Topic: all drivers on drive... not by KTD

If DPbase extracts all the 7z files to the hard drive, is there not a way to leave them there?
Why go through all that extracting, just to install all DP through KTD when you can just leave them on there?

TIA
JHS

Re: all drivers on drive... not by KTD

jhsands wrote:

If DPbase extracts all the 7z files to the hard drive, is there not a way to leave them there?

Yes. The way to just leave them there after we are done is called KTD (Keep The Driver)

jhsands wrote:

Why go through all that extracting, just to install all DP through KTD when you can just leave them on there?

TIA
JHS

DriverPacks does not install drivers through KTD...

In fact KTD is not recomended by me personaly. it is only good for what i call a Test Bed computer. like a technicians machine on his work bench to use for testing customers cards. (quickly identifying if an issue is hardware or software releated.)

In any other environment;
if you are adding hardware you are physically going to be at the machine and have it open anyway. might as well take the latest greatest driver? 

I assume if it is new it won't need hardware added soon. why burn 1.5gig of HDD space on out dated drivers?

Turn KTD off unless you plan on rotating hardware on the machine regularly (like a test machine)
if you are running KTD on a test machine it is likely that you will be reloading it often, and would then be a good DriverPacks tester and have the latest packs all the time.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

In South Arkansas we have a problem with "I got this from my XXX". Where is the disk that came with it? HUH? What disk?
So I like to keep the LAN and modem packs on the drive. As long as those two are working, I can get any others I may need.

if drivers are installed during setup then they are cached locally on the machine, without KTD.

(windows\system32\drivers\) and (Windows\inf)
and most notably (WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups)

you may use KTD to keep only the packs you wish, however i don't think you need it if you are aware of
      WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Right now I use KTD in my installs into VMware for imaging and restoration most PCs.  Note I am not using sysprep only the 'Standard IDE' driver trick to facilitate booting on most PCs
.  The problem is the 1.2GB of drivers stays on the new destination PC.  How can I facilitate a KTD removal from the newly imaged PC after driver detection is over?

Thanks,
-felipe

delete the folder

the default location is windows\driverpacks or more specifically %SystemRoot%\DriverPacks

don't you have HAL issues when you use this technique?