOs/CDs.

Many Regards,

SomeGuy

Re: Add DriverPacks to Microsoft ERD Commander 2007

Welcome to DriverPacks SomeGuy

I Dont Know... i got results on googleing "DriverPacks Microsoft ERD"

Most of us use BartPE or UBCD4Win I like UBCD4Win myself it is everything you need in a ERD and more.

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

have a great day

PS i just noticed it had a free download version so ill look at it when i have a sec...

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

mass storage support for ERD is based on you provideing a driver with the oemtext file
we dont use those as we integrate the drivers directly...
so it looks like the mass storage option is out...

it looks as though you could add the network drivers - one at a time.
that doesnt sound like any fun...j

it probably could be done but it will require some more digging around to see exactly what must be done.

the ubcd4win option is easier wink lol

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Thanks for the reply/follow up.

I spoke with one of the people in our legal dept. and apperently we are unable to use bartpe/ubcd4win type media due to some legal stuff that made no sense to me. I figured that since we have a SA License/Agreement with Microsoft we would be able to use the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack along with ERD Commander with some integrated MASS/LAN Drivers.

As you already mentioned most of the MASS Drivers do not contain traditional TXTSETUP.OEM index files there for making it diffecult to add them into MSERD Commander Media Builder.

O well maybe I am SOL on this one.

Hope to see some type of workaround for this.

Still DriverPacks is a great piece of work non-the-less.

Keep it up

Regards,

SomeGuy

One option would be extract the .ISO and run WinBuilder on it, specifically just the DP mass storage script which comes with LiveXP. What I would do is do a first-run creating a normal LiveXP build, then adjust to point to extracted ISO and run the mass storage script against this. Mass storage drivers will be injected, services added, txtsetup.sif entries added, etc.

Regards,
Galapo.

well to be legal you should have a "licence" for each disk you burn

IE if i use a winxp source my cd burns one of my XP licenses (just like it was a PC)

so if licensing is the issue, that is addressable, just make sure you have a valid license for each PE disk you have.

If Galapo thinks you can use liveXP... i would certainly try it

thanks for you interest and kind words...  we will see where this leads  keep us 'posted' wink

Not going to contrbute too much due to lack of experience but I just stumbled across this.
Apparently, ERD Commander has been replaced by DaRT, which you can find here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta … laylang=en

It is available as a 30-day trial version, but you can easily extend it.
If you extract the ISO from the CAB, the command

Binary.updexp.exe ERD50.iso 30

will set it to 30 days, any other number will work accordingly...

Maybe this will help you.

PS: Search must be broken.
The Google Search we link to is completely FUBAR because it does not link to single threads and using the forum's own engine, I get zero results for "ERD".
Can someone look into that, please?

Hi,

I had the same problem with ERD 5.0  (now MS DART). 

For the net drivers, I needed to go one by one.. and I couldn't use driverpacks for some reason.  After a point, I just got a looping error that I couldn't avoid.  I think its because there were too many drivers.  I used UBCD4win's abridged set of net drivers...  I still had to add 1 by 1, but microsoft's interface didn't crash when all was said and done (I did get some errors though).

As far as the mass storage driver goes, this is a bit tricky. 

1) Firstly, you need to make a valid ERD iso, with the net drivers included. Go through the whole process, just don't burn the ISO to the CD.
2) Once you have done this, use an ISO utility to extract the entire ISO to a directory.
3) The ERD is really a winpe environment (sort of), but for some reason the driverpacks base does not realize its a valid set of files.  We need to trick the driverpacks base installer to continue.  What I did was I copied the contents of the I386 directory FROM A WINDOWS CD into the I386 directory of our extracted ISO. 
4) At this point, the driverpack's installer will let you select bartpe as the installation type and continue. Continue to the next step, but don't go any further.
5) Now, we must delete the I386 directory (since we dumped all the CD files in there) and re-extract the I386 directory from ISO we made in step 1. 

Basically all the steps now have simply been to trick driverpacks into letting us move forward with a standard slipstream.  In our directory, our contents should still be identical to that ERD ISO we made in step 1. 

6) Select the txtsetup method to install the mass storage files.  This is what you need since ERD is like a bartpe environment. 
7) Finish the driverpacks setup, and let it slipstream.

At this point ,we have all we need.  The ERD has been updated, and the drivers are slipstream.  We still need to make the CD, but many people might not know how to extract the boot image from the ERD ISO.  There is an easy way to get around this:

1)Start an other ERD install, but get up until the point where it shows you the temporary directory (and you have the option to browse.
2) Click on browse, and delete the entire contents of this directory.
3) Open up the folder we have been working with (the extracted ISO directory, which should now be slipstreamed with the mass storage drivers). COPY the contents of this folder into the ERD temp directory.

In essence, we just replaced all of the preloaded MSFT ERD files with our slipstreamed version of ERD.  All the ERD disc setup does from here is copy over some executables, so nothing important is overwritten. 

I was unsure whether this would work or not, but appears to have been successful.  I'm still a little unsure of what help the net drivers are, launching a browser doesn't seem to work. 

I would really rather use these tools within a bartPE disc, but this version doesn't appear to work correctly.  I would love to see a plugin if anyone has access to it..

That is a very good description of your 'known to work' process...
Thanks a Million and welcome to DriverPacks hpmnick
It is always nice to see someone start their posting here by offering a helping hand for another member smile

you would love to see a plugin for what... you lost me...
bartepe plugin exists already and if your talking ERD that would be a feature request.

Hi, thanks for the reply..

I passed this post when trying to find a solution to the OP's question, so when I found a solution I figured I'd post back in here and leave a solution in case anyone else finds this through google.

As far as the plugin, sorry if I was confusing.  I am looking for a BartPE plugin for the new MS DART (ERD 5.0 and/or 6.0 -6.0 is the vista version).  I have the ERD 2003 plugin which allows me to use it in BartPE, as well as ERD 2003... but the 2003 version is outdated and the system restore doesn't function currently - it deletes user profiles and documents (not good!).  I can't find a plugin that works with the newer versions, which have been renamed Microsoft Diagnostic and recovery toolkit (DART)...

I figured someone here might know of one, so I figured I'd ask.

Well, either way, thanks for the response! Take care!

Hi Hpmnick,

Tanks for posting those steps.
I did try to follow them but i have some doubts, you said "you select bartpe as the installation type" but when I choose this type of installation on DriversPack it will create a BartPE plug-in called witch includes a file masstorage.inf, after that only when bartpe process the INF file the drivers got copied to the correct folders and the txtsetup.inf gets updated.

Can you clarify this please.

TIA

Last edited by rpaz (2008-10-21 00:20:32)

I belive he means select DISK not BartPE

you are correct the bartpe output would not be ready for use if it were not first processed by PEbuilder...

and base doesnt look for an i386 folder to validate a bartpe plugin *it looks for PE duh... wink

So the only logical conclusion is he meant DISK.... big_smile

thanks for the info..I want to ask some quick questions..

which method should we select for slipstream?method 1 or 2?and which method to start finisher GUIRunOnce, RunOnceEx?and can we add lan and mass storage together?

I follow each steps as you descriptied but have no succeed..:( I choose method 2 and GUIRunOnce but it gives me error..couldn't expand setup.ex_..yes maybe you say you not follow the guide but I made it..I erase I386 folder after select the source and extract again winternals's iso's I386 folder..

here is my log;

2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <INIT> DriverPacks BASE 8.05 initialized.
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <INIT> Host environment: WIN_XP Service Pack 3 on X86 CPU.
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <INIT> Created temporary working directory.
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <INIT> Imported proxy settings from Internet Explorer.
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <INIT> Start scanning for DriverPacks for the wnt5_x86-32 platform.
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack Chipset 8.03!
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack CPU 8.04!
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack Graphics A 8.10.3!
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack Graphics B 8.10!
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack Graphics C 8.10.1!
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack LAN 8.05.3!
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack MassStorage 8.05!
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack Sound A 8.05!
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack Sound B 8.05!
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <INIT> 	Detected DriverPack WLAN 8.06!
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <INIT> 	Could not detect any 3rd party DriverPacks.
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <INIT> 	Finished scanning.
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <INIT> Detected settings file "C:\ROOT\DP\DPs_BASE.ini".
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <INIT> No OS could be detected.
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <INIT> Imported settings from settings file.
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <INIT> [Settings]\DPsMethod not specified: default (2) was set.
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <INIT> [Settings]\finisherMethod not specified: default (GUIRunOnce) was set.
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <INIT> [OptionalSettings]\KTD not specified: default (none) was set.
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <INIT> [OptionalSettings]\QSC not specified: default (yes) was set.
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <INIT> [OptionalSettingsOther]\ATI_cpl not specified: default (None) was set.
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <GUI>  Initialized GUI.
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <GUI>  Created a list of all available language files.
2008-12-07 04:19:45 : <GUI>  Set the last used language, English, as the GUI language.
2008-12-07 04:21:33 : <GUI>  Changed Windows installation files OR export (depending on the installation platform) location to C:\ROOT\erd.
2008-12-07 04:21:33 : <GUI>  Windows XP Professional -  OEM  detected.
2008-12-07 04:21:33 : <GUI>  wnt5_x86-32_disc is the selected installation platform .
2008-12-07 04:23:22 : <GUI>  Refreshed UpdateChecker with success.
2008-12-07 04:23:38 : <GUI>  Saved settings!
2008-12-07 04:23:38 : <GUI>  Closed GUI.
2008-12-07 04:23:39 : <SEL>  Selected module: mod_slip_wxp_x86-32_disc_m2.
2008-12-07 04:23:39 : <PREP> Removed all attributes from \I386.
2008-12-07 04:23:39 : <PREP> No previous DriverPacks installation found, Prep stage will be skipped
2008-12-07 04:23:43 : <SLIP> Extracted DriverPack MassStorage to a temporary working directory.
2008-12-07 04:23:43 : <SLIP> C:\ROOT\DP\tmp\DPMtmp\DriverPack_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32.ini
2008-12-07 04:23:43 : <SLIP> Processing the files now. This may take a minute.
2008-12-07 04:23:59 : <SLIP> Slipstreamed DriverPack MassStorage text mode driver files.
2008-12-07 04:24:00 : <SLIP> txtsetup.sif Backed-up Successfully
2008-12-07 04:24:06 : <SLIP> Removed entries from \I386\txtsetup.sif that will be updated.
2008-12-07 04:24:07 : <SLIP> Removed entries from \I386\dosnet.inf that will be updated.
2008-12-07 04:24:36 : <SLIP> Updated \I386\dosnet.inf and \I386\txtsetup.sif to support DP MassStorage text mode drivers.
2008-12-07 04:24:36 : <SLIP> Created necessary directory structure for method 2.
2008-12-07 04:24:36 : <SLIP> Copying files necessary for method 2.
2008-12-07 04:24:36 : <SLIP> Extracted additional files necessary for method 2.
2008-12-07 04:24:36 : <CRIT> Could not expand \I386\SETUP.EX_

I think I made a  mistake when I choose with method :S

Hi, DriverPacks BASE PE plugin is not method 1/not method 2, it is PE plug-in.
DriverPacks have mass PE plug-in (was not easy.. each update to DriverPack MassStorage will apparently result in some unhappines), and DriverPacks teams are working toward lan PE plugin. (not easy. Lan can cause blue screen.)
To make life truly miserable, Mass, Lan, chipset have to tapdance to same version of a tune, in same step (chipset wise/driver wise/OS wise).

ERD, far as I see, has a typical Microsoft problem when you use it to repair.
Version incompatibility (in service packs of same OS.)
I could call it Atonality.
And they have, far as I know, NO tune-fork to work around it in ERD.
(thank god M$ have released some 'across OS SP version' solutions for the backup utility. That tool allows you to get backup data back from another partition or HDD.. Before that tool, better NOT set up to same hard disk, and use exact same SP, hope backup imported without account warnings.)

I know UBCD4Win has a great set of tools.
One might think the build you build is compromised.
I don't know much about this new form of ERD, and frankly, if you have to alter ERD, you might think that build is also compromised.
You could get helix forensic tools. But hey, that's not from MSFT, so ...
(a form of ERD exists since windows 95.. I used it a LOT in 95. The version of ERD was the version you found on the install CD. and, yes, 95-sp1 ERD did not work on 95-OSR2)

Last edited by Jaak (2008-12-07 18:15:31)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.