Topic: How add massstorage driver for windows 2003 universally image!!!!

Sorry!My English is comparatively bad!!!

I want to make a ghost image being applied or used universally , this image asks the server being able to recover to great majority to go ahead. This includes as well as server having different type scsi card among them.

Whether be or not this driverpacks being able to achieve this?

Be an ghost image , be not a bootable CD !!!

thks!!!

Re: How add massstorage driver for windows 2003 universally image!!!!

Is not my expression is not correct??

Ghost images are made after windows install is finished.

Driverpacks are applied during windows installation by setup.

You would need to have a ghost image for each HAL and Primary HDD (boot partition) controler type that you have.
If all of your machines are the same type (HAL and mass storage) you can use ghost.
Otherwise you must have one ghost image per machine type.

RIS is an option that may work for you. If you wish to use DriverPacks with RIS I suggest RogueSpear's AutoImage

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

thanks OverFlow. Can you tell me a few of the forums in this regard?

If I say, a wrong, please forgive me this is because the machine translation.

I can understand you, but I can not write my words, because I am very poor level of English spelling

Last edited by chinaren12 (2008-02-23 14:57:54)

the link is to the forum...

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

OverFlow wrote:

Ghost images are made after windows install is finished.

Driverpacks are applied during windows installation by setup.

You would need to have a ghost image for each HAL and Primary HDD (boot partition) controler type that you have.
If all of your machines are the same type (HAL and mass storage) you can use ghost.
Otherwise you must have one ghost image per machine type.

RIS is an option that may work for you. If you wish to use DriverPacks with RIS I suggest RogueSpear's AutoImage

It is possible to have a unified image, even across different HAL types. (In particular, I know that switching HALs works between the various ACPI HAL types of ACPI PC/ACPI Uniprocessor/ACPI Multiprocessor, however going back and forth to the old Standard PC and MPS PC HAL types may not work.)  I discovered this technique in the summer of 2006 while attempting to create a unified Windows XP Ghost image that would work on many hardware types (laptops, desktops of various makes and models, all using ATA drives or SATA drives in ATA mode (not AHCI mode).  The commercial software package Universal Imaging Utility (UIU) from Binary Research has similar capability (http://binaryresearch.net/products/the_universal_imaging_utility/features ).

Recently I have been evaluating using DriverPacks to enhance the unified Ghost image to add additional mass storage controller support beyond those built into Windows XP SP2, especially Intel AHCI support.

The key to unifying the HAL is to have your master image be a ACPI PC, and then after deploying it changing the HAL type to ACPI Uni or ACPI Multiprocessor.  To re-enable the ability to make this change using the Device Manager, edit these sections of HAL.INF to read as follows:

[GENDEV_SYS]
%E_ISA_UP.DeviceDesc%     = E_ISA_UP_HAL, E_ISA_UP, MPS_UP, MPS_MP, ACPIPIC_UP, ACPIAPIC_UP, ACPIAPIC_MP   ; Standard PC
%ACPIPIC_UP.DeviceDesc%   = ACPIPIC_UP_HAL, ACPIPIC_UP, ACPIAPIC_UP, ACPIAPIC_MP                           ; ACPI PIC-based PC
%ACPIAPIC_UP.DeviceDesc%  = ACPIAPIC_UP_HAL, ACPIPIC_UP, ACPIAPIC_UP, ACPIAPIC_MP              ; ACPI APIC-based PC (UP)
%ACPIAPIC_MP.DeviceDesc%  = ACPIAPIC_MP_HAL, ACPIPIC_UP, ACPIAPIC_UP, ACPIAPIC_MP              ; ACPI APIC-based PC (MP)
%MPS_UP.DeviceDesc%       = MPS_UP_HAL, MPS_UP, MPS_MP, ACPIPIC_UP, ACPIAPIC_UP, ACPIAPIC_MP   ; MPS UP PC
%MPS_MP.DeviceDesc%       = MPS_MP_HAL, MPS_UP, MPS_MP, ACPIPIC_UP, ACPIAPIC_UP, ACPIAPIC_MP   ; MPS MP PC

[COMPAQ_SYS]
%SYSPRO_MP.DeviceDesc%    = SYSPRO_MP_HAL, SYSPRO_MP, E_ISA_UP, MPS_UP, MPS_MP, ACPIPIC_UP, ACPIAPIC_UP, ACPIAPIC_MP

As one of my post-imaging configuration steps, I have a batch file based Mike Laverick's http://www.rtfm-ed.co.uk/downloads/HAL_Update.txt and DEVCON.EXE from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272/ that changes the HAL to ACPI Uni or ACPI Multi.  This is the first post-imaging manual step, where I must know whether the machine can handle the HAL change before I try it, because if it is incompatible Windows will not boot afterwards.  I generally only use the batch file to enable ACPI Multi, and I know to use it whenever I'm on a machine with dual CPUs, dual core CPUs, or HyperThread-enabled CPUs.

I have not explored whether it is possible to move between mass storage types (IDE to SCSI or vice versa), but if it is possible, it will probably involve editing the boot.ini file after deploying an image but before it first boots up.  I've read of this kind of editing being done using a BartPE Windows XP bootable live CD where the goal was to change the HAL type.

I think you just reinforced my point...

if you must modify the image in order / before to use it
then you can't have one image for all of them can you...

sysprep is an option too... but then its not JUST a ghost image anymore is it?
its a unified installation.

and it will take a LOT more time to do as you suggest than to make two or three images that will be much cleaner in the end.

OverFlow wrote:

I think you just reinforced my point...

if you must modify the image in order / before to use it
then you can't have one image for all of them can you...

sysprep is an option too... but then its not a JUST a ghost image anymore is it?
its a unified installation.

and it will take a LOT more time to do as you suggest than to make two or three images that will be much cleaner in the end.

Perhaps you didn't understand what I was trying to explain?  Once you've made a master image (or converted an existing image) to use the ACPI PC HAL type, that HAL type remains in place.  I have a single image that has worked on machines Pentium 3's to Core 2 Duos, both laptops and desktops.  My master Ghost image does use Sysprep, with the last command being 'sysprep -reseal -mini -forceshutdown'.  When I want to update the image, I load it on compatible hardware, make the changes, set the pagefile to zero, delete pagefile.sys, and then re-Sysprep the machine.  I create the Ghost image using a DOS version of Ghost.  For standalone deployment, I create a bootable DVD containing DOS Ghost, and the Ghost image.  (Sysprep doesn't actually create the image, it just prepares the machine for imaging.  I'm using DOS Ghost to take an image of the machine after Sysprep has done its work.  I think that Ghost4Linux might also work for this purpose.)

The two main keys for a universal image are to use the ACPI PC HAL type, and to have the proper entries in the MassStorage section of sysprep.inf.

Yeah ... i don't understand... can you hold my hand please.
i guess i should find something i am good at to do...

Perhaps you should read other posts in the forum before you insult the admins intellegence on your second post.

http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 243#p18243

RIS is cleaner easier quicker (to set up) more universal and more appropriate to what he asked for
and doesnt require any post imaging manual edits or steps and requires far less time to get to work properly.
and you said you use a bootable cd, which he clearly indicated was what he DID NOT WANT ==> "be not a bootable CD !!!"

Furthurmore you ignored the title of the thread he is not depolying XP so

your info is less than no help at all. It's misleading.
It isn't even on the correct topic...  (how many laptops and pentium threes have you loaded with 2003 server?)

I don't think i am the one who is confused - or the one who doesn't understand... I am at least on the correct topic.

OverFlow, I was not and am not trying to insult your intelligence.  I was trying to ask an honest question whether I was unclear.  I realize what I posted was for Windows XP, but a lot of XP techniques work on 2003 and vice versa.  My process involves using Sysprep and Ghost 7.5 for DOS to create a Sysprep-ed Windows XP image that works across many hardware types and is self-contained on a bootable DVD.

My interpretation of the original poster's message (self-proclaimed as 'My English is comparatively bad') is s/he is trying to transfer an already installed copy of Windows 2003 from one machine to another via a Ghost image.  This is basically the same thing that I do in my process, except that I do it with XP not 2003.  I read the 'Be an ghost image , be not a bootable CD' to mean s/he doesn't want to create a slipstreamed clean-slate installation CD.

My process is not a clean-slate install method.  Your linked to method of unattended XP install plus apps via Windows Post-Install Wizard (WPI) is a clean-slate install method.  My process will work for someone who has an existing image they want to transfer to new hardware without recreating the image or re-implementing it under the clean-slate unattended XP+WPI process.  My process will also work for applications that need to be heavily, manually customized during or after installation, rather than using the default silent install options for the application.  Some of the apps I install in my image are, as far as I know, only tweakable after being installed, and I don't know how to automatically change those settings if I were to use the unattended XP+WPI process.  (Maybe AutoHotKey could help me out here, but I have not tried that possibility.)  My process will also work for programs that require a serial/registration key to be entered during the install, rather than being scripted, to be installed.  (Granted, this is only useful for apps that you have a site-license for, but that require a key upon install anyway.)

If one were to ask Microsoft the correct way to do this, they'd probably also point to an unattended clean-slate install.  However, that's not the only way to make it work, and in situations where you want to migrate an existing installation from physical-to-physical hardware or between physical and virtual hardware, my process for XP may have a chance for working with 2003.

Note: here's another description similar to the process I describe, http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/trench/11664.html .  I think that was one of the original documents I saw on making this technique work.

Again, OverFlow, I'm not trying to aggravate you.  I simply think we are interpreting the OP's message differently, and are both presenting reasonable solutions.  The solution you pointed out is probably the better route if one were to start from scratch, but that's not my starting point right now.

I wrote up a summary of the method I use to build an cross-hardware compatible image and put it on the 'FOG' (Free Open Ghost) website wiki  - http://freeghost.no-ip.org/wiki/index.p … deployment.

It's not particularly detailed and there is a lot that goes on in each part.  I have used this to make an image deployed to 150 kiosks on 4 very different types of motherboards.  I also use this method to build maintainable images that I customize and deploy to my small business office clients desktops and laptops and sometimes servers.     

A BIG thanks to the DP team that makes doing it effectively possible.  Those thanks should also include the nLite team, RyanVM (for his update packs), and VMware for their free 'Server' product and excellent Workstation product.

Regards,
-felipe

the standard IDE trick is a nice touch...
(I assume that you slipstreamed mass storage to your original source)
you can skip the SID step if you use ghost (it handles this internaly)

I think everybody should see the forum of China in this respect?This judges automatically jobs of the computer type have already got perfect settlement on a lot of forums?It is that integrated massstorage urges only without the one that is solved perfectly now. What I said is that integrated massstorage urge inside ghost, do not install to urge inside integrated massstorage of CD.

Massstorage of windows2003 that I need one to be intact drives the bag, are all that windows2003 drive. Do not include any windows xp, 2k

Recommendation forum ?
bbs.deepin.org
bbs.wuyou.com
bbs.mscode.cc
bbs.ylmf.com

I want to tell driverpack the development team, some massstorage actuation if xp, 2k, the 2k3 system brings, suggested do not have to use other drivers. Moreover is some not commonly used, compared with ancient array card actuation suggestion deletion. Because some extremely old arrays card now nearly nobody used. The integration driver only is wastes the resources.

you are able to edit the mass storage pack.

you can delete whatever folders you want
as long as you also delete the reference to the folder in the mass storage INI that is in the pack as well

i think this is what your asking... I am not certain...

I would like to know, is it drives all of the packages are applicable to drive 2k3, those marked only support xp or 2k otherwise. I carefully read a lot of folders, and discovered that they are driven some xp drive, the configuration files but you have not said that excluding 2k3 ah?

There is also a problem in the configuration file is the letter p beginning of the driver and folder included in the letter p is not the beginning of the corresponding folder? Do not know whether the development team found?

Really very sorry, and I have the time difference, it can directly exchange. That might be useful to some, whenever I always had to return the next day after you can see the back.

If you just understand the Chinese?

but thanks a lot?

most of the drivers support 2000, XP and 2k3. if you look in the mass storage pack there is a .INI file.

in that file anything that is marked as SKIP = 2k3  does not support 2k3, and all the rest do.