Topic: REQ - Offer ability NOT to create [Unattended]

User case:
Mike wants to create a XP disc which is installable on every harddrive that exist. He finds DP and though he is new to the program, he finds the GUI easy and understandable. It gives information about the process and gives him possibility to choose different settings. He slipstreams MassStorage and makes a .iso file.

When he has burned the .iso onto a CD he finds the XP installation process unfamiliar to what he expected. He no longer gets EULA, repair function, ability to format harddrive and many more small things he remembered from last time he installed XP. He gets confused and thinks DP wasn't that good after all. It was supposed to give XP all drivers it needed, but instead it changed the installation process.

Solution:
Offer a checkbox to make [Unattended] section in winnt.sif. Explain what this means, why you would like it and why not so that users can get what they want. DriverPack offer to install drivers, nothing more. Users like myself don't expect nor want to loose abilities then. The fix is easy, but it should be already in the slipstreaming process as a checkbox.

Thread where it started, but please write any comments about this feature request here:
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=2723

Last edited by Frants (2008-05-22 20:25:41)

Re: REQ - Offer ability NOT to create [Unattended]

Your title should read

[REQ] Add support for new platform - Attended installation / Repair.

Good idea... I'm sure we could see this in the next release...

and described as? 

unattended option;
check to optimze for full unnattended [default]
clear for the 'repair' option [attended platform support]

suggestions?

I would like to state the expectation we have always set is the unnattended disk install platform.
so if someone were to expect something that we don't support that is not our fault.

however your thoughtfulness and politeness could expand that support base.

Again your complaining that an UNSUPPORTED platform is not included.

but it should be already in the slipstreaming process as a checkbox.

No... unsupported features should not already be included. think about it... period. end of discussion on that one.

Now you are really close to talking me into adding support for a whole new platform... attended setup.
That is a whole new set of issues for us to have to support. so it is my time to code it and then support it too.
i don't appreciate the attitude that i somehow owe you or that you are entitled to anything.

you are asking me to do you a huge favor and acting like i owe you one.
I am not sure at this point i want to take on support of a group of people who aren't appreciative.
We save you time and money ask nothing in return and you have nothing nice to say.

What would you do?
you want me to spend a couple of hours at my keyboard to save you 20 seconds of your time.
and you wont even be polite or respectful or appreciative

Be Nice. (not good when i have to recommend this more than once)

Also the functionality you wish can be had by selecting only mass storage text mode.
selecting any of the other packs or selecting GUIrunonce will create winnt.sif.
although this is not a "feature" it does provide the function you require.
i could explain why this is, but i will leave that to you since you seem to have this all figured out.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

I would like to state the expectation we have always set is the unnattended disk install platform.
so if someone were to expect something that we don't support that is not our fault.

I agree.

But. I don't try to act like you would owe me something. I'm absolutely aware of that you do not. I just try to make myself understood as good as I can with my poor English. (It's not my native language.)

I don't understand the rest of what you are saying. Support a different platform? Hours in front of keyboard? All I asked for was a checkbox to make the last change made in Base optional. Some users didn't like it, well make it optional then. So that users who just wants drivers can use DP Base and get what they want.

Alright, I had Masstorage textmode but also GUIrunonce checked since it was default.

Frants wrote:

I don't understand the rest of what you are saying. Support a different platform? Hours in front of keyboard? All I asked for was a checkbox to make the last change made in Base optional.

Coding
Testing
Debugging
More testing
Beta Testing by the DP Support Team Members.
Debugging
Public Release
more Coding/Debugging or Feature requests.

You would be surprised how time consuming things that seem simple are and how long it can take to implement, as there are many "backstage" things that anyone not part of the testing team wouldn't really realize.

My suggestion, try not to come off condescending on something that you are getting for free... and maybe even offer to help! wink

Yeah sure, my bad.

But I am helping wink Trying right now out the latest nightly of Masstorage as requested in another thread to see if Intel AHCI works now.

When I've learned something more useful than Java I would be more than glad to help!

You still clearly are not getting the point here.  Ok, first by "different platform" he is talking about an attended setup.  Yes, YOU want one little checkbox to be a convenience so you don't forget to remove a few lines from a file.  But he is suggesting doing it the right way - if you are going to do something that would imply an attended setup, why wouldn't you do everything else that it might entail?

And then when he does spend all that time in front of a computer typing code to do things the right way?  Then the rest of the testers have to spend countless hours making sure it works in all cases, or if not, noting where it breaks.

Sure, you are helping, but only in suggesting a new path for where BASE will take us.  It's a big topic, don't trivialize it.

Frants wrote:

Yeah sure, my bad.

But I am helping wink Trying right now out the latest nightly of Masstorage as requested in another thread to see if Intel AHCI works now.

When I've learned something more useful than Java I would be more than glad to help!

Frants?
I hope that was not DriverPack MassStorage testpack 805D which I pulled because it will fail in live test.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Hmm nope. The one I downloaded was testpack 805C and it worked!!

Aspire 5325 laptop and the .iso contained XP Pro SP3 with DP Masstorage 805C textmode slipstreamed through M2 and the three lines deleted from winnt.sif. Harddrive detected, XP got installed and drivers just worked smile This was when AHCI was selected in BIOS.

I get HWIDs in 24 hours. My friend had some problem with ethernet driver for WinXP.