Topic: nVidia got me stumped - cannot extract the *._ files

OK, I noticed in the "Driverpack - Graphics A" the version of the nVidia drivers for the 8800 card is:

04/20/2007, 6.14.11.5822

But I just grabbed the drivers from nVidia's site and they are a later version:

06/29/2007, 6.14.11.6218

Over 2 months newer.

Filename of those drivers (downloaded from nVidia) is "162.18_forceware_winxp_32bit_english_whql.exe"

OK heres the problem - when I extract these drivers from the main exe, I have a bunch of files ending with an underscore. Normally, I just use 7-Zip to extract these but this time, nothing is working to extract them.

In Bashrats pack - all these (you would think cabbed) files are not with any underscores.

I cannot extract the nVidia cabbed files!

Tried Universal Extractor, 7-Zip, Power Archiver, tried the expand command - what the h*ll is nVidia using to extract these drivers?! I can't understand why I can't extract these. I want to add these newer drivers to my driverpack - not even sure if it would work (I would of course have to remove all the D\G\N\5\ drivers and put the new files in - the (only) INF file has exactly the same name.

The other solution is to extract them with Driver Genius, but that does not give me all the files that are in Bashrats pack, nowhere near as many files, so I guess all Driver Genius is finding is the drivers themselves and not the control panel with the system tray icon?

Fancy putting in a bunch of files you cannot even extract, poor show nVidia, poor show.

Last edited by LeveL (2007-08-13 10:08:35)

Re: nVidia got me stumped - cannot extract the *._ files

Hi Level.

md expanded
expand *.*_ expanded
del /Q *.*_
cd expanded
ren *.dl_ *.dll
ren *.tv_ *.tvp
ren *.sy_ *.sys
ren *.ex_ *.exe
ren *.cf_ *.cfg
ren *.hl_ *.hlp
ren *.cp_ *.cpl
ren *.xm_ *.xml
ren *.bi_ *.bin
move /Y *.* ..
cd ..
rd expanded
del setup.skin
del setup.iss
del setup.inx
del setup.ini
del setup.ibt
del setup.exe
del setup.bmp
del layout.bin
del engine32.cab
del data2.cab
del data1.cab
del data1.hdr

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

They're .cab compressed (all .cab compressed files end with an underscore).

The script Jaak gave you (save text in a .cmd file, then run) will decompress the files and rename them.

BTW, the new drivers are already being tested here:
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=1642

Please test them and give us your feedback.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

LeveL wrote:

The other solution is to extract them with Driver Genius, but that does not give me all the files that are in Bashrats pack, nowhere near as many files, so I guess all Driver Genius is finding is the drivers themselves and not the control panel with the system tray icon?

That's true, programmes such as DG only collect the files referenced in the *.INF and that does excatly not include any control panels.
This is also the reason for the existance of the Finisher, to install these remaining files that otherwise would not get executed.
The driver will still work, regardless, however, you will lose the option to make driver setting changes with the GUI (you could always edit the registry by yourself, if you like doing that wink).

Fancy putting in a bunch of files you cannot even extract, poor show nVidia, poor show.

Same for ATi for that matter, btw (so you don't feel too bad now wink).

The "problem" is that 7-Zip somehow cannot handle specific types of CABs - I have no idea why.
It's the same with the often-found "data1.CAB" files in many installers - it cannot open/extract these, however, using expand on them works.

That said, it would still be easier if the two big companies just packed their driver files like all the other HW makers...

Thanks all, especially Jaak - that script did the trick.

I have an 8800GTS myself, I might be able to test the new Driverpack if I get the time,
I am really busy at the moment though.

We was all in favour for open sourcing, right?

That's how things like this finally see the light.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.