Topic: BartPE and UBCD4win Q & A

We recently released DriverPacks Base 7.04 with our initial BartPE plugin. Supporting DP MassStorage Text Mode, only... so far.

I thought it Might be nice to have a place to talk about It.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Re: BartPE and UBCD4win Q & A

Jeff, it could be disheartening, but yes, the silence was deafening.

I am in favour for a subforum, tho.
this function is a real godsend and a LOT of work was put into it.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

No news...   Might be...   Good News...

in this case!!!!

Last edited by OverFlow (2007-04-17 17:41:34)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

jtdoom wrote:

Jeff, it could be disheartening, but yes, the silence was deafening.

I am in favour for a subforum, tho.
this function is a real godsend and a LOT of work was put into it.

You REALLY have no idea. lol

When I posted the initial bartpe version (including the plugin) we linked to the file directly at ubcd4win.com so we could monitor the number of people who have downloaded the file.

The post was made on the 5th and the file has recieved 768 hits since then, BUT with the server crash at our forum, we lost 5 days worth of data, so the 768 is not a reliable number, it is more of a minimun number. So it's really more like 768 downloads in 8 days, which I would say is a fair number and does represent a unique new user-base for driverpacks.net also.

Take that into account, and then release that NO ONE has posted that it was broken or did not work (unless they needed a driver not included in the pack) then I would say that while the silence was certainly deafening, it's also a very good sign that our approach to driver support for pebuilder has worked very well to date.

It certainly would be nice to hear more responce from the users who have tried it, but you will seldome have a new user, actually join any formu, just to say that something has worked. Where as if it had been a bad release, I'm almost certain that all 768 people would have stepped up and told us to FIX IT.

BTW: A sub-forum here for pebuilder support would be a good idea concidering that there are already postings in other areas fo it and I'm sure more will follow. Keeping them together would be a bennefit to everyone.

I agree with hilander999. Silence equals (virtual) flawlessness in this case. Otherwise this forum (or at least UBCD4WIN's) would have been flooded with support requests/bug reports.

@hilander999: if you don't mind, I won't create that forum at the current site, but only at the new site, which is quite close to be finished. If you disagree, no problem, I'll create a new forum right away.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Bâshrat the Sneaky wrote:

I agree with hilander999. Silence equals (virtual) flawlessness in this case. Otherwise this forum (or at least UBCD4WIN's) would have been flooded with support requests/bug reports.

@hilander999: if you don't mind, I won't create that forum at the current site, but only at the new site, which is quite close to be finished. If you disagree, no problem, I'll create a new forum right away.

Here is another point we do agree on.

If the release was causing problems, all three forums would have been flooded with complaints by now, so concidering that there has been nothing but good feedback, I would say that simply adding the new section to the up-comming forum is perfect.

With more additions, more questions. The release (as I posted it) is NEARLY IDIOT PROOF, at least to the best of my knowlage it was setup to be used by anyone, even when basic computer skills are absent.

Last edited by hilander999 (2007-04-19 09:30:54)

I will be testing out this plugin sometime this week and will post results. In particular, I will be testing MassStorage support for the Intel drivers (Ich5 through Ich8R including AHCI) and the NVRAID (from the Nforce4 series and the new v2 from the 650/680i series).

I am a big user of WinPE and would love text-mode support in that, but if this works successfully, I 'may' make the switch...(its just that I have an OPK which works quite nicely and uses WinPE AND now with Vista, it uses WinPE 2.0...)

Will post back soon...

Last edited by jumz (2007-05-10 07:50:21)

Hi everyone, I've got a Compaq ML370 with a Smart Array 431 controller. I am running Bart's PE with Pebuilder 3.1.10a, Windows XP slipstreamed to SP2.

With the kind help of others, I've successfully slipstreamed the text mode mass storage drivers from driverpack.net into Bart's PE. But even after this, I still can't get it to work with the SmartArray 431 controller. The white progress bar gets to the end and it changes from "Starting Bart PE..." to "Please Wait...." and sits there....

Before the driverpack.net drivers, I tried using the drivers from Robdvb, with the same results....

I'm a technical person, and I tell ya, this is driving me crazy! Especially after having a default build of Bart's PE work with a Proliant 1600 with a SmartArray 221 controller work with no problems..... ARgh!!!!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

when Mass storage 7.08 gets released, it will have that driver.
(it is in testing, and you got a link in the other topic)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Jaak, I'm a bit confused.... I downloaded the driver from the following link in your other post. It says the driver was added to this test pack. Should I wait until you're done testing and make an official release????

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://dev.driverpacks.thesneaky.com/dr … 32_7085.7z

926451a101b6747c28a3e1b50193eb7f DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_7085.7z

added Compaq Smart Array 4200/4250ES/431/LC2 Controller at [C-3]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The purpose of showing TEST versions to individuals whom are not in testing team is that they TEST the specific driver they have requested, since a good many other people may not have have the specific hardware.

Last edited by Jaak (2007-08-12 21:40:00)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

teehee
HP/compaq driver search is always a bit of h*ll, but I just found the 2003 driver..

edit, which is the 2000 I already had.. sad

Last edited by Jaak (2007-08-13 00:56:20)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

That's wierd... So the 2000 and 2003 drivers are the same? I sent you a link in my other post to the 2003 driver... The CPXXXX.exe files actually have different numbers for 2000 and 2003 when you download them so I figured they would be somewhat different. 2000 CP005751.exe and 2003 is CP005760.exe.

the 2003 has different xml files, and in the XML files I read that it adds txtsetup.oem for XP.

the SYS file and INF file is same, tho.
Since we do not use the installer, we do not need the XML, but I will put this txtsetup.oem file in our next test version.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Jaak! You da man.

ernesta I emailed you the older mass storage you requested.
Personaly I recomend you try jaaks test packs so we can solve this issue for others as well.

As jack pointed out the driverpacks team only has a limited amount of hardware to test on (our personal machines)
it is only with the feedback of users like yourself we can truely test our packs and make sure they work as they should for all of the currently supported hardware (packs).

Last edited by OverFlow (2007-08-13 10:04:01)

you know, I started to wonder about whether thic compaq PCI card has a bootrom.

edit... (I saw several ROM flash files mentioned for it, but still wonder.)
That is what people using this hardware can tell us.
I'll try to not make guinea pigs out of you, but TESTS have to be done by people who have the kit.

Jmicron, Highpoint, and the other files have to be tested as well.
Helmi could test the DELL PERC/CERC to a degree.. (XP did not like it at first, but I had goofed on that one.. Did not yet get report on the corrected DELL version.)

Last edited by Jaak (2007-08-13 12:24:34)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Overflow, I didn't receive a personal email from you.. That's OK, I'd rather use the test packs and help solve it for everyone as you stated....

Jaak, I believe the Smart Array 431 does have a boot rom because once the computer and network card BIOSs finish initializing, the 431's BIOS initializes and searches for array drives. If that's what you mean by a BOOT ROM. I downloaded the latest firmware for the 431, but when I ran it the disk said the firmware was no newer than the version already installed (V 1.22). The Compaq Softpaq I downloaded for the 431 was SP19677.exe

I'd be more than happy to be a guinea pig... If you need anything tested or need info about the hardware, just ask me... I'm more than happy to help you guys out....

Last edited by ernesta (2007-08-14 16:43:35)

Ok. I wasn't sure, a card BIOS is a ROM, but I did not find descriptions which mentioned BootROM.

All in all, if it works for servers, it is better than not having it, if it works for 2000/2003 AND XP, then everybody is happy.
smile

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

I recently stumbled upon your site and it has instrumental in my UBCD build. I'm using the latest Base version, and it seems from reading the this forum, that the text mode drivers are the only drivers supported by Bartpe/UBCD. Please correct me if I am wrong. I have tried to download some of the other packs and use them with UBCD/BartPE but all of the options are greyed out. Thanks in advance...

Jake

I meant the mass storage drivers by Text mode...

you read correctly... only mass storage. thus far...

XP sp3 was released and the TEAM need feedback on the PE tool more than ever.
Every issue caused by DriverPack MassStorage for ubcd4win has to get a fix.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

i think if it were causing an issue, someone , would say somthing...

i suspected it would have the same driver issue we see posted...
the included update drivers.

but since we have not heard i sassume it is because of the way we list the hwids in the mass INI

that list is the key to makeing them all play nice together wink

ps remember PE doesn't load the PnP drivers
they are often the cause of reported issues.
IE after the winpe reboot and 7b bsod - (which never occurs in BartPE)

something like the HFslip report in bugtracker is something I can not test, because I am like a mom and pop store test person, with a few live machines at best.. No network stuff, no sysprep.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

@all

Is it right that I can use ONLY the Mass Storage-drivers for my BartPE?

I included all DriverPacks (official and 3rd Party) in my BartPE and it boots up without any problems - right now I only tested it in VirtualBox.
Maybe I will make a testdrive on my Toshiba X200 today!

Best regards

cool400