Topic: [REQ] Bad 7z damaged archive error detection [not feasable]

I had some 7z files get corrupted. BASE unpacked the corrupted parts as 0 length files, CAB'd them up, and wrote them to the disk image without any  error message. I had to work backwards from disks that don't boot, 71 and 72 byte CAB files on the disk and in the QSC, and into the 7z files to find out what was wrong. Firefox was able to pull good second copies out of it's cache so my computer corrupted the files during the copy. Should you ever post a damaged file, a lot of bad disks will be created without any warning.

Bad archive detection needs to be added as soon as possible. You might see a nice drop in the complaint level.

Re: [REQ] Bad 7z damaged archive error detection [not feasable]

Do you have a suggestion as to how that might be accompished?

the packs are always changing and can be modified by the end user. if i were to write a rotine to check them against the server it would / might prevent end users from modifying packs.

I belive it is the users responsibility to verify thier downloads. that is why we put thier sizes on the website.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

7Zip does have the option to check an archive for consistency.
This probably involves the CRC32 checksums you will find listed for each file when you open the archive.
Of course, it would be nice having BASE doing this automatically, however, as long as that feature is not available, user input is required, but it only involves a very few mouse-clicks (mark all files, right-click and select verify archives).

severach wrote:

Bad archive detection needs to be added as soon as possible. You might see a nice drop in the complaint level.

So far, I cannot see that high complain level it could drop much from.
Besides, as I said, it can be done manually and is of course advised to be done so.

OTOH, corrupted DLs are very few and far between, for me at least.
Most of the time, they are an indication of failing user's HW (RAM, HDD) as modern broad-band connections aren't anywhere near as prone to corrupt data as analogue dial-in was.

OverFlow wrote:

Do you have a suggestion as to how that might be accompished?

Right now you do no error checking. You call the unpacker and take whatever it provides. You should check to see if the unpack resulted in an error and halt if so.

the packs are always changing and can be modified by the end user. if i were to write a rotine to check them against the server it would / might prevent end users from modifying packs.

We don't need that kind of checking. Just check each file you unpack for an unpack error. 7zip tells you when there is an unpack error. BASE just doesn't check for it.

I belive it is the users responsibility to verify thier downloads. that is why we put thier sizes on the website.

The computer corrupted them without changing their sizes. There are too many things in the world for users to check them all. BASE needs to do the checking.

Helmi wrote:

7Zip does have the option to check an archive for consistency.

Yes, that's how I found the problem.

Of course, it would be nice having BASE doing this automatically

Try "imperative". Only a few minutes of coding cuts into the problems.

It only involves a very few mouse-clicks (mark all files, right-click and select verify archives).

It involves a lot of mouse clicks since most people do not install 7zip.

OTOH, corrupted DLs are very few and far between

That's why it's so important that BASE check for damaged files when unpacking. I'm not going to check every archive for errors when 99.99% of them come through perfectly. BASE can check them every time without wasting the users time.

If you'd rather I can post what I was going to write originally and let you figure out what the problem is.

"Driverpacks mass storage is broken again. I get a VIBUS.SYS corrupted on boot."

the down side to this is M1 is all but dead.

Only M1 extracts and cab compresses all the packs (M2 only extracts mass storage)

that means that only one of the packs would actually be checked for 99% of our users.

Base was never intended to be used by rookies, and per Bâshrat the Sneaky himself we do not cater to noobs.

It is a prerequisite that our users are capable of advanced troubleshooting.

since you are suggesting a simple "errorlevel" check after 7zip is called you have assumed that this  would be easy to add. Of course you have no clue what the code for base looks like... not all assumptions are good ones wink
You know what they say about assuming!

I will think about adding this as I am updating the code. however since 9 out of the 10 packs are not extracted until setup runs (after the disk is created and we're halfway through the install) it presents issues both in time to complete for the program and logically within the base code.

I personally don't rerun base when I update packs
I simply rename and replace them in the OEM folder
(I am sure I am not the only one who does this)
How do we check those from base???

I will once again state that the ball is in your court to verify your downloads and your final disk.
It is our responsibility to make sure we check the ones we put up to make sure we put up good copies.

----------

severach wrote:

That's why it's so important that BASE check for damaged files when unpacking. I'm not going to check every archive for errors when 99.99% of them come through perfectly. BASE can check them every time without wasting the users time.

see note above about only mass getting extracted by the base program...
and the note about your lack of coding experience with base. (and lack of experience in its use too)
by your own admission you want me to fix a problem that only occurs once per every ten thousand uses...
So it is not a very big or important problem then is it?
OTOH if i added the code it would take base that much longer to run every time. (and waste everyones time)
so applying what we know.
you want me to double the time it take base to run...
To address a problem that Might (or might not) show up once in every ten thousand runs.

severach wrote:

If you'd rather I can post what I was going to write originally and let you figure out what the problem is.

"Driverpacks mass storage is broken again. I get a VIBUS.SYS corrupted on boot."

How many years ago was it the last time base was broke? it's been so long i have forgotten.
We don't have to help you at all - We are not on your payroll - We don't owe you anything.

We don't get paid for this sh*t. I donate my time for free (Lots of it).
you want something for nothing and are not even willing to ask nicely.
(I don't see you on the Donors list)
I will gladly submit the current source code to you for you to edit, test, debug and resubmit for approval on your personal time... GOOD LUCK !
it is only about 200 modules and 50,000 interdependent lines of code

a few minutes to add???
try hours to add, and a few days to test myself, and weeks more for the testing team...
Now your just being outright disrespectful. (I ruled out your being an idiot because you figured it out)

you can take a hike buddy.
Check the attitude at the door - or leave. mad

Administrator and co-author
Jeff

PS where did you pull that "since most people do not install 7zip" statistic from?     
Everyone here installs it and it is included in the base folder.
all you need do is run a command from the \bin folder in base if it's too much to ask that you install it...  -->

7z t ..\DriverPacks\*.7z

now that only takes a minute... But i get the impression you think your time is more valuable than ours. (how rude)
and it won't slow down every slipstream, on the off chance (1 in 9,999) there is a corrupt file.
perhaps we should write a routine to check for bad media on the burned CD / DVD too...
and why stop there let's do an ID-10T check too... (looks like we found one!)

I can't remember ever getting a complaint...
I may not be up to date with "new math", perhaps you can help me.
I doubt we can reduce complaints below it's current level -
none is the current total. Any sugestions how we might be able to cut that down?

What I do remember is manners.
Requests are made with the words "Please" and "Thanks", both are missing from your posts.
learn some manners, then use them, or your stay here will be VERY short.
I only give one warning, so tread lightly.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.