Topic: fake setup call himself instead original "setup.exe" - Setup Abort

when i start setup from inside existing xp(to repair the current installation), it copies files, reboots and during setup, it says
"fake setup call himself instead original "setup.exe" - Setup Abort" and restarts.
i cant proceed further or enter the old windows. i then compiled an xp distribution without DP and saved it. is there way to repair xp with the DP integrated CD? I know running setup from inside xp ignores the [Unattended] section. but what about xp integrated with driverpack even if i want to do manual repair? is it not possible to repair xp with integrated DP?

Re: fake setup call himself instead original "setup.exe" - Setup Abort

we were already expecting reply for one year in this post :
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=70780

The answer you seek is discussed here: http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=669

In summary,
Rename 'winnt.sif' to 'winnt.sif.old'
Add this to 'i386\presetup.cmd' in your CD image:

DEL /F %systemroot%\system32\setupold.exe

OR if you already have a hung up repair install going - boot into Repair Console from the XP CD and delete the 'setupold.exe' file from the C:\windows\system32 folder then reboot.

As far as I know you can only do upgrades of XP from one version to another (Home to Pro) using the installer from within Windows (I suppose it works the same way though).  A standard repair install is executed by booting from the XP CD.

Cheers,
-felipe

thanks felipegeek. atlast a solution long awaited.

That solution was posted - October 4 2006?

i guess you mean your glad you finally found it.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

oh yes. im yet to try the solution, besides im glad to have the solution in hand.
btw how did i cant able to get hold of this solution when i searched for it before....

i have a question, if i rename winnt.sif to winnt.sif.old, how can i use the answer file for unattended settings.

rajeshkumar,

You can't do 'unattended' if you want to do 'repair' using conventional methods.  To do that from a single CD you would have to setup a multiboot CD configuration.  I found it too complicated so I opted to do it without unattended options.

I rarely do straight installs.  I build my base images in VMware then use a disk imaging program to capture the fully configured OS with certain applications, utilities, tweaks and an optimized default user profile.  With the DriverPacks integrated I can restore the image on a just about any PC or laptop, boot and wait about 10 minutes for just about every piece of HW to get detected.  Then I just install whatever remaining windows patches or minor application updates there were since I created the source image as well as whatever client specific software is needed.

-felipe

I noticed that repairing windows, which was installed using non-slipstreamed one(which was not integrated with DP) using DP integrated cd doesnt give this fake setup error. It pops up only when repairing a OS which was installed using DP integrated one.

Also i saw that not only winnt.sif is ignored, but cmdlines.txt and RunOnceEx.cmd files too didnt execute when i did repair install.
When that fake setup error popped up, i prepared a non-DP cd and repaired it.

Your way of creating xp cd sounds interesting and hope that consumes less time for the install process to a new computer. i would like to try your method once. but i wonder how the computer boots after the captured image is copied to a new system and rebooted. because when i connect my hdd to another computer and boot, it says to remove any new hardware components recently installed. so it only boots on the computer which is used to install xp.

You will notice that after doing a Repair install, you need to manually run DPSFinisher.exe from the root of the system drive.  This will move the driver packs to the windows folder as per method 2.  I have done extensive work in getting the repair process to work, and am more that willing to share what I have developed and learned through the process.

I have a very simplified multiboot configuration that works very well.  It offers unattended and repair setups.

YCGIYWG (You Can't Get, If You Won't Give)
DizzyDen

Last edited by DizzyDen (2007-05-21 02:04:40)

always remember.....
DizzyDen

hi dizzyDen

how did you do it? I am all ears.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

So am I, this sounds very useful.

Hi there Jaak, been on vacation, first in 3 years.

regards Stu

DizzyDen, seems wonderful. can you share your way of doing repair install.
my main problem is the fake setup one.

First off, I would like to thank felipegeek for quoting my method of fixing the fakesetup call.

Here is my method along with files necessary (well, files when i figure out how to attach files here).....

My method has been to create my cd structure, utilize nLite for my modifications, then utilize DP Base to use all driverpacks, then I use Ryan's for the post SP2 and any addons I chose.  That is standard for me, the trick is following this....

I have a separate folder in which I keep my "Prepaing" patches.

In this folder I have my multiboot.bin giving me the startup menu to choose between normal unattended, or repair install.

to set it all up, I copy all contents of my prepairing folder to the root of my cd structure, then I run my !RUNME.CMD patch my presetup.cmd file, make other changes I desire, and delete my patch file, and itself.

Please note, you will need to remove the filecase line if you don't have that utility.

!RUNME.CMD:

@echo off
echo Working on setting up the CD structure.
if exist i386\presetup.cmd type i386\presetup.cmd |find /V "\system32\setup" > PRESETUP.ORG
if exist presetup.org copy /Y PRESETUP.FIX + PRESETUP.ORG PRESETUP.CMD 
if exist presetup.cmd move /Y PRESETUP.CMD I386 
del /F /Q PRESETUP.* 
del /F /Q I386\*.ORG 
choice /TY,15 Remove Language and migration (upgrade) folders
if ERRORLEVEL 2 goto continue
echo Removing folders from the CD structure.
rd /s /q I386\LANG
rd /s /q I386\WIN9XMIG 
rd /s /q I386\WIN9XUPG 
rd /s /q I386\WINNTUPG 
:continue
echo Converting filename case to uppercase.
filecase /s /h /q /d /u *.*
del /F !RUNME.CMD

contents of PRESETUP.FIX used in 4th line above:

Now, for the multiboot to work you need to have two files available.
In my folder for repairing, i have a sub folder i386 that contains 4 files (you really only need 2, I keep a version of WINNT.SIF that i like there, removed all traces of nLite etc. and the original unedited version of SETUPLDR.BIN)...

The two files you will need that will be added to the i386 folder in your cd file structure are:
REPNT.SIF (modified version of WINNT.SIF)
REPAIRNT.BIN (modified version of SETUPLDR.BIN to use REPNT.SIF)

Contents of REPNT.SIF:

[Data]
AutomaticUpdates="Yes"
Autopartition=0
MsDosInitiated=0
UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[SystemRestore]

[GuiUnattended]
EncryptedAdminPassword="No"
AutoLogon="Yes"
TimeZone=020
OEMSkipRegional=1
OemSkipWelcome=1

[Components]
Iis_common=Off
Iis_ftp=Off
Iis_inetmgr=Off
Iis_internetdataconnector=Off
Iis_nntp=Off
Iis_serversideincludes=Off
Iis_smtp=Off
Iis_webadmin=Off
Iis_webdav=Off
Iis_www=Off
Iis_www_vdir_scripts=Off
Iis_asp=Off

[UserData]
ProductKey="PUT YOUR CD KEY HERE"

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=1
Language= "0409"

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents="Yes"

in actuallity, what you do for the REPNT.SIF file is remove the entire [UNATTENDED] portion of WINNT.SIF

this does not lose very many features of an unattended install on REPAIR....

I will upload, or send my boot files to anyone that wishes to have them...

Some more of my method is included in second post in this thread.

Regards,
DizzyDen

Last edited by DizzyDen (2007-05-24 06:40:44)

always remember.....
DizzyDen

thanks dizzyden, i would try your "most wanted" method. kindly send the actual files for my reference to my id rajesh2404@aim.com

Last edited by rajeshkumar (2007-05-24 21:11:22)

rajeshkumar wrote:

thanks dizzyden, i would try your "most wanted" method. kindly send the actual files for my reference to my id rajesh2404@aim.com

I have attached my files in .7z format in the discussion in MSFN  Forum Thread

Last edited by DizzyDen (2007-05-27 02:50:53)

always remember.....
DizzyDen

Please can anyone help me with this problem??? i didnt get how to do that,please explain me step by step here or at my mail adress.thx a lot

not helpful and removed ... jeff

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

but i cant open windows,the setup wont let me,it shows the message "fake setup call..." what r those files u told me and how to delete them? need more details plzzzzzzzz

Here is an easier version of the instructions...

Use a repair disk that  Does Not  have DriverPacks added and you will not have this issue.

DriverPacks does not currently support attended installations (like a repair)
- If you can follow instructions like the ones posted above, it is possable.
- (it is still not supported... but it will work)

Hint:
There is only one way that you can do a repair with an unmodified DriverPacks slipstreamed disc...
   IF   the only pack you selected for your slipstream was the Mass Storage Textmode checkbox. wink

but how can i do that?? what is this repair disc?? if i insert another windows cd it doesnt recognise it and the fake setup error appears.Shall i download something or what??damn we cant understand eachother!!!!!!!!!!

this is my presetup file   where to add that comand or what to do

REM |                                                                          |
REM |   This presetup.cmd file was dynamically generated by the DriverPacks    |
REM |   BASE, to work with the DriverPacks without any further editing.        |
REM |   However, if you would like to add some custom functionality, you can   |
REM |   edit this file without any problems. Just take into record that this   |
REM |   file will be erased if you run the DriverPacks BASE on these Windows   |
REM |   installation files again!                                              |
REM |                                                                          |
REM |   With special thanks to:                                                |
REM |   -Pyron, a06lp and iLE for their help with this method;                 |
REM |   -schalti for the optional 'Keep the Drivers' system and Pyron (again)  |
REM |    for turning it into an executable.                                    |
REM |   -SuperTibaldoKart for creating un7zip.exe                              |
REM +==========================================================================+

REM +==========================================================================+
REM |   Finding CD/DVD driveletter.                                            |
REM |--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
SET TAGFILE=\OEM
FOR %%i IN (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y) DO IF EXIST "%%i:%TAGFILE%" SET CDDRIVE=%%i:

REM |   Decompressing the DriverPacks to the harddisk - using un7zip.exe.      |
REM |--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
%CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\un7zip.exe %CDDRIVE%\OEM\DRIVER.7z %SystemDrive%\

REM |   Copying/decompressing the files to finish the installation.            |
%CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\un7zip.exe %CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\*.7z %SystemDrive%\
COPY /Y %CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\DPsFnshr.ini %SystemDrive%\
IF EXIST %CDDRIVE%\OEM\*.ins COPY /Y %CDDRIVE%\OEM\*.ins %SystemDrive%\

REM |   Scanning for driverdirectories.                                        |
%CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\DevPath.exe %SystemDrive%\D

REM |   Disable Driver Signing Policy and keep it disabled.                    |
START %SystemDrive%\DSPdsblr.exe

EXIT

plz reply back

u told me lets see your DPs_BASE.log  what is that?

When you used DriverPacks BASE to install the DriverPacks into your source files, a log was created in the same folder as DriverPacks BASE...

I wish to see it. You can search your hdd for the file name. wink