Topic: Cant Burn CDs

Let me preface this by saying Im not positive this is a DriverPack problem.
I use the driverpacks with DPbase and then nlite to slip stream service packs etc.
I created an Nlited XP Pro CD about 6 months ago. It has just now come to my attention that none of those PCs (10 of them) can burn CDs. They cant burn CDs using Explorer or any third party app I installed. The drive IS recognized as a burner.

I'm wondering what I could have removed to cause this. I generally dont remove components but I dont have the disc to check what was removed. I think only some drivers and tweaks were added.

I really dont want to reinstall XP on all of them (that was the way I was able to fix the one I've worked on.)

Even a Windows Repair didn't fix it.

I tried swapping physical drives to try and kick into gear but that didn't help either.

I have tried the MS help regarding CD burner issues.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

Re: Cant Burn CDs

Dif. sounds like a build issue (nlite, additional software or something of the sort causing it)... however, I highly doubt it is an issue with the Driverpacks.

I can try to help, but need more info.
Windows XP built in writing uses the IMAPI service... is this service started?
Is there any errors when you try to write a disk using the built in XP method?

What 3rd party burning software is being used? Roxio is known for causing things like this.
Have you tried more than 1 3rd party app (what ones)?
Do all the system's have the same burning software?

You should still be able to burn discs using a 3rd party application (such as Nero, for instance; you can get a free fully functional demo at http://www.nero.com ) even if you removed XP's built-in burning capability and/or disabled the burning service (I need to do the latter for DVD-RAMs to work properly - or rather, the DVD-RAM driver does disable the service itself).

As there are no drivers regarding ODDs in the DriverPacks, I also cannot see how it would be related.
I presume the drive works properly as a reader?

The imapi service starts during the burning process then stops.
The error is cannot burn CD disc may be unuseable... in XP.  But no errors in Event log.

I used CD Burner XP Pro and Nero to test with 3rd party apps.

the drive works properly as a reader.  And if I move it to another PC it works fine.  Also if I reinstall Windows it will work as I have 10 of these and reinstalled windows on 2 already.  Really trying to avaoid that.

if the process stops it should create an event in the log (it might not be flagged as an error) take a look based on teh time stamps for events that coincide time wise.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

hi,
this vbs resets upper/lower filters.
Reboot, then try again.
http://users.pandora.be/jtdoom/xp_cd_dvd_fix.vbs

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.