Topic: OPEN: change OemPnPDriversPath to use a FTP server

I've a question?
I'm using RIS 2003 in a network and wanna setup a unattended XP installation with all kind of drivers.
So i was reading the forum, and there are some usefull idea's.
But there is one thing that's not clear to me and i think i forget something.

Why would you copy the drivers to the local machine by putting it in the folder $oem$\$1
Why not set the OemPnPDriverspath to a network share so that it only copy the drivers that de pc needs.

And if that's possible, can i set the OemPnPDriversPath to a ftp server so there is one database.

Last edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky (2006-06-28 05:29:32)

Re: OPEN: change OemPnPDriversPath to use a FTP server

OemPnPDriversPath is utilized at T-39 (the very beginning) of the GUI portion of setup.  At this point your NIC has not been installed yet, therefor it cannot access the network to get the drivers.  The "best" way to do drivers w/ RIS is to use Method 2 and just copy down all of the DriverPacks to the system drive.  Method 1 will work just fine, but now you're doing a copy operation on an additional 5,000 or so files.  Much faster to copy a dozen larger files than thousands of tiny ones.

To back tack a little here - During the PnP enumeration of devices you probably notice near the progress bar that it says Installing Devices (or something similar).  The very next thing after that is "Configuring Network".  It's not until that is finished that you have network access.  Cmdlines.txt has full blown Internet access for instance.  I know this for sure as I download files to the target computer during cmdlines.

Re: OPEN: change OemPnPDriversPath to use a FTP server

Thxs for the fast reply.

Do you have a copy of your Cmdlines.txt?
I like to reduce my network bandwith and do not want to copy drivers that the pc doesn't need.
So the network card is setup in a late stadium. If i copy only the network card drivers and set de OEMpnpDriversPath to a networkshare.

Will Windows detect these drivers at first login ?