Re: Downgrading to xp from vista

this will not be easy in your case... the multi-boot for vista is tougher to deal with.

I would install xp then vista but you will not be able to do this easily. you have a vista restore disk not an install disk. (I assume)

so you will have to start with your vista restore image then install XP to a second partition - then repair your VIsta bootloader, which will get confused by the XP install...

you can search for step by step instructions for that. I have not spotted a good one yet nor a good tool to do it for you...

I am sure ssomebody here will point you in the right direction. We have a lot of very good Techs who hang out here. Most of our audience and members are IT professionals with years of experience (and can get set in thier ways). Often I am hard on them if you read my posts, but I have been around / into computers since the 60's and have to work sometimes to make them "think outside the box". 

If people are respectful and polite as you have been then patients follows, even if it is not technicaly within the scope of our forum.
Sometimes it is even easier to teach someone who has no preconcieved notions.

I expect Muiz or one of our other hard core Vista users will toss you a bone here. wink
In the time being a google search for dual boot xp vista will yeild some good help.

you have worked hard to get here and I am convinced that with your tenacity that you can do this.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

i searched on google for installing xp on a preinstalled vista and they all say the same thing. But none of them have any proper information about installing xp on a preinstalled vista with sata hard drive. They tell u to make a partition first through vistas built in disk management and then pop in ur xp cd  and using vista boot loader after xp is done installing and thats about it. I tried doing that and failed 2 times sad But this was with a normal windows xp cd without any of those driverpacks. So what are the good chances of it working with the cd with the driver packs? If i had an external hard drive i would be able to backup my stuff but i dont so the only option i have is to try from the partition way or else i would have formatted the whole hard drive and started fresh. When i got my pc it came in 2 partitions, 1 with vista and the other partition for vista recovery. So if i erase the whole disk then i am loosing my vista recovery too sad

My sata driver on vista right now is this "Intel(R) 82801HR/HH/HO SATA RAID Controller". Is that the same for xp?

Last edited by Sc1ent1st (2008-05-01 10:15:48)

there are some good tools to do what you need... I like partition magic. but it is not free...

with that you could split your vista partition and keep your restore partition too. so you would have three partitions.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

i have all my partitions set up smile All i have to do now is to install xp in someway cause i even have the cd with every single driverpack smile But i am scared that it might screwed up again sad I am just trying to find more information from google and reading stuff about how to install xp on a different partition sad Should i take the risk now anyways with the cd and all the driverpacks? If i screw up i will have to do a system recovery again :'( I dont have a floppy drive so i cant load the drivers by pressing F6 during the installation... but isnt that why the driverpacks are there for? they are gonna load all the drivers, if they match my drivers, automatically right?

Last edited by Sc1ent1st (2008-05-01 11:01:59)

By george i think you have got it.

PS you will know right away if it is going to play -
as soon as you get to thescreen where it asks you which partition to load it on.
If it does not say "No Drives Found" you are good to go...

Then you can use XP to repair your vista boot loader - you found the details for that yourself (well done)

Jeff

PS there is always a risk... I blow myself up frequently and i have been doing this sh*t forever. It happens.
(although i do have an external drive and i ALWAYS make a bakcup image of my drive. and if it is valuable to me i make two backups on different media IE HDD and DVD)

but the last 2 times i tried with windows xp sp2 without any driverpacks, it went passed all those blue screens and it even copied all the files from the cd into the partition with xp...... and then everything stopped working.... after the reboot neither xp loaded up or did vista.... I dont know why that happened

IDK why it happend either - not for sure... But lets assume that haveing every driver known to windows available to setup will be teh answer. nothing ventured nothing gained...

ur right i should try this thing out. I guess the next time i will posting a message on this website might be with a smile face or a sad face. Thanks for all your help. I really hope it works smile

it would help if we find out what chip that darn thing has.

load order in DriverPacks mass storage is a killer, or a saviour.
Method 1 is the most efficient and most robust when you need repair option. (or upgrade option)

One of the ugly spanner in the works is wide screen displays when you use bootvista.org boot repair.
It works well on standard tft, but widescreens make it go awkward.

I'll be back after some work at another site.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE ALL YO PEOPLE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YO GUYS ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!! LIKE I DONT KNOW WHAT THE h*ll TO SAY MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE INSTALLATION WENT AMAZINGLY!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU GUYS OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG I GOT XP TO LOAD UP AND I AM SENDING THIS MESSAGE ON XP!!!!!!! OMGGGGGGGGGG YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY THANKS SOOOOOOO DAMN MUCH!!!!!!!!!! I just have to use the bootloader and fix the vista bootup thing now. THANKS SOO MUCH AGAIN!!!!!! I REALLY APPRECIATE IT PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!

Scientist, by the name you chose for yourself I knew you are a person who does not like to give up.
You must have wondered about some reports we asked for.

I also wondered about your reading ability.. some links were so obvious to me I forget that people tend to forget to look at links.
I will make a wager.
7 months from now you are either a valued helper, or a person we once helped.
I think you have the guts and stamina to become a helper.
I suggest to slowly go over some of the hints we dropped.
Keep them in mind when you try out something you never did before, and figure out what made the difference between a working build and a wasted effort.

We have a small forum, and great people.
You are the sort of guy I like.
smile

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Thanks man but if it wasnt for the driver packs and ur team, i wouldnt be at this stage right now. I would still be making copies of windows xp discs and probably patching with the DriverPacks base program. You guys are doing an amazing job helping out people and i hope you guys keep doing it for a very long time. You have no clue how much you guys have been a help for me. To be honest i have been wanting to use xp from the day i bought my new pc which was about 6 months ago. Vista is really annoying especially cause i got a crappy video card with my pc and i cant afford to buy a good graphics card atm sad Thanks soo much again. If i ever see anyone like me with the same problem, i am gonna help em out and give them the right info like you guys did to me.

It is you who deserves the props.

You approached us (off topic) with a good attitude and the willingness to put in the effort and to do research yourself.

You did this not us. We didnt even have to hold your hand. We just gave you a few good hints.
I am proud of you! as you should be proud of yourself.

I agree with jaak you could become a contributer here and give back to the community.
You don't have to be a genius or have decades of experience -
just a good atttude. (makes me wonder how i got here tongue )

Congrats you da man!

jeff

OverFlow wrote:

there are some good tools to do what you need... I like partition magic. but it is not free...

In this case, I may have something for you:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

It's quite similar to PMs GUI (you can do all the steps first then apply them all at once etc.) it's free and even Open Source.

Just grab the live CD, burn in to a disc, reboot and off you go! smile

I am so glad when i see your posts Helmi... smile

I bookmarked that one - just because you touted it.

OverFlow wrote:

I am so glad when i see your posts Helmi... smile

Just be careful you don't wet your pants next time you see one of my posties! big_smile tongue

OverFlow wrote:

hey i am not such a noob with the internet... tongue

me neither. smile :-) wink

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

the fact you found us reinforces that...

hey if i really want something.... i wont stop until i get it smile Thats just the way i am or else i wont be able to sleep properly tongue

You need SLEEP ?????

The DP team never sleeps.

We also have a sense of humour.

I'm sorry, but this is going to sound dumb ... but I'm confused.  I have a new Gateway and I get BSD's when I try to 'downgrade' to XP ... I know you've heard that millions of time.  Anyway, found a post about how to get a CD to run (http://tinyurl.com/4mpwps).  Now, I've slipstreamed CD's before (w/ nLite) and had no problem (not a total newb).  What I don't understand is 'when I get my drivers from you and I do the slipstream, are you modifying the code on the desktop where I put all the XP installation file?  So I then nlite from those?'  I guess I need a 'dummies' book ;-)

Look at the excellent tutorial by Jaak.

The following link will take you there:

http://users.pandora.be/jtdoom/basetute/Eng_tut6b.htm