Topic: [Add-on] Select desired DriverPacks during M2 install or after install

Ever wished you could skip one or more of the packs during the install (or repair) on a particular machine?
I did!

This project is inspired by the concept by Kal.

This tool serves two functions. It can be integrated into your install disc (M2) or it can be launched on it's own. If using it in your install disc (M2) then you must use the provided presetup.cmd file and replace the one in your i386 folder. The new presetup.cmd is in the bin folder.

As a stand alone tool I have made it compatible with x86 and x64 systems being 2000, XP, 2003, Vista or 2008.
Tested in x86 XP and x64 Vista only.

To use it in your install disc just add the tools to the OEM folder of your disc.
Replace presetup.cmd with the provided one.
Add your driverpacks to the OEM folder.

Some existing files that are no longer needed are:
dpinst.exe: contained in the x86.7z and x64.7z archives as it's different for both.
dpinst.xml: this file is created during install as it is a bit different for x86 and x64.
7-zip32.dll: not needed.
DPsFnshr.ini: This file is contained in the x86 and x64 archives. KTD is set to false. I plan on having the option to choose during install.
DPsFnshr.7z: not needed as it's called x86.7z now.

To use as a stand alone driver installer just put your driverpacks in the same folder as the DriverUpdater.exe tool and double click it. This method is x64 or x86 compatible. Tested in XP x86 and Vista x64!
In Vista I only tested it with UAC disabled. May not work if it is enabled.
Note: running it in Vista or x64, DpsFnshr will warn as being unsupported. It still does it's job despite the warning.

XP Driverpacks can be named as downloaded from this site or as base renames them. use for XP, 2000, 2003 x86 only systems
XP x64 driverpacks must be named starting 'x64DP' and the root folder must be named the same. use for XP, 2003 x64 systems
Vista driverpacks: the root folder must be Vistax64Drivers or Vistax86Drivers. The names must begin the same eg: Vistax64Drivers_lan.7z

When started, it will only allow driverpacks intended for your system to be installed.

Screenshot running in Vista x64...
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7795/capturesq4.th.jpg

The original feature request for this type of tool is here...
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 75&p=1

get DriverUpdater v0.3.6 here...
see post reply #47

please provide feedback. good or bad.
any improvement ideas?

Thanks.

==============
Edit by moderators:

just a minor update v0.3.6...

extraction is done by un7zip.exe now.

Windows 7 is supported although untested really.

view readme.txt in file.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mmvgdtjam05

this project is now abandoned due to lack of interest by me and the community. This will be the last update.

v0.3.6 Delphi source code
http://www.mediafire.com/?mbgoj3wmtzl

Last edited by jaws1975 (2010-01-28 13:47:36)

Re: [Add-on] Select desired DriverPacks during M2 install or after install

there was some forum group effort behind this, I suppose.
Is this open source?
Is this in alpha stage? (the topic title may have to be changed.)

As an aside; and FWIW, I think that releases of WAIK and DPinSt and inhouse/published tools to work with 2008 made developments like this possible.

I figure our admins want to know this up front.
Is this in autoIT?
will you help us improve it (not jut plug it).

I know this Sounds like a Cold shoulder, but I would LOVE this functionality.
I just don't know how DriverPacks will grow and what turns we'll have to take.

we have a few developments going and they would go to x64.
but XP x64 was not in the picture. (vista x64 is)

@DriverPacks, we was hounded by people craving for space on their CDR and x64 drivers were pruned out.
And, imho, there is nobody here who has access to all original drivers (we often do not know if there ever were x64 present in a set.)

The consent (in my point of view)  to date is that 64 for vista is definately not pruned, and x64 for XP shall not be edited out when we update.
(which would bring back X64 for XP whenever there is a review of a driver that had it.)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Jaak wrote:

there was some forum group effort behind this, I suppose.
Is this open source?
I this in alpha stage? (the topic title may have to be changed.)

No group. Just coded by me and tested by me.
Not open source yet. I would like to get any possible bugs worked out and add some things and then I will release the source code.
alpha? call it what ya will. It's a work in progress. v0.1 was never released it was just my first test. v0.2 was posted in the link in the first post. v0.3 is here.

Jaak wrote:

I figure our admins want to know this up front.
Is this in autoIT?
will you help us improve it (not jut plug it).

no. it's coded in Delphi. from what I've tested and read autoit does not work in presetup mode. Delphi works!
I would love for feedback to be able to improve it. What do ya want it to do? Anyone on the dev team wanna help me improve it? I am open to suggestions.

It should also work in Windows 2008 but I have no way to test it. It will show "Vista" as your OS as I didn't add a 2008 check in there.

I made it for me because I use both XP x86 and Vista x64. I wanted a driver install tool. It was easy to support both in one tool.

I plan on making my own replacement for DPsFnshr.exe because of the warnings if run in X64 or Vista. I just need to motivate myself a bit. wink

the ultimate solution for a driver installers would be have the tool run devcon to find your hwid's and then send a request to a server to get updated drivers based on that list. it downloads them and installs them with dpinst. That way you don't need any driverpacks, just the DriverUpdater tool itself.

Last edited by jaws1975 (2008-07-28 12:57:12)

RE:  it downloads them and installs them with dpinst

um if chipset and LAN drivers are not installed hoiw will you access the net?

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

So, I guess I can now finally unstick the other, partially request, thread and set this one up.
smile

Yes, please do Helmi!

--- do that voo-doo that you-do so well! --- wink big_smile tongue

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

I propose one thing to the developers. If releasing driverpacks for other OS versions in the future. ie Vista, x64 then can you use different folder names then just D for the different OS driverpacks. If you do I can have my tool only scan the proper folder for that OS after detection.
example...
install from D for XP,2000,2003 x86
install from Dx64 for XP, 2003 x64
install from DVx86 for Vista, 2008 x86
install from DVx64 for Vista, 2008 x64
That way it won't try to install the wrong drivers for your OS. it won't install them anyway but it will still take the time to try.

Updated to v0.3.1

I eliminated un7zip.exe and use 7za.exe directly for extraction. DriverUpdater would wait for un7zip which would wait for 7za. In some cases 7za.eze could freeze up causing everything to become unresponsive and hidden at the same time.
also fixed a potential problem with spaces in the path.

update at first post.

Last edited by jaws1975 (2008-07-30 14:49:43)

good job! smile

did you try muiz's Vista packs with it yet?

Re: I propose

It will ultimately make the most sense to bundle them in the same manner as the OEM's provide them. wink

i like the idea of seperation where it will not cause extra work to maintain the packs. we would not use such long file names though. wink

OverFlow wrote:

good job! smile

did you try muiz's Vista packs with it yet?

honestly I didn't know of there existence.

googling... the links on ryanvm are dead. I'll try and find them and check them out.

edit:
bad links. looking in the index of the folder I found the July archives. will report back...

edit: won't work as is as I have to change the path. fix coming soon.

edit:
this is an experimental version! please read.
you can use muiz's Vistapacks with it. you can have Vista x64, Vista x86 and XP drivers all together. It will detect your OS and only allow the correct driverpacks to be used. do not rename muiz's driverpacks (Vistax64Drivers_jul.7z, Vistax86Drivers_jul.7z). The month in the name is ignored. It uses the archive names to set the path for dpinst.exe. using with XP x64 there is no OS check as there is no unique standard for archive or path names.
tested in Vista x64 and it updated my chipset drivers!

experimental! using with Vista will cause DPsFnshr to give errors. I need to write my own version of DPsFnshr because of the new file paths.
use with bin files from v0.3.1...

:removed:

I'm off to bed now but will attempt a workaround for the DPsFnshr problem tomorrow.

Last edited by jaws1975 (2008-07-31 15:52:43)

Updated to v0.3.4

a few changes...

DPsFnshr.exe is not used when installing drivers. DriverUpdater.exe will remove all temporary and driver files after installation. This eliminates errors for unsupported systems.
DPsFnshr.exe is kept in the x86 archive because it is still used during an OS install using presetup.cmd.
I moved presetup.cmd to the bin folder. You must use it in your install disc replacing the one in your i386 folder.

If installing XP drivers they can be named as downloaded or as base renames them.
XP x64 drivers must be named starting "x64DP" and the root folder must be "x64DP" also.
for Vista driverpacks they must be as Muiz has created them.

it will only allow drivers intended for your Operating System to be shown and installed.

It is compatible with XP, 2000, 2003, Vista and 2008. x86 or x64. Windows 2008 will show as being Vista. (difficult to differentiate the two)

tested in Vista x64 and XP x86 only.

update at first post.
updated info at first post as well.

has anybody tried these??????????
zero feedback so far.
am I wasting my time?

Last edited by jaws1975 (2008-07-31 15:55:51)

welcome to my world...  wink

you appreciate it and - i appreciate your contribution

Time will tell if it is popular...
like i said dont sink a bunch of time into it right away...
If it takes off i'll make it a feature - think of this as a prototype / market analysis tool wink

jaws1975 wrote:

update at first post.
updated info at first post as well.

has anybody tried these??????????
zero feedback so far.
am I wasting my time?

Nah, certainly not.
In the other thread, you could see there was a demand.
Thing is probably just that folks may have forgotten over time.

You may want to PM the requester so that he knows of you programme.

Also, I think we have many lurkers here and folks that have not registered.
This will follow the link and use the software but do not tell about it (unfortunately).
Maybe you can monitor thread acces figures to get an idea for popularity.

It definately is on my testing list (though I see no direct need for myself), but as with the other tests, it will have to wait a while... hmm

An interesting article about 64 bit etc.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=506&tag=nl.e539

"The force is coming"

Stu

jaws1975 - Have you figured out how to include a countdown timer for your version?  I'd really like to have that option, so it could keep the Windows install unattended if the user doesn't deselect certain DriverPacks within the given amount of time.

Last edited by Echo_Platoon (2008-08-01 07:22:34)

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/5ocSdUxUxrK5g8rfTm7_39bPWgBMWiteXNH4McROrNw/perpetual:forever/userbar/mainteam-1.png

Echo_Platoon wrote:

jaws1975 - Have you figured out how to include a countdown timer for your version?  I'd really like to have that option, so it could keep the Windows install unattended if the user doesn't deselect certain DriverPacks within the given amount of time.

It does that already. When launched from presetup.cmd you pass the parameter "presetup". That tells it to not install drivers but extract only and if no interaction within 60 seconds it will auto extract all driverpacks. Use the included presetup.cmd file to prevent any problems.

Did you test it and it not work?

jaws1975 wrote:

Did you test it and it not work?

I haven't gotten a chance to test it just yet.  I just wanted to make sure it had that feature, as that is an important feature to have in my builds.  I will test this out first chance I get.  Thanks.

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/5ocSdUxUxrK5g8rfTm7_39bPWgBMWiteXNH4McROrNw/perpetual:forever/userbar/mainteam-1.png

When I run driverupdater with the presetup switch it does not detect any driverpacks.
But when I run it normally it detects them.
I am on a x86 machine.

Please help.

agni wrote:

When I run driverupdater with the presetup switch it does not detect any driverpacks.
But when I run it normally it detects them.
I am on a x86 machine.

Please help.

Sorry. I made a bunch of changes last update and I didn't test "presetup".

It's fixed now!

update at first post.

I also changed the presetup timeout from 60 seconds to 30 seconds. The timer will stop if user interaction detected.

Last edited by jaws1975 (2008-08-04 10:18:55)

Can you add this feature to your program?
Is should display the name of the driverpack instead of displaying the filename.
It is very difficult to remember which filename stands for which driverpack.

Wow you seem to have made a good job jaws, congrat ! wink

Here is my source, I didn't have time to add functions you were requesting, but feel free to do so :
RapidShare |ADrive

That would be good to merge our work and do only one DriverPacks extprctor.

Last edited by Kal (2008-08-08 01:25:37)

In the interest of good faith here is my source code for v0.3.5.

I give it to the world as open source. feel free to use it as you will.

some code is borrowed from examples on the web. google is our friend.

http://rapidshare.com/files/135945442/d … c.zip.html

note: I'm not a coder by day. this was actually the first GUI app I ever made. (not including the few Vista sidebar gadgets I made which are html/jscript)

Last edited by jaws1975 (2008-08-09 13:19:05)

Good teamwork guys... That is the spirit that "drives" us

LOL tongue   (sorry...) Rofl...

Hehe smile

jaws : i can't download your code, it says :

Error: We were unable to lookup the owner of this file, please retry your request.