Topic: Choose DriverPacks during (attended) Installation

Hi,

first thank for all the nice dirverpacks. They are great.
But sometimes there comes up bluescreens on some pc´s, so  i´m searching for a something that you could use to choose what driverpacks you want to have or not during install.
Has someone an idea how to make that? Thanks for your help.

Re: Choose DriverPacks during (attended) Installation

You can already chose which packs to include (slipstream) to your source in the BASE (i.e. no DriverPack WLAN if you don't have WLAN).
As they are supposed to be unattended, having a selection menu during installation is not the best idea.

I'd rather advise you to find out which drivers excatly are casuing the BSOD, then file a report in the respective sub-forum for that DP and hope our team can sort it out.
After all, it's best to totall cure a problem rather than simply avoiding it, right? smile

Thanks but i wanne run it on difffrent pc´s! So that will not fix my problem.

If you know what driver it is causing the trouble you can simply unpack the DP, delete the driectory it's in and repack (for instructions see the links in my sig!).

Still, as I said, it's better to report the "faulty" drivers so our Team can fix them for the next release.
That way, you will also help others that may have the same problem.

wink I will report next time i have a prob but still same. I´m istalling my release on many pc´s and i don´t wanne make a new version for everybody! And i know that it´s possible because i saw it allready. But i need a tip how.

Well, in case I didn't make that clear enough already, you won't have to make a new version for each PC (that would be insane and totaly contradictionary to the maxime of the DriverPacks anyway!) if you report the problems and our team fixes them wink

That's the best of both worlds, really! big_smile

I'm not sure where you want to have seen that because it certainly is not officially supported.
What you can do (and that has already been discussed numerous times on this forum) is simply deleteing specific dirs from the DriverPacks which contain the drivers you do not want/cause problems for you.
Then simply repack them as 7-Zip (see the tut link) and there you go.

I would really appreciate this feature. Sometimes I don't want to install graphic driver because my CD is old and I want to install latest drivers. Or, I don't want to to include WLAN/SATA drivers because the computer where I'm installing windows doesn't have WLAN neither SATA.

I thought I could develop it in C#, but it requires .NET and it's not possible to get .NET installed at first reboot. And I don't know how to code a graphical user interface using classic Win32 API. sad

Drivers are only installed for devices that exist in the machine...

I don't want to to include WLAN/SATA drivers because the computer where I'm installing windows doesn't have WLAN neither SATA

If you dont have any wireless adapters in your machine then no WLAN drivers will be installed...
all of the drivers are not installed, they are just made available to windows setup.
only the drivers that are neccessary for a machine are used the rest are ignored.

So it would seem that DriverPacks does exactly what you want right out of the box.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

If I don't want to install included graphics driverpacks, I can't.
If there's a BSOD because of SATA drivers, I have to find another machine to burn the CD without SATA driverpacks. Of course, I will notify the bug to the team, but I won't be able to install windows directly, I'll have to burn a new version of my XP CD : and for this, I need an avalaible computer.

if you are getting a BSOD because of SATA drivers there is no way aro9und burning a new CD...

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

well i took SATA as example as i could take graphics driverpacks as example wink
If nobody wants to do this feature request, maybe I'll try to do it. Which language could I use for this? I usually code in C#/Java, I know code in C too but never made GUI in C.

This would require editing presetup.cmd.

to accept user input and branch you could add a

SET /p Variable=

help yourself...

PS since we support unattended installs, adding a stop for user input is not in keeping with our goals.
This will not be a feature - unless we add attended installs as a platform in the future.

Yes I know that it's presetup.cmd that is launched at first reboot. Thanks anyway.

presetup.cmd is the only way to deal with what you want to do.

there are no other opportunitys to stop the windows installation prior to DriverPacks.

In fact, what I had in mind was something like : launch a GUI from presetup.cmd that will allow end user to choose which driverpacks he wants to use. If no interaction is detected over 60 seconds, then automatically use all avalaibles driverpacks.

yes... that would be easy and effective

we use autoit for DriverPacks but you can use whatever you're comfortable with.

Well, I need a non managed language, such as C/C++/Delphi/AutoIt. I'm confortable with C, but I don't know any gui builder for this. I'll have a loog at AutoIt which seems easier.

if you were going to spend some time on this you could even write your GUI so that you could select from multiple versions of a pack too...

I see real potential to this being a cool feature of an attended install.
and I have been considering adding attended setup as a platform.
We have had several requests for attended support, for various different reasons.
It does seem to be a logical extention of what we do and you have added yet another reason to support it.
When I add attended installation platform it seem resonable that multiboot should also be addressed (attended or not boot option)

Bâshrat the Sneaky's long term goals include adding a make ISO option from the GUI.
if that were added and attended installs were suported then a multiboot option would be the next logical step...

Thanks for your feedback.
From your original post is was not clear what was needed or why it was needed.
Now it is crystal clear on both What and Why and I agree that this could be very helpful.
although i must say i would rather fixe the packs so that this feature is not ever necessary wink

thanks a million
Jeff

I'm glad that you agree on this feature. I rent a book at library to learn Delphi. As I'm already an exprienced developper, it shouldn't take a lot of time for me to learn this new language. I'll try to write a GUI with these features :
- Lists all DriverPacks found in a directory with the possibility to extract them or net
- Set a timer that will end the application of no user activity is detected. In that case, all DriverPacks found will be extracted.

Cheers,
Kal

Last edited by Kal (2008-06-18 11:24:03)

I seem to remember requesting this feature a while back (don't have time to search for the post), and was shot down... hmm
O well, this was exactly what I was requesting before. a selection with a timeout, so that it would not break the unattended. And maybe also a selection for 3rd party (sometimes I just don't want to wait for some of the larger packs to extract it the system doesn't have the components).

I've been too busy to follow up on a lot of things, and this wasn't high on my list of topics to bring back up, but Thanks for taking an interest in it this time around! wink

Well "I" am not supporting it wink ...

I just recognized that this would be cool.
I also said that this would be cool for an attended setup (which we don't support... yet)

i think the difference is he is going to code it  vs  you wanted me to code it smile

I am always interested, i just dont always agree wink

thanks twig, you're awsome in my book.

OverFlow wrote:

he is going to code it  vs  you wanted me to code it smile

Oh, c'mon... you know you wanna code it tongue

LOL - i think that this will be a nice feature... and i think adding attended setup as a platform is going to happnen too.

I'm curently writing the program to get the choice during installation. Here's a screenshot on how it will look like :
http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/671/dpsxtrctdi9.th.png

It checks for every 7z files in current directory of exe file. Then, it looks in an INI file if a DriverPack name is present for each 7z files found. For example :

[general]
DPC803.7z=DriverPack Chipset 8.03
DPCP804.7z=DriverPack CPU 8.04
DPGA804.7z=DriverPack Graphics A 8.04
DPGB804.7z=DriverPack Graphics B 8.04
DPGC804.7z=DriverPack Graphics C 8.04
DPL8053.7z=DriverPack LAN 8.05.3
DPM805.7z=DriverPack MassStorage 8.05
DPSA805.7z=DriverPack Sound A 8.05
DPSB805.7z=DriverPack Sound B 8.05
DPW806.7z=DriverPack WLAN 8.06

Auto extraction is launched after 1 minute if no activity (keyboard/mouse) is detected. Feel free to give any suggestions. I need to test it before publishing it.

Kal

Last edited by Kal (2008-07-02 11:09:04)

Ok it seems to work like a charm! I modified a bit the GUI to show file names. Here is a screenshot on a real install through vmware :
http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/5250/dpsextractorzm6.th.png

In the futur, I could add some options to such as enabling ATI Catalyst Control Panel for DriverPacks Graphics A...

If someone is interested in this software, I will post the binaries and source under GPL.

Cheers!