Topic: Removing DriverPacks - Method 2

Okay, so I've been slipstreaming all of the driverpacks with success for a few months now - and it's been fantastic! big_smile

Anyway, I've just been expanding my windows install disks to DVDs because I've had the means.  Now I've got a computer with only a CD bay.  I could recreate the disk from scratch, but since I have included a bunch of windows updates and what not - I'd rather just take what I've already made and remove DriverPacks.  I did a search with little success.

So my question is this.  How does method 2 alter the installation disk?  I've already gone into WINNT.sif and removed the finisher.  I deleted the OEM folder from the disk.  Now the only thing I can think of that's left to do is remove the fake setup and restore the real one (though I'm not quite sure if that's all that's left).

~TigerC10~

Re: Removing DriverPacks - Method 2

There are several hundred lines (maybe a thousand) to remove from txtsetup.sif too
and other files -  you should be able to find the backed up originals. (sort by date hint hint)

i can fit my xp install with RVM nLite and driver packs on a CD - you should be able to as well.

It's MUCH easier to to start over than to back out all the changes.

(you could just hang a dvd on the system?)

Extra hint i make a new folder at each stage of the process.

i have my clean source folder. (OEM XP)
i have a SP2 Source folder (OEM XP + SP2)
I have a folder for after RVM (XPSP2 + RVM)
This is the main folder i copy to use for a source for nlite and driverpacks (yes i copy the whole thing)
the XPsp2-rvm-nLite folder is now copied to a new folder for the driverpacks slipstream.

This uses quite a bit of disk space but you can see how it would have saved your butt here.

Last edited by OverFlow (2007-09-01 06:10:37)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Well, I could hang a DVD on the system - but I don't have any spares.

I slipstreamed all of the DriverPacks as well as the 3rd parties.  They don't fit on a CD.  I could remove the 3rd parties - how could I just take out the 3rd parties.

~TigerC10~

rerun driverpacks it will see the old driverpacks install remove it and reintegrate.

however i would pull my xp-sp2-rvm-nlite folder make a copy and run clean driverpacks install.

Last edited by OverFlow (2007-09-01 06:13:55)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Actually I did have multiple folders set up at different steps... ^_^;;

However the hard drive went out...  X.X

I don't use RVM - so it isn't easier for me to start from scratch.

I can remove some DriverPacks with the DriverPacks base - but I really want to know how to undo the whole thing.

~TigerC10~

I'm not sure of everything that gets changed - its very complicated - I have only learned the certain aspects of it i needed to code the BartPE stuff.

helmi, Bâshrat the Sneaky, or one of the more veteran members may jump in here with a list and instructions.

I think it is easier to start over and if you are really curious use some software to compare the before and after folders of your driverpacks install all the files that are changed after the slipstream from the original are the ones you need to restore.

the best hint i can give you is i know the original files are backed up by the base. so if you sort the folder by date the most recently changed come to the top. like winnt.sif get renamed to WINNT.ORG
pretty much all the files changed are copied and the originals are renamed to .ORG

Again i really think its easier to start over (maybe if you used RyanVM integrator you would too. tongue

Last edited by OverFlow (2007-09-01 18:57:30)

haha, maybe.

~TigerC10~

If you want to get rid of specific DriverPacks (for instance 3rd party DriverPack), just rerun BASE as OverFlow has said and deselect them, then re-slipstream.
This procedure also works for updating a source with the latest DriverPacks.
As slipstreaming the DriverPacks is supposed to be the final step before ISO creation, this shouldn't break anything (I have done it myself several times always with success).

I would not suggest manually removing specific components until you really know what you are doing.
It is also more time-consuming than re-slipstreaming so you gain nothing by it.

If you really need to fit it on CD (I was using that myself until half a year ago or so), there's a couple of steps that can help you:

Firstly, I recommend using nLite to slim down the source.
There's a lot of stuff you never need (really!) and some more you can easily do without.
MSN Explorer, WMP (if you use another player), all the languages and KB layouts, the intro movie, the search dog and whatnot.
If you want to, I can post my ls.INI so you can use that as a template for your own.

Secondly, if you only use the official DriverPacks (or rather not the Printer 3rd party DriverPack), that should not use too much space.

Thirdly, if you use Nero to burn the ISO, there's an option to enable short leadout, that saces about 12 MB of space, definately vital for a CD edition.

Fourthly, if really needed, there's 800 MB CD-Rs and even 900 MB (though the latter might be incompatible with some drives).
Unfortunately, those are not available as RWs from what I know (if you spot these, please tell me! wink) so you will need to do extensive testing in either a VM or use a DVD±RW and a system with a proper drive for testing, then brun the final version on the CD-R.

What if I just removed the zipped packs?

~TigerC10~

from the top of my head

dosnet.inf was changed
txtsetup.sif was changed
presetup.cmd was changed.

and you already know "minisetup" was backed up.
( I just started wondering about txtmode... would it work with the original minisetup? )

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

TigerC10 wrote:

What if I just removed the zipped packs?

Can you say "BOOM!"

To quote one of the most beloved characters in all of cartoon history:
"YAY I'M DOOMED!"

~TigerC10~

i have discovered that you can remove or even add a pack without any ill effect

Provided you are useing the latest base and packs (the ones with the INF's included)

on older versions (below 7.x) of the base and packs this will blow you up. because the inf info for the finisher is in the pack. delete the pack delete the finisher info related to the pack as well. so it works.

with the older base and packs the info was not in the packs and would have DOOMed you (yay!)

thanks for the idea TigerC10