Topic: Install Driver Packs from $OEM$ Network Share

Hi,
Can anybody assist me in getting these driverpacks to install from a $OEM$ folder which is located on a network share, rather than on a CD?

There used to be a forum post somewhere that I followed to get this working, but the bookmark was destroyed in a hard drive crash and I am not able to replicate the results without this guide. I know that presetup.cmd needed to be modified, but when I copy over my known working presetup.cmd and txtsetup.sif to a new project I get all kinds of missing driver errors during startup.

If anybody could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Dan

Re: Install Driver Packs from $OEM$ Network Share

Edit to report I got this working and credit for this technique goes to somebody over at MSFN. I cant remember where I read the original post, but kudos to you if you read this smile

for anybody wanting to install these driverpacks from a network share, do the following:

1) Run a method 2 as you normally would on your operating system source. The folder I perform this slipstream in is called "TEST". which will be referred to as such below. create a NEW $OEM$ folder (also referred to below) with the necessary folder structures and perform the following:

2) Copy the driver packs from the TEST\OEM folder to the new $OEM$\$1

3) Copy the contents of TEST\OEM\BIN to the new $OEM$\$1\D

4) Copy the contents of TEST\$OEM$\$$ to the new $OEM$\$$

5) Copy the contents of TEST\$OEM$\$1\D to the new $OEM$\$1\D (there should now be two executables and two cleanup.cmd files located there)

6) If you selected "runonceex" as your method of install, copy: test\$OEM$\BTS_DPs_ROE.CMD & cmdlines.txt to the root of your new $OEM$ folder. (alongside $1, $$ folders)

7) Copy the I386 folder from the TEST folder to the network location where you store your i386 folders.

This is the important part. Open this i386 folder on this network share and locate the presetup.cmd file. Change the contents to:

7za.exe x -y -aoa %SYSTEMDRIVE%\DriverPack*.7z -o"%SYSTEMDRIVE%"
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\D\SetDevicePath.exe %SYSTEMDRIVE%\D
START %SYSTEMDRIVE%\D\WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe
EXIT

Once you have this done, launch the network installation as you normally would from within BartPE or Windows PE.

Last edited by DanBw (2006-07-08 15:19:52)

DanBw, thanks for your information!

Steps 1-3 are ok .... but on Step 4 i'm missing to folder \$OEM$\$$ that you're refering to. I can't find that on my OS source (after slipstreaming the driverpacks).

Thanks,
cheeko

Hi Cheeko,
If you've done a method 2 driver pack integration on your source, you should have a $OEM$ and within that folder you should have a pair of folders called $1 and $$. The contents of $$ should be two folders called INF and System32.

Let me know if this helps.

Hi Dan,

I did it with method 2 - but I only got a $OEM$ which contains the files cmdlines.txt and DPs_ROE.cmd. No $1 and $$ subfolders ...
What do you think it could be?

cheeko

i have hit exactly the same problem as above using method 2 does not create $1 or $$ can i just create these folders or should there be files located with in these folders ??

Those dirs are no longer necessary, since that is being handled by presetup.cmd now. Though that will of course not work when you're transfering method 2 slipstreamed files into a method 1 installation... The files in the $OEM$\$$\INF dir were the Intel .inf files. The easiest way for you guys to get this back, is to slipstream ONLY DriverPack Chipset using method 1, and then copy the dir to your network installation.

I will add native network installation support in the near future.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Hi all-  Just a small bump for that integrated network installation support. 
I'd be glad to test.  Thanks for all the great work!!

I'm trying to make an integrated WinXP with add-ons and driver packs but can't get it on one CD. I was suggested to use RIS, however that's to complicated for me. The method from this thread looks promissing, except for the modifications needed and the method workaround. So I've been really looking forward to the near future wink

Bâshrat the Sneaky wrote:

I will add native network installation support in the near future.

I can't find it in the newly released 704. When can we expect the native network installation support?

Last edited by Kees030 (2007-04-06 08:46:47)

I have had success with Install from Network as follows, but only with Method 2

install DriverPacks into xp in \\server\winxp using method 2, and using gui run one
expand svcpack.in_ to svcpack.inf (stops mess up with future XP hotfix integrations)
relocate \\server\winxp\oem\*.7z and *.txt to \\server\winxp\i386\$oem$\$1
relocate \\server\winxp\oem\bin to \\server\winxp\i386\$oem$\$1\bin
add gui run once section from winnt.sif to your \\server\winxp\i386\$oem$\$1\unattend.txt (or whereever you keep your unattend file) and delete winnt.sif
delete aticcc.ins (stops desktop ATI litter) and whole \\server\winxp\oem folder (should now be empty)
add the followingline to end of \\server\WinXP\i386\$oem$\$1\bin\DPsFnshr.ini to stop DriverPacks splash screen
              splashscreen = "false"
replace contents of \\server\winxp\i386\presetup.cmd with the following
----------------------
REM +==========================================================================+
REM |                                                                          |
REM |   This presetup.cmd file was dynamically generated by the DriverPacks    |
REM |   BASE, to work with the DriverPacks without any further editing.        |
REM |   However, if you would like to add some custom functionality, you can   |
REM |   edit this file without any problems. Just take into record that this   |
REM |   file will be erased if you run the DriverPacks BASE on these Windows   |
REM |   installation files again!                                              |
REM |                                                                          |
REM |   With special thanks to:                                                |
REM |   -Pyron, a06lp and iLE for their help with this method;                 |
REM |   -schalti for the optional 'Keep the Drivers' system and Pyron (again)  |
REM |    for turning it into an executable.                                    |
REM |   -SuperTibaldoKart for creating un7zip.exe                              |
REM +==========================================================================+

REM |   Decompressing the DriverPacks to the harddisk - using un7zip.exe.      |
REM |--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
%SystemDrive%\bin\un7zip.exe %SystemDrive%\DP*.7z %SystemDrive%\

REM |   Copying/decompressing the files to finish the installation.            |
REM |--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
%SystemDrive%\bin\un7zip.exe %SystemDrive%\bin\*.7z %SystemDrive%\
COPY /Y %SystemDrive%\bin\DPsFnshr.ini %SystemDrive%\
IF EXIST %SystemDrive%\OEM\*.ins COPY /Y %SystemDrive%\OEM\*.ins %SystemDrive%\

REM |   Scanning for driverdirectories.                                        |
%SystemDrive%\bin\DevPath.exe %SystemDrive%\D

REM |   Disable Driver Signing Policy and keep it disabled.                    |
START %SystemDrive%\DSPdsblr.exe

EXIT

What do you know, the answer is yes.  It reports that in the log files.  So please ignore my question.
Thank you for the clear instructions DanBW and Scottb.  Will these instructions also install the 888111 update from Microsoft that gets rid of the message about 'no HDA found' during the install of some sound card drivers?
Thanks,

Last edited by frogger (2007-12-05 03:54:44)

I've been recently playing around with a PXE boot with TFTP and have been looking for this thread for a while, I as well lost my favorites link... Thanks for the info.

did the following, have not tested yet, will do in the future,

however my question is, when a new release (driverpacks comes out)
i assume running a new slipstream will break the above again,

what is the process of updating the above folder (source files)

could i just drag the driverpack file (the updated one's in question) over to the source file and delete the other one (old driverpack file),

or is it a little more complex then that,

because as much as i apreciate the above help, doing these steps everytime could open a window for errors to sneak in,

one last question,

on my windows, i use

RyanVM
NLite
then driverpack slip method 2 gui run once,

now you mentioned "add gui run once section from winnt.sif to your \\server\winxp\i386\$oem$\$1\unattend.txt (or whereever you keep your unattend file) and delete winnt.sif"

problem is i don't have a unattend.txt file, as i created non attend using nlite, and nlite doesn't create this file as i think it adds it directly into winnt.sif, i did a complete search unattend.txt files and none was found at all,

what i did was used setmgr and created a unttend.txt file, and copied the info from winnt.sif over to unateend.txt, then i continued with your instructions....is that right????

tried to right out as clear as possible, but you know how it is, the more detail one thinks they add will help, but in fact actually makes things worst,

Summary:
2 questions were asked,
1 method needs verifying (copying new driver pack manually over will this work) ?

thanks,

if i haven't explained as clear as i should then just say and i will explain as best as i can, and go 1 step at a time instead of putting all this in 1 post.

all packs except mass can be substituted but you must be careful to rename them to thier 8.3 names correctly.

unattend.txt is winnt.sif the content and funtionality are identical.
we simply need to rename it for a network install.
leave it to microsoft to make it harder than it needs to be.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

just for clarification, sorry,

"all packs except mass can be substituted but you must be careful to rename them to thier 8.3 names correctly."

so mass storage can't be touched, fine

but the other, when you say rename, does that mean i have to rename them to the same names that are in the source folder.

i.e.

D:\winxp\I386\$oem$\$1
DPM8021.7z

so if a new version came out say DPM8042.7z

i would have to rename this back to DPM8021.7z
and then put this in the folder, and delete the other one (the old version)

which of course would make sense, as if a script calls for DPM8021.7z, but that name didn't exist, then the file would not be found.

thanks again, your a star.

no...

replace DPM8021.7z
with DPM8042.7z

obviously the name is not hard coded. read the script above.
%SystemDrive%\bin\un7zip.exe %SystemDrive%\DP*.7z %SystemDrive%\

"DP*.7z" is what gets copied / extracted.

mass textmode must be added with base

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

hi, some of the things in the latest change log are a little unclear to me,

quick question, does the new version (8.05) now natively support network share installs, or is the above information (instructions) still needed, thanks,

the above instructions are still the most up to date.

Has there been any work in automating the network installs for DriverPacks?  Is there anything that I can do to help?  I really need this...

did you check out the home page?
(SAD useing M2 should work)

Wow, that is AWESOME!  I assume that I just run DP_Install_Tool.cmd during GUIRunOnce?

Another problem, the update checker doesn't work for me.  It just hangs the whole thing.  Through Google, I found some other people here were having the same problem and it seemed something was added to the .INI, but I can't find what.  I'm using an ISA proxy if that matters, and that proxy is set in my IE settings.

there was an issue... i fixed it last year

I created a workaround useing a command line switch, but in the process of createing the workaround i fixed the problem and the command line switch was not neccessary, however it is still available.

http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=2332

new command line switch by request  /proxy

Usage /proxy:"LocalProxy:Port"[,"Username","Password"]
examples
DPs_BASE.exe /proxy:"192.168.1.1:8080"
DPs_BASE.exe /proxy:"LocalProxy:8080","administrator","password"

i'm very confused now,

network installs is now supported thanks to the new method SAD M2,

but could someone explain how, or perhaps lead me to a website that does,

i was originally planning to do it using the "Sysangel" http://ping.windowsdream.com/winner.html
Method, but of course ran into the problem of those 2 files not being found,

if i run the SAD M2 option on the disk, will that do the trick, or does using this new SAD option require me to use a specific method,

a method perhaps that does not involve the winner project over at sysangel,

i have windows xp as host,

i want a laptop to load up a PXE boot and then install windows XP over the LAN

the XP i want to install is

XP SP3 December 2008 updates slipstreamed + Auto answer file created,

but not sure how to go about it now, do i just do M2 SAD option, then carry on with the Sysangel winner option,
or do i need to use Autoimage,

could some one help me, as i'm a little confused,

does this new SAD option fix the XP so i can use it with any type of RIS install method, or do i still need to do something specific, or use a particular method,

appreciate any help, thanks, or any suggestions on a method anyone can recommend (i use Tftpd32 as a server, i do not and will not use windows server (way out of my league unfortunately, i always somehow break it too easily)).

In order to do RIS you need to use base with AutoImage... yes
that works great!

As you already know RIS is a server feature...
you will have to choose an alternate host to do RIS without one...
Imageing software such as ghost is affordable and effective. this may be a better solution for you?

"you will have to choose an alternate host to do RIS without one..."
Won't "Tftpd32" resolve that issue, as it works very well for PXE Booting,

or does AutoImage insist on having a windows server?