Re: Sysprep MassStorage (I Think I Solution Found)

ilko wrote:

Not quite sure if you can deploy the image and make the new contents visible to PE and OFSP without restart, but should be doable.

Might depend on the imaging software used perhaps. I use DriveSnapshot myself and can run OSP after imaging without a reboot.

ilko wrote:

Or if you have already your generic image, and lets say buy a new hardware, or replace a motherboard with different one.

This is my own personal reason for creating this little tool. Sometimes I don't want to install from scratch when replacing a motherboard etc. This at least provides the option of not having to. At the requests of others, the usefulness of the tool has been extended beyond this now.

Regards,
Galapo.

Yeah, I think I got the idea of why to do it.  Problem is, I've already done all the hard work of making everything work for pretty much everything.  I have put my image on pretty much everything and it always works, regardless of CPU and chipset.  I do NOT use the BMSD option any more either, as it really has very little to do with MassStorage for most of the lines.  Amazingly, the sample Sysprep.inf files from the 2000 version has a lot of valid lines for several basic IDE and SCSI controllers, and then I go ahead and add the Intel, AMD, ALi, VIA, and VMWare drivers to the equation and that pretty much handles 95% of all computers.  Someone had a script (sorry for being lazy, don't feel like digging up where it is just at this moment... the margarita has me drowsy wink) that parsed the HWIDs and was supposed to sort and remove duplicates too but that part failed.  Popped all that into Excel and did the rest of the job on my own.  With only about a 15KB Sysprep.inf, I can handle most everything now.

And once I get all the network share issues worked out (mostly from the AMD CPU driver), then maintaining all my drivers should be a breeze! big_smile

Going to keep trying to make use of OfflineSysprep as it does indeed show some promise for my usage, but as of right at the moment, it doesn't seem to improve upon what I already have (if it ain't broke, don't fix it?).  Though.... did I mention how much I hate that flag that shows up in MySysprep? lol

Galapo wrote:

This is my own personal reason for creating this little tool. Sometimes I don't want to install from scratch when replacing a motherboard etc. This at least provides the option of not having to. At the requests of others, the usefulness of the tool has been extended beyond this now.

Yeah, I could see myself wanting to use this for myself in this manner.  I've never used WinPE, though I probably really should look into it, but straying away from something that really works well to something foreign always makes me a bit leery.

Galapo wrote:
ilko wrote:

Not quite sure if you can deploy the image and make the new contents visible to PE and OFSP without restart, but should be doable.

Might depend on the imaging software used perhaps. I use DriveSnapshot myself and can run OSP after imaging without a reboot..

Just tested with Paragon HD manager 8.0 SE, which I think is still available with free registration- deployed image and everything showed up without restart.

@DeTard- I agree, since you put that much effort and it works, why starting something new...

I am curious for comments on the legal matter for using NTLDR from x64 smile

If it's still available, I'd be very surprised... I've been looking for it for like 8 months now without success.  hmm  If you DO find it, please, send me a link to where I can find it.  Been wanting to add that to my UBCD4Win disc for a long time, but have been settling for using other tools.

What I really wish I had was a copy of Longhorn build 4051 for the NTLDR from that.... god, having something that has a built-in HAL detection would be so much more convenient.  Yeah I know, legal issues there too unfortunately, but I'd still like to try it regardless, at least to test things out.  Oh well, I might be out of luck.

DeTard wrote:

If it's still available, I'd be very surprised... I've been looking for it for like 8 months now without success.

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/hdmanager8/index
http://registry.paragon-software.com/hdm8pers/

I think I love you.

hi
I have used utilityspotlight05.exe for parsing HWIDS of all sorts, but it is not perfect.
It is good.. BUT. For instance, the current nvidia 174.53 will output zero HWIDs.
I also found out it had missed 10 folders from the 270 WLAN once had.
BUT, it is much better than nothing, and it provides more than the driverinfinforeader I use.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/maga … 60991.aspx

I adapted the inf-inforeader somewhat.

:: ********************************************************************************

:: dragdrop_inf_reader.cmd for use with DriverInfInfo.vbs

:: ********************************************************************************

:: Clear all environment variables
@echo off
set FOLDER=
set LOGFILE=
set OUTPUT=
set CLASS=
set PROVIDER=
set QUIET=
set HELP=

:: Set environment variables for DriverInfInfo.vbs switch values
:: Commemt out a line to not use a switch
@ECHO off
Echo Create Comma delimited CSV HWID lists from INF files.
echo.
echo This script overwrites a previous output if it were not renamed.
echo Bail out if you have to save an older file.
echo.
echo Drag extracted Driver folders from Windows Explorer into Dos-box
echo (or, Type a valid path to that folder. (eg C:\DriverPacks\extracted.)
set /P DPS_INF=
if not exist %DPS_INF% goto nonvalid

set FOLDER=/folder:"%DPS_INF%"
set LOGFILE=/log:HWIDLIST.CSV
set OUTPUT=/format:CSV

set QUIET=/q
:: set HELP=/?

:: Execute DriverInfInfo.vbs
echo on
cscript DriverInfInfo.vbs %FOLDER% %LOGFILE% %OUTPUT% %CLASS% %PROVIDER% %QUIET% %HELP%

for WLAN I adapted the SED_scanner we once used for reading out PCI only
It reads USB and PCI now.. it still also sorts and removes the dupes.
I once made me versions for the SED scanner for monitor and sound (modem) but misplaced those files..
It is also drag_drop.

@ECHO off
Echo Create Comma delimited CSV HWID lists from WLAN INF files spotlight cannot properly process.
echo.
echo This script removes previous CSV lists if they were not renamed.
echo Hit ESCAPE if you have to save older files first.
echo.
echo Drag extracted Driver folders from Windows Explorer into Dos-box
echo (or, Type a valid path to that folder. (eg C:\DriverPacks\NEW\WLAN.)
set /P DPS_INF=
if not exist %DPS_INF% goto nonvalid

cls
Echo on 	
::cleanup
del WLAN-dump*.csv 2>&1>nul

FOR /F "delims=" %%f in ('dir /b /s "%DPS_INF%\*.inf"') DO (

FOR /F "delims=" %%B in ('type "%%f" ^| sed -n "/PCI\\\VEN/p" ^| sed "s/.*\(PCI\\\VEN_[0-9A-Za-z&_]*\).*/\1/g"') DO (
echo %%f,%%B >> "WLAN-dump.csv"

)
)

FOR /F "delims=" %%f in ('dir /b /s "%DPS_INF%\*.inf"') DO (

FOR /F "delims=" %%B in ('type "%%f" ^| sed -n "/USB\\\VID/p" ^| sed "s/.*\(USB\\\VID_[0-9A-Za-z&_]*\).*/\1/g"') DO (
echo %%f,%%B >> "WLAN-dump.csv"

)
)

::sort file
sort "WLAN-dump.csv" /o "WLAN-sorted.csv"

::remove duped lines
type "WLAN-sorted.csv" | sed "$!N; /^\(.*\)\n\1$/!P; D" >> "WLAN-sorted-nodupes.csv"
The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Damn, server kicked my post out with a "Server Too Busy" message...  anyhow, to put it short, thanks Jaak for the scripts.  Used it for HDC drivers and made 2 lists (2000 and XP), removed all duplicates and 2003 references, and came up with two 94KB lists.  Going to try them out here in a bit, and see how incredibly long it takes Sysprep to run.  Going to also add into it the lines from 2000 Sysprep sample docs to have all the built-in drivers working too.

Ok, seriously now... I do have my coffee in the morning, but I know how to single-click the Submit button.  lol am I the only one having problems with double posting?

Last edited by DeTard (2008-05-10 01:25:43)

we had two QUAD posts the other day LOL... 

I am not a big fan of mysql to begin with and this host uses a version with a known bug... sad

i blame them !

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

If I were playing WoW I'd blame the hunter, even if there wasn't one. smile

Anyhow, on topic, I'm going to try something with my Sysprep-ed image.  I'm going to set up as I normally would, but going to use OfflineSysprep for injecting drivers ONLY.  I know this isn't the intended function of OfflineSysprep but I see no other easy way of injecting the drivers the way OfflineSysprep does, and I still am going to use MySysprep for it's HAL detection mechanisms (it really does do a good job and allows for a lot of customization on how it is detected).  Anyone have any advice on whether this is a good idea or not?

Edit:  Blah, downloading Server 2003 SP2 64-bit right now to get the NTLDR file for use with it.  Hopefully that will fix my memory problems as some others have mentioned.  (Well they said XP, but it's really the same thing on the 64-bit side.)

Last edited by DeTard (2008-05-13 12:07:51)

DeTard wrote:

Edit:  Blah, downloading Server 2003 SP3 64-bit right now to get the NTLDR file for use with it.

Is sp3 for 2k3 out is it?

Injecting drivers ONLY is indeed one intended function of OfflineSysPrep. Hope you have success! Note, though: a full pnp after first boot is definitely recommended. Which reminds me: I should allow for the possibility of running spdrvscn not just in conjunction with sysprep mini-setup as in your scenario it is probably preferrable to using SetupCopyOEMInf.

Regards,
Galapo.

Sorry, that was a typo, I meant SP2.  Was thinking XP 64-bit and 2003 altogether.  Will edit that post right away.  And I always do a full PNP, I don't care about the time required - I'll just go on to doing other things while I wait on it.  Just set VMWare to idle priority and it doesn't normally interfere with work. smile

i second that. who cares how long an unattended process takes (within reason)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Found an interesting tool from Microsoft, which may be handy- Pnpids.exe. Extracts HWIDs off single or multiple INF files to a text file.
Couldn't test it further, as it seems to run on Win2000 only.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263235/en-us

Direct download:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/ … X86_EN.exe

Probelm pnpids.exe does not work neither on XP, Vista...