Topic: [Help] Install Window MCE from network share

Hey all,

I'm trying to install Windows MCE from a network share, however the COMPNTS (sp? @work now so not in front of it) folder is not copied because it is outside the I386 folder, thus the files are not being copied and installed. How would I go about "reprogramming" the install so that I can just move the COMPNTS (sp?) folder inside of the I386 folder?

I tried moving the folder and changing the 2 files that I found that referenced that folder and just added an additional \I386 in front of the path.. but setup crashes @ the T-39min phase...

Any advise? (I can get more detailed info once I get home if need be)

Re: [Help] Install Window MCE from network share

i think the key is in the $OEM$ (or network install equivalent) folders

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

From what I understand, the $OEM$ folder isn't handled since the network install only sees the contents of I368... I don't fully understand the processes of how/why this is, but maybe I'm wrong. Any other thoughts?

in a network install the $OEM$ folder is still used however the layout is a little different.

instead of the layout drive:\$OEM$
it uses the layout \folder\I386\$OEM$

IE the OEM folder becomes a subfolder of I386 instead of being in the root of the disk.

check out the other post your following
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=2473

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Thanks for the info about the $OEM$ folder (I did not know that...) As I am just starting to play around with PXE boot and TFTP installs (Without a Server based OS) it's been a bumpy road to try to get things working. I guess my final goal is to make an image that will work off a Network share as well as a CD/DVD with little to no modification needed, so I guess I can place the $OEM$ folder in both (Drive:)\$OEM$ and (Drive:)\I386\$OEM$ and make an "Optimized" ISO when a CD is made it will have "Virtual Links" to the files and still be the same size as if there were only 1 $OEM$ folder...

Right now I have am running XP Pro as my OS. On my OS I have Python running BINL service for so that when a system PXE boots it grabs the network driver needed from BINL. I then have TFTP32 serving as a DHCP for the PXE clients and loading PXELinux to serve a menu screen to choose what OS or Diag. tool to run over the network. Right now I seem to have XP Pro and Home installing (Only clean sorce, nothing modified yet) and those seem to install just fine, but I ventured into problems when I hit MCE, as it has the CMPNENTS folder outside of the I386 folder and I haven't had time to really look into it. I quickly modified the DOSNET.inf, LAYOUT.INF and TXTSETUP.SIF files to point to the location \I386\cmpnents\mediactr\I386, but to no avail I get an error during the T-39 phase (don't have error off hand). In the textmode portion of setup I do see that it does copy the MEDIACTR.CAB file so the folder is being copied... but I'm lost as to what to try next.

I'll continue to follow the thread that you mention to try to advance my existing Pro and Home copies to include the driver packs, but it would be nice to get over this little MCE bump as well. big_smile

~Dave

(OMG, my longest post in a long time now! hehe)

Last edited by twig123 (2008-03-16 05:06:52)

This is found in dosnet.inf:

[Directories]
d1 = \I386
d2 = \cmpnents\tabletpc\I386
d3 = \cmpnents\mediactr\I386
d4 = \cmpnents\netfx\I386

txtsetup.sif:

[SourceDisksNames.x86]
1  = %cdname%,%cdtagfilei%,,\i386
2 = "%cd2name%","%cd2tagfilei%",,\cmpnents\tabletpc\i386
3 = "%cd2name%","%cd2tagfilei%",,\cmpnents\mediactr\i386
4 = "%cd2name%","%cd2tagfilei%",,\cmpnents\netfx\i386

I've never tested changing these items... but it should work. wink

Nice to see you around these parts Siginet!

Those Indeed are the files that I modified, as well the LAYOUTS file looks to have the same code as txtsetup.sif (which I modified as well). While playing around with editing files, I somehow corrupted my source and will test modifying those files again once I get some free time. But sadly, I get to work 13hr days all this week, so my progress may be slow.

Use the /makelocalsource:all switch when using a winnt32 install. This will copy the CMPNENTS folder down for MCE/TPC

Thanks for the suggestion... but unfortunately I don't use the winnt32 install method, so I don't think this will work out for me. I'm currently using a PXE boot to a linux boot manager... and starting the install from the network (acts like a normal CD/DVD install), and goes through Textmode setup and then GUI. I believe the switch that was provided will only work if launched from a Windows environment or WinPE, is this correct?