Topic: [REQ] 64bit support - No... Not for NT5 based platforms

Not sure if this is the exact location to ask this... But I didn't see a location for driverpack requests...
I use the driver packs and love them! Thank you so much for making them!
I have a request though, I know you don't support 64bit OSes, but would it be possible to get a 64bit Mass Storage pack? I don't care to much about the other ones because it is easy enough to add most other drivers, but the Mass Storage ones are rather difficult to add. I'm specifically referencing 2003 64x.
Just wanted to see what feedback on this would be...

Re: [REQ] 64bit support - No... Not for NT5 based platforms

Well lets say this is the second request for 64 bit drivers in more than a year. I prioritize by feedback. So

Very very very very low priority. which is not a no -
it is just that nobody else wants it... i get more requests for 98 driver-packs than 64 bit packs...

maybe someday. I have my sights set on Vista and opening up the rest of the packs for BartPE ATM.

As I always say: What happens here is based on feedback. squeaky wheels get grease...
(inverse is: no squeak no grease)

unfortunately 64bit OS's are rare and the demand also...

Thanks for asking and your praise
The team works hard to put out current and reliable packs.
One and all deserve to be credited and praised. There is to little of that
and we are all volunteers - they are my/our kind of heroes...

Rally the troops and continue to be polite - who knows... 

PS yeah you put it in the wrong forum knucklehead wink lol - moved - hee hee

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Sorry bout the wrong forum... I thought that this forum was *only* for the base program.. Guess I was wrong...  sad
Thanks for the reply. I'm just having a hard time figuring out how to integrate a bunch of mass storage drivers for a 64bit version of Server 2003.. So I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask...
Anywho thanks for the awesome work you guys have done for the Windows community.

It never hurts to ask... and you have increased the demand for this by 100% all by yourself...

your request is for a base feature whether you realize it or not... wink

there are actually many 64 bit drivers that have slipped into the packs over time.
we just need the code to integrate/slipstream them into a 64bit file structure (a base function)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Sweet! I'm worth 100%...  smile  Yeah I actually did figure out that it was for the base program because I did a search before I posted and found a 3rd party pack (from 2006) that said in bold red letters that it can't be slipstreamed with the base program.

he used search....

THUD... 

Sorry, I fell out of my chair!

I am upgrading you to 110%...

Don't hurt yourself.
Well I find that using search is faster then posting.. Because more often than not someone has had the same idea or question...   wink

xenon2050 wrote:

Well I find that using search is faster then posting.. Because more often than not someone has had the same idea or question...   wink

If only the majority would share that impression...

My guess is the just search very slowly because they certainly don't appear to be of the fast-typing kind, lol smile

/semi-spam

Hi,
I'll look at technet for WAIK for x64.. Maybe we find a way to seed txtmode.
I think I still have that X64 storage pack on hard disk.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Wow, that started a small flurry of posts from one of our regulars... perhaps the user-base is growing...
64 bit machines are more popular now.
Lets see if our 64 bit users will be choosing Vista before i get to carried away.
It may be it will be easier to only support 64bit with Vista or later OS's.

As you have discovered from personal experience slipstreaming mass storage is quite involved.

Thoughts?...

I found no specific DDK / waik for XPx64 sad
OTOH, the current DPinst from WAIK1.1  should work on X64 too. (but I did not test that yet.)
(too bad the "third party 601x for X64 links" are all dead.).

I have XP OEM x64 licences I could give away, and the MSDN account also provided licences to test this OS..

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Hi !

I also encourage everyone to think about 64bit driverpacks. I am currently using Vista x64 since I have 8GB RAM in my machine.  (cheap these days). Now, I am not entirely happy with Vista so I am thinking about downgrading to XP again but I would like to keep using the 8GB RAM inside so it probably would be XP64 then.

Anyway, thanks for listening !
Alex

To quote OverFlow:

Well lets say this is the second request for 64 bit drivers in more than a year. I prioritize by feedback.

So I did another search (yes I know, amazing) and this is actually the third request in the last year...  smile
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=2251
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=1915

Just thought I'd add that...  wink

well i didn't do a search... that was just my memory...

and i thought i was starting to get forgetful in my old age... wait...

I forgot about 33% of the posts... Rats... my memory is failing (jeff is sad now)

wink

Yeah sheesh a 33% forget rate... You might want to get that checked...  smile

Just wanted to add something else... As far as 64bit DriverPacks go I really only care about the mass storage drivers... Those are a pain to integrate by hand and half the time they don't seem to work when I do... I don't understand what other people do... Do they all really use a floppy? I find that hard to believe with businesses that deploy 64bit Server 2003... Anywho just wanted to add that. I'm not sure what behind the scenes work would need to be done to get the Base to work with 64bit DriverPacks, but I sure would love it... I'm surprised that more people haven't requested it...

Server 2003 already supports a lot more MassStorage Controllers than XP does.
At least on the systems I tested, I never needed additional drivers to make it detect the RAID controllers etc.

Yeah, I only wish that was the case with me... I am using a relatively common 3ware controller and it doesn't have that and I am having a very hard time figuring out how to get it to work... So this brand new server is just sitting around until I can get drivers integrated... well I probably would have figured something out by now, I just haven't had the time...

so, is 64bit supported currently or is work still going on. am confused

the work has not begun due to lack of interest...

That's too bad. I would love to see support for 64bit XP as there is just no way I will install vista.

Well as long as you are looking for interest, I'll make the wheels squeak a little more.  Love to see support for 64-bit, XP and Vista.

vista will absolutely be supported in 64bit...

XP,  we will see...

I love x64!!!!!!!! XP and Vista.

It is not looking like a land-slide yet...

according to the news page we get 32 thousand downloads a day - on average
Less than a handful of people interested enough to post.
I do realize those votes could represent hundreds or thousands of other users
but if they wont even say hello, like this idea, and thanks for being here... shame on them wink

So it's enough interest to make it on the list, just not as a priority item -
they do say good things come to those who wait... big_smile