Re: [REQ] hwid fix

Hi OverFlow,

No it is being installed from one directory back \D\S\SM\A\3\ and that one also has no control panel in it what do I need to add to add the control panel? Also if you look at the SM directory which if for all the SoundMAX drivers you will see none of them have the control panel being installed.

Thanks,
dolivas

Last edited by dolivas (2007-11-08 14:20:51)

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/5NQ1BpqvDa_0vDwtHeoZCcSJjOVNuvMXSp4i7SE7DQA/perpetual:forever/userbar/moderator-1.png

add your control panel file and create an entry in the INI - you can use the existing entries as a guide

add YourControlPanelFileName.cpl to D\S\SM\A\3\

something like the code below needs added to the sound INI file

[SM-A-3]
; REQUIRED
exc_count        = 1
; OPTIONAL
exc_1_tagFiles    = 1
exc_1_tagFile1    = "%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\smwdm.sys"
exc_1_+hwids    = 0
exc_1_-hwids    = 0
exc_1_+infFiles    = 1
exc_1_+infFile1    = "%DPSROOT%\D\S\SM\A\3\*.inf"
exc_1_-infFiles    = 0
exc_1_commands    = 1
exc_1_command1    = "cmd.exe /c copy /y %DPSROOT%\D\S\S\U\YourControlPanelFileName.cpl %SystemRoot%\system32"

Last edited by OverFlow (2007-11-08 15:06:04)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

OverFlow, SoundMax Control Panel is difficult to install by ini file. It hasn't cpl file. It installs by InstallShield, and to create .iss file (to make silent install), panel installer must to setup at motherboard with that soundmax chip, else the panel installer show an error message.

Last edited by Debugger (2007-11-08 21:41:18)

OverFlow how do I know what files need to be copied over for the control panel? I have been trying to figure out what files are needed it looks like these files need to be copied over but I must be missing some because the control panel still will not load?

SMax4.exe
SMax4pnp.exe
SMWDMIF.DLL

Here is a link to the driver from Asus if you get a chance to look at it and can point me in the right direction that would be excellent.
http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/soc … Q1Camr.zip

Thanks,
dolivas

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/5NQ1BpqvDa_0vDwtHeoZCcSJjOVNuvMXSp4i7SE7DQA/perpetual:forever/userbar/moderator-1.png

Debugger wrote:

OverFlow, SoundMax Control Panel is different to install by ini file. It hasn't cpl file. It installs by InstallShield, and to create .iss file (to make silent install), panel installer must to setup at motherboard with that soundmax chip, else the panel installer show an error message.

Ok thanks Debugger maybe this is not worth the trouble the reason I wanted to try and install the control panel with the driver is because when the driver is installed with the DP I get this error when running the DirectX Diagnostic Tool (DirectSound test results: Failure at step 10 (Secondary buffer): HRESULT = 0x80004005 (Generic failure) I decided to remove the drivers that the DP installed and installed the drivers that Asus provides they were the same as what is in the DP I checked the file hashes and they matched. Once the drivers where installed with the setup program which also installs the SoundMAX Control Panel I retested the system again with the dxdiag tool and this time all test pass? Any thoughts on the error? the sound seems to work fine and like I said the correct driver is installed with the DP.

Thanks,
dolivas

To delete the duplicate HWIDS is not a good idea which will caused a series of problem:
1. The duplicate of the HWID of different manufacturer. Suppose the HWID of
a soundmax card is dupicated with the HWID of a realtek driver, then if the HWID in  the soundmax is deleted, the WINDOWNs may install the realtek driver automally, as both of them are of AC97 standard, which mean they are compatible, while not all of them are compatible, which may cause BSOD.
2. The duplicate of the HWID of same manufacturer. I once came across some soundmax card, special version are required to apply.
Windows possess a function that it will choose proper driver to be installed. It will make comparison among different version of drivers and choose the most suitable one. Althougn this function cannot always find the one we need, at least we wont be too worried that the drivers are installed improperly.

Our method to slove this problem?
First we pack drivers from different manufacturer respectively(e.g.realtek.7z soundmax.7z via.7z c-media.7z), then we use a tool based on EVEREST to tell different manufacturer and then extract the proper driver. In this case, the problem caused by the duplicate of HWIDS will be avoided.

Last edited by realhyg (2007-11-13 02:24:36)

dolivas wrote:
Debugger wrote:

OverFlow, SoundMax Control Panel is different to install by ini file. It hasn't cpl file. It installs by InstallShield, and to create .iss file (to make silent install), panel installer must to setup at motherboard with that soundmax chip, else the panel installer show an error message.

Ok thanks Debugger maybe this is not worth the trouble the reason I wanted to try and install the control panel with the driver is because when the driver is installed with the DP I get this error when running the DirectX Diagnostic Tool (DirectSound test results: Failure at step 10 (Secondary buffer): HRESULT = 0x80004005 (Generic failure) I decided to remove the drivers that the DP installed and installed the drivers that Asus provides they were the same as what is in the DP I checked the file hashes and they matched. Once the drivers where installed with the setup program which also installs the SoundMAX Control Panel I retested the system again with the dxdiag tool and this time all test pass? Any thoughts on the error? the sound seems to work fine and like I said the correct driver is installed with the DP.

Thanks,
dolivas

debugger has given you the answer
create the .iss file on a machine with this sound card (you have to do it for us).
you can look up how to create a .iss file by google. http://helpnet.installshield.com/robo/p … seFile.htm
then we launch the setup from the ini entries (like i showed above) useing the .iss file you provide to automate the soundcards setup program when we run the finisher.
no problem.

[SM-A-3]
; REQUIRED
exc_count        = 1
; OPTIONAL
exc_1_tagFiles    = 1
exc_1_tagFile1    = "%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\smwdm.sys"
exc_1_+hwids    = 0
exc_1_-hwids    = 0
exc_1_+infFiles    = 1
exc_1_+infFile1    = "%DPSROOT%\D\S\SM\A\3\*.inf"
exc_1_-infFiles    = 0
exc_1_commands    = 1
exc_1_command1    = "%DPSROOT%\D\S\S\U\Setup.exe" /s /f1"%DPSROOT%\D\S\S\U\Setup.iss"

Last edited by OverFlow (2007-11-12 21:22:54)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

OverFlow wrote:
dolivas wrote:
Debugger wrote:

Thanks,
dolivas

debugger has given you the answer create the .iss file on a machine with this sound card (you have to do it for us).
you can look up how to create a .iss file by google. then we launch the setup from the ini entries (like i showed above) useing the .iss file you provide to automate the soundcards setup program when we run the finisher.
no problem.

I will work on this and see what I can come up with for everyone I will report back in a few days on my progress. So much to learn and so little time......

Thanks,
dolivas

we cross posted reread my last please

OverFlow wrote:

we cross posted reread my last please

Ok OverFlow I created the .iss file and did a test install from the command prompt using this command setup.exe /s and it did a silent install of the drivers and control panel I wanted. Now I have some questions on how to add this to the driver pack I added the ini section like you posted but where do I put the files from the original installer? do they go in the S/SM/A/3 directory and replace what is already there because the drivers are already included in the original setup? There is also all kind of language files and sample files like wav and midi files can those just be deleted? I guess what I don't understand about this method are we just letting the original installer install the drivers and control panel silently during windows install? I looked at the creative section in Sound A because I think that is the same thing I am trying to accomplish here as you can see I am still kind lost on where to put the files.

Thanks,
dolivas

To delete the duplicate HWIDS is not a good idea which will caused a series of problem:
1. The duplicate of the HWID of different manufacturer. Suppose the HWID of
a soundmax card is dupicated with the HWID of a realtek driver, then if the HWID in  the soundmax is deleted, the WINDOWNs may install the realtek driver automally, as both of them are of AC97 standard, which mean they are compatible, while not all of them are compatible, which may cause BSOD.
2. The duplicate of the HWID of same manufacturer. I once came across some soundmax card, special version are required to apply.
Windows possess a function that it will choose proper driver to be installed. It will make comparison among different version of drivers and choose the most suitable one. Althougn this function cannot always find the one we need, at least we wont be too worried that the drivers are installed improperly.

Our method to slove this problem?
First we pack drivers from different manufacturer respectively(e.g.realtek.7z soundmax.7z via.7z c-media.7z), then we use a tool based on EVEREST to tell different manufacturer and then extract the proper driver. In this case, the problem caused by the duplicate of HWIDS will be avoided.

@realhyg - No it will not cause a series of problems because we leave the generic hwid in one of the drivers
if it really is a generic it wont matter and
if its not then the extended HWID will install the correct driver
IE if it really is a generic card any driver that contained the generic HWID will be functional. but we would pick a signed driver to keep the generic HWID. Grooming HWIDS is a tested and proven method. BTW making sweeping statements without any specific details helps no one, start your  own thread [duplicate posts are not neccessary], post hwids of the conflicts, show us logs, give specifics; which pack, which base, (do you even use driverpacks base?) We like feed back and appreceate input - thank you - but your post was vague and nonspecific. Furthermore we are already aware how windows compares, chooses and installs drivers. please see the post earlier in this thread http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 342#p15342

If you are aware of a specific senario where this happens just let us know and we'll be more than happy to fix it.

@dolivas
just add the setup.exe and the setup.iss to S/SM/A/3
additionaly if you use the name setup.iss and setup.iss exists in the same folder as setup.exe the { /f1"%DPSROOT%\D\S\S\U\Setup.iss" } parameter is not technicaly required (but let's specify it anyway)

how it works

the driver is installed by normal driverpacks operation (so don't delete anything)
when the finisher runs it will look for  "%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\smwdm.sys  IF IT EXISTS it will run setup /s

more
If you deleted the driver files then "%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\smwdm.sys would not get installed and therefore not exist 
since smwdm.sys is not a native windows file the setup /s would not run unless driverpacks installed it first.

Last edited by OverFlow (2007-11-13 10:03:45)

@overflow - ok thanks for the info that helps but I still don't see how just adding the setup.exe and the setup.iss is going to install the control panel if I do not include the files on the disk. Please download the drivers here http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/soc … Q1Camr.zip and unzip them and have a look at the folder structure and I think you will understand my question better. There are folders in the zip file like this.

SM_Panel with a sub directory Sys (These are the control panel files I think?)

SM_PNP with a sub directory Sys (This is the PNP driver that I know is needed with out it the control panel will not find the sound card)

There are a few more directory's and there are other files in the root some I know aren't need like the file 269601USA8.exe it is some kind of patch file for 98.

So if you get a chance could you please download the driver file and look at it an let me know what you think.

Thanks,
dolivas

Looking at it now - short answer is - you probably need most or all of them - we'll look at the inf file.
put them all in there for a quick test to see if it even works.

Last edited by OverFlow (2007-11-13 10:11:26)

For example?ECS 845GV-M2  ALC655  with HWID “PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_18881019” will install zhe driver of SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio.
We have done the same job and improve it's not the best way, So we change to use a tool (base on EVEREST) to distinguish the Manufacturer of device and decompression the right driver pack
In this example the tool will decompression the driver pack named realtek.7z, The driver pack soundmax.7z will keep in compressed, So windows will automatically install the right driver of realtek.

@overflow are you sure this line is correct? should the quote be there after the Setup.exe" I have tried two loads now and both have failed with a DPFinsher error. Here is that last bit of information I am seeing in the DPFinsher log before it fails. Let me know what you think and I will try another load.

exc_1_command1    = "%DPSROOT%\D\S\S\U\Setup.exe" /s /f1"%DPSROOT%\D\S\S\U\Setup.iss"

2007-11-12 22:17:17 : <FLTR> 		! Could not match +infFile"C:\D\S\SM\A\3\smwdmCH5.inf" through the HWID "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D4" (original HWID: "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D4&SUBSYS_80A61043&REV_02").
2007-11-12 22:17:17 : <FLTR> 		Matched +infFile"C:\D\S\SM\A\3\smwdmCH5.inf" through the HWID "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D5&SUBSYS_82271043" (original HWID: "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D5&SUBSYS_82271043&REV_02").
2007-11-12 22:17:17 : <FLTR> 	=> All requirements for exception [SM-A-3] have been met!
2007-11-12 22:17:17 : <FLTR> Verifying requirements for exception [S-U] (17 of 20 exceptions).
2007-11-12 22:17:17 : <FLTR> 	1. tagFiles (ALL tagFiles must be found)
2007-11-12 22:17:17 : <FLTR> 		! Could not find tagfile "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\sthda.sys" (1 of 1 tagfiles).
2007-11-12 22:17:17 : <FLTR> 	=> This exception will not be applied.
2007-11-12 22:17:17 : <FLTR> Verifying requirements for exception [SI-1] (18 of 20 exceptions).
2007-11-12 22:17:17 : <FLTR> 		! Could not find tagfile "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\sis7012.sys" (1 of 1 tagfiles).
2007-11-12 22:17:17 : <FLTR> Verifying requirements for exception [SI-2] (19 of 20 exceptions).
2007-11-12 22:17:17 : <FLTR> 		! Could not find tagfile "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\sis7018.sys" (1 of 1 tagfiles).
2007-11-12 22:17:17 : <FLTR> Verifying requirements for exception [T-2] (20 of 20 exceptions).
2007-11-12 22:17:17 : <FLTR> 		! Could not find tagfile "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\FM801.sys" (1 of 1 tagfiles).
2007-11-12 22:17:17 : <FLTR> Finished filtering exceptions.
2007-11-12 22:17:17 : <DBG>  1 exceptions have forfilled the requirements to be executed!
2007-11-12 22:17:17 : <EXEC> Executing all commands (1) for exception [SM-A-3].
2007-11-12 22:17:17 : <EXEC> 	Executing command 1 of 1: "%DPSROOT%\D\S\S\U\Setup.exe" /s /f1"%DPSROOT%\D\S\S\U\Setup.iss"

realhyg wrote:

For example?ECS 845GV-M2  ALC655  with HWID “PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_18881019” will install zhe driver of SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio.
We have done the same job and improve it's not the best way, So we change to use a tool (base on EVEREST) to distinguish the Manufacturer of device and decompression the right driver pack
In this example the tool will decompression the driver pack named realtek.7z, The driver pack soundmax.7z will keep in compressed, So windows will automatically install the right driver of realtek.

integrateing an external program is a long term task... and this is not the proper forum for that.
well look into your suggestion.
lets just fix D for right now.

Thanks again.

Last edited by OverFlow (2007-11-13 16:12:08)

dolivas wrote:

@overflow are you sure this line is correct? should the quote be there after the Setup.exe" I have tried two loads now and both have failed with a DPFinsher error. Here is that last bit of information I am seeing in the DPFinsher log before it fails. Let me know what you think and I will try another load.

hmmm try

exc_1_command1    = ""%DPSROOT%\D\S\S\U\Setup.exe" /s /f1"%DPSROOT%\D\S\S\U\Setup.iss""

or
exc_1_command1    = ""%DPSROOT%\D\S\S\U\Setup.exe" /s /f1%DPSROOT%\D\S\S\U\Setup.iss"

or
exc_1_command1    = ""%DPSROOT%\D\S\S\U\Setup.exe" /s"

edit--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doh!!!!!!!

i posted the wrong path drat..... :-(                     sorry guess i was tired....
see below

""%DPSROOT%\D\S\SM\A\3\Setup.exe" /s /f1"%DPSROOT%\D\S\SM\A\3\Setup.iss""

Last edited by OverFlow (2007-11-14 13:30:11)

So how to fix the problem in my example, and there are lots of similar problem in DP_Sound_B_wnt5_x86-32_71103_nightly.
We can share the soure code with DriverPacks to improve the driver’s compatibility. It is the better way to slove the problem in my mind?

for starters stop hijacking this thread

realhyg, I tried to start Everest instead fake setup, and everest not started. At T-39 all progs as fake setup must be written in API (i hope you are understand what I mean).

realhyg wrote:

So how to fix the problem in my example, and there are lots of similar problem in DP_Sound_B_wnt5_x86-32_71103_nightly.
We can share the soure code with DriverPacks to improve the driver’s compatibility. It is the better way to slove the problem in my mind?

realhyg

The fix for your problem is to add the HWID back in to the Driver Pack B. I did a quick look and it looks like Jaak removed yours from B and added it to A which I don't think he should have done. Once you do a test with the changes I suggest and if it work right please let Jaak know so he can update his work on the nightly. Here is what needs to be changed.

Remove your HWID from Sound Pack A it is located in the inf file here.
D/S/R/1/ALCXAUD.INF

Next add this to your Sound Pack B
%CMI9738.DeviceDesc%=AC97,      PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_18881019

It will be added to the inf file located here.
D/S/C/1/CMICHX.INF

Once you have made the changes repack the driver packs and give it a test and report back also if it fail please provide some log files so people can see where the problems are DPFinsher.log and setupapi.log

Last edited by dolivas (2007-11-14 01:28:31)

@overflow

Excellent news I got it working now the control panel installs and when I do a dxdiag sound test it also passes. I will posted how I was able to get it working a little later today... I need to get some SLEEP.....

I'll be available tonight.. or tomorrow.
Last few days I was extremeley buzy doing hardware fixing and I do shifts too.. and was at work

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

HOW did you fix it?

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.