Topic: Older drivers possible?

Hello there,

I have a nVidia FX5200 graphics card, unfortunately the latest drivers do not work correctly with it under Windows 2000 (not sure about XP x86, but probably also stuffed).

The problem has to do with playing back media files in any account other than the Administrator, they come out very dark on the monitor and on my TV (using full screen video device) they are black and RED rather than colour.

Changing to the earlier 71.84 drivers fixes the problem, is it possible to alter the inf files so that users of these older cards get the more reliable driver?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.84.html

I suspect that nVidia does only the most basic of compatibility tests on their older hardware when releasing new driver versions as I also have problems under Win XP x64.

If I use the latest (x64) drivers then when my system turns off the monitor after 20 minutes of inactivity, nothing can make it wake up again.  Again switching to the earlier 71.84 x64 drivers fixes the problem.

Edit:

Further investigation reveals that the last working driver version is 78.01, it seems the glitch was introduced in the 8x.xx forceware series.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_78.01.html

Last edited by Kurt_Aust (2007-06-23 17:42:54)

Re: Older drivers possible?

We may have to splinter the packs to rebalance.  Graphics_A is already pushing 90MB compressed and doesn't support older Geforce hardware.  We may have to reshuffle and add older nVidia hardware into Graphics_B.  It's possible we may have to create a Graphics_D (for outdated, unsupported hardware) for archival purposes to keep the other DriverPacks managable.  Otherwise, we're looking at 'exceptions overload'.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

Older nVidia hardware is supported by DP Graphics C, as you can see here: http://driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/devices.php?pag=gc. I guess you forgot to slipstream this DriverPack.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

No, I slipstreamed all the DriverPacks as I'm doing this primarily to test my Up-to-Date Win2000 project.

The packs do in fact install a driver, the problem lies with nVidia's quality control on their omnibus drivers.

It seems that only the current and immediately previous generation graphics chipsets are extensively tested before releasing drivers.  So if you're using an older card that is nominally supported by the current driver series, you could be in for the odd nasty surprise.

These FX series cards are still being sold (cheap as chips) as it's all you really need if you are not a gamer.

[Opposite of Heaven], I'm still pissed off that they only ever released beta x64 drivers for nForce 3 series motherboards.

Kurt_Aust wrote:

The packs do in fact install a driver, the problem lies with nVidia's quality control on their omnibus drivers.

It seems that only the current and immediately previous generation graphics chipsets are extensively tested before releasing drivers.  So if you're using an older card that is nominally supported by the current driver series, you could be in for the odd nasty surprise.

Have you tried filing a support ticket to their QA or whoever is responsible department?
I'm not sure how this works for nVidia, but ATi has something that works reportedly acceptable (not going to get fixed immediately but at least they will update their KB and acknowlegde it in most cases wink), so I assume it should be similar for them.

I know that the work-around is probabaly rather simple for us to implement (albeit pushing the size of the packs once more... hmm), but it should not be our main concern to fix stuff the manufacturer/driver provider broke in first place.
Also, getting them to fix this is unarguably the preferred method of dealing with this issue wink

[Opposite of Heaven]

Why, I never knew we had that strict rules regarding swearing wink
As long as your post aren't made up of vulgar by the larger share, I think one or two "bad words" here and there are totally acceptable.
Not trying to persuade you to it, just pointing out smile

My support request to nVidia:

Question Reference #070622-000168
Summary:     Graphics Card HWID: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0322&SUBSYS_290F107D&REV_A1\4&1AD7642&0&...
Product Level 1:     Graphics cards
Category Level 1:     Troubleshooting
Date Created:     06/22/2007 03:38 PM
Last Updated:     06/22/2007 03:38 PM
Choose OS:     Other Microsoft
Product Name:     FX5200
Driver Version:     93.71

Discussion Thread
Customer (Kurt Frank)    06/22/2007 03:38 PM
Graphics Card HWID:
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0322&SUBSYS_290F107D&REV_A1\4&1AD7642&0&0058

Under Windows 2000, video playback only works correctly with the Administrator account. On other accounts (even administrator class accounts) the video on my monitor is very dark and on my TV (using full screen mode) it displays in Black & RED !!

Under Windows XP x64, when the monitor is turned off after 20 minutes of inactivity, it intermittently (about 50% of the time) won't turn back on again. It seems the PC responds to keyboard input (the HDD light activates) but the only way to recover is by hard reset.

In both cases, reverting to the earlier 71.84 drivers (before 7xxx series compatibility was added) fixes the problems.

And their response:

Subject
Graphics Card HWID: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0322&SUBSYS_290F107D&REV_A1\4&1AD7642&0&...

Discussion Thread
Response (MZ)    06/22/2007 04:42 PM
Hello Greg,

Thank you for contacting us here at NVIDIA Customer Care.

I understand from your email, that you are having issues while playing video files using GeForce FX 5200 graphics card.

In order to troubleshoot the issue you are facing, I suggest you to download and install 84.21 drivers for your graphics card. For clean installation of new drivers, Please uninstall the existing graphics drivers * (check the below mentioned steps) for GeForce FX 5200 graphics card. Download the Forceware 84.21 version of drivers from our website and disable onboard graphics adapter if any.

Please follow the steps mentioned below to download Forceware 84.21 versions for the GeForce FX 5200

Please visit the link below to download the driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_84.21.html

On the following page, click on the "Primary Download Site" URL to download the driver. To avoid download issues, if you are running any 3rd party download utilities, please disable them as they are known for occasionally causing errors with the downloads.

* Once you download the file, Please perform the below mentioned steps to uninstall the drivers currently installed on your PC before installing the 84.21 drivers,

1) Right click on the My Computer icon on the desktop.

2) Select properties.

3) In the next window select Hardware and then select Device Manager.

4) On the Device Manager, under Display Adapters double click on the graphics card option.

5) On the Graphics Controller Page, select driver and click on Uninstall to uninstall the Graphics Drivers.
NOTE- Before installing the new drivers please disable Anti Virus program if you are running on your computer.

Please get in touch with us, if you need further assistance.

Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care.

So it seems they also recommend using older drivers, though I'll give them credit for a fast response (under 2 hours).  Of course it does make a lie of the standard troubleshooting step of ensuring you have the latest drivers.

As to the swearing rules, a surprisingly large number of websites won't even allow you to use Rhett Butler's most famous line.

Edit:

Further investigation reveals that the last working driver version is 78.01, it seems the glitch was introduced in the 8x.xx forceware series.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_78.01.html

Last edited by Kurt_Aust (2007-06-23 17:41:58)

Kurt_Aust wrote:

Make sure to let nvidia QA know about this.  I know from working in QA that reports like this do NOT go un-noticed. 
Although, it's becoming standard 'party-line' politics to let older hardware go unsupported in newer driversets to keep filesizes down and optimize the code.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

Yes, I have already done so.  However, as they are going into the weekend now, the reply might take a bit longer this time.

mr_smartepants wrote:
Kurt_Aust wrote:

Make sure to let nvidia QA know about this.  I know from working in QA that reports like this do NOT go un-noticed. 
Although, it's becoming standard 'party-line' politics to let older hardware go unsupported in newer driversets to keep filesizes down and optimize the code.

Yeah, but then they should completely drop support for that series of cards (as in have the driver refuse to install) instead of acknowledging the card as de facto supported but break several vital functions.

No one gains anything by this half-assed HW support and customers are wondering why the latest driver does not work properly for them.

Also, I doubt it's mainly the file size that these companies care about but rather the fact that if they carry these older cards along in the newest driver release they would have to (and aparently didn't in this case...) QA each and every feature on each and every card to ensure a fix for the latest generation didn't break something on a predecessor.

While this is certainly understandable to some point, I actually hate both ATi and nVidia for doing this.
Personally, I think it would be better if they split the driver files (eg get rid of that dependancy of new and old HW) but kept them in one package still so all you ever need is to DL one file and have support for all cards of the manufacturer.

This certainly does not benefit the 56k user faction but from my experience, you can either get drivers from a PC magazine CD/DVD or at least know someone with a broadband connection.

nVidia's response to notification that the error was introduced in the 8x.xx forceware series:

Response (MZ)     06/25/2007 10:16 AM
Hi Kurt,

I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

This not the normal behavior of the graphics card and In order to troubleshoot the issue you are facing I suggest you to please visit the given link and run the mentioned software in order to test the graphics card and please let me know the amount of power supply you are using on this computer.

http://www.sharewareconnection.com/vide … y-test.htm

Please note that if your system crashes and freezes while running this software, then the graphics  card has some problems. It might be defective. So, you might have to look for different graphics card for your system.

Looking forward for your response.

Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care.

and my response to their response:

Customer (Kurt Frank)     06/26/2007 12:16 AM
Well, I ran the suggested software for 10 hours with no errors detected.

I find this not at all surprising as given the symptoms, a hardware error being the cause seems rather unlikely.

If the error was caused by hardware, one might reasonably expect that the error would be either consistent or intermittent.

However, an error that occurs consistently with non-Administrator accounts on certain driver versions, definitely points to software.

Sometimes one has to wonder if they actually read the support request or if they have a "trained monkey" problem solving flowchart that has to be followed.

Kurt_Aust wrote:

Sometimes one has to wonder if they actually read the support request or if they have a "trained monkey" problem solving flowchart that has to be followed.

Probably the latter.

Those guys doing the actual tech support unfortunately are most likely not educated technicians - it would be way too expensive for any company to "waste" these precious human resources sitting on a phone line or and email account all day.
They have to use some guys/gals that do the flowchart kind of Q&A with customers, also because there are unfortunately (for the companies AND customers like you and me) way too many folks calling who could not be bothered or are incapable of reading the manual.
It's those folks that do need to be talked through the "check whether the light glows, re-attach the cables, make sure you actually powered the device on..." process - of course you do not want a high-payed technician doing this.

The trick is here to get past this "dumbass" barrier by convincing the tech support folks that you are having a real problem, know that you have done everything written in the FAQ (which you also read and understood) and your problem can only be solved by a technician/engineer of theirs.

I find this to work better on phone than on email because it is a more direct form of communication.
They simply cannot just give you standardized pre-recorded answers on the phone as they do with email.
Plus, you can tie them so long until they "give up" and put you through - something you cannot do with mail, either (unless you harrass-spam them, maybe...).

Once you reached someone with which you can talk on an even level - unless they company really does not care about customer support at all - such problems can be sorted out quite quickly.
You know the guy on the other line definately understands you and he knows that this is not just a prank call, either.

It does take quite some endurance to get that far but it can be very satisfying when it does big_smile

Helmi wrote:

The trick is here to get past this "dumbass" barrier by convincing the tech support folks that you are having a real problem, know that you have done everything written in the FAQ (which you also read and understood) and your problem can only be solved by a technician/engineer of theirs.

And you'd be right:

Response (MP)    06/27/2007 02:13 PM
Hi Kurt,

Your case is being escalated to our Level 2 Tech Support group. The Level 2 agents will review the case notes and may attempt to recreate your issue or find a workaround solution if possible. As this process may take some time we ask that you be patient and a Level 2 tech will contact you as soon they can to help resolve your issue.

Best Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care

[Edit]

Apparently, it's a known problem:

Response (tw)    06/28/2007 01:57 PM
Hello Kurt,

I don't think your experiencing any stability problems or hardware problem. There are known problems with the Full Screen video function from release 85 and on including sync issues and aspect ratio handling. Driver developers are aware of this problem and will resolve the problem in the future. As a workaround disable Full Screen video. Also disable overlay in your Media Player.

-Open Media Player 10 or 11.

Go to tools->options->performance->advanced.

Uncheck use overlays for both Video Acceleration and DVD Video.

Check Use High Quality Mode and click ok and apply.

-Thereafter, play your video or dvd in Media Player and drag the application window to your second display and maximize it.

Best regards,
NVIDIA

A bit of a pain if you use your PC as a media center, somehow I think I'll stick with the older (working) drivers.

[/Edit]

Last edited by Kurt_Aust (2007-06-29 14:36:30)