Re: [HOWTO] create a drivers-only disc

jtdoom, do you have your drivers only cd working? I cannot seem to get it working, so I started my own installer executable. Currently I am stuck at the point where the drivers actually need to be installed. Forced install using devcon doesn't work and leaves you with crap. Getting Windows to find them after setting devpath doesn't do much either...

The method I have documented in other posts works flawlessly.

Removing setupold.exe at the end of implementation would eliminate the need for it to be done on a new setup with presetup.cmd.

Or you could include the deleting of setupold.exe at the beginning of presetup.cmd as documented.

always remember.....
YCGIYWG (You Can't Get, If You Won't Give)
DizzyDen

today I finally experimented my heart out.
FINI.cmd is rather useless on a vanilla installed machine.

cannot find mixer breaks it.
when adapted, still pretty much useless.
signing did not hold up, and I had to show it where the driver was.
---------------------------------------------

dopath when you have a M2 source

or, use a M1 source.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

I'm trying to get this to work and I'm not having any luck. I have machines which I deploy through RIS that install hardware with these driverpacks and it works flawlessly, however some machines (laptops) do not have a PXE compatible network card so I must install windows with a CD. I want to make a batch file that will copy over the drivers from my server, update the current drivers on the computer with the ones I just copied, and then wipe everything I copied off of it.. and I want all this automated if possible.

I think I get it... what I have to do is this:

quote from OverFlow:
Quite simple to do
Just create a CD using method 1

PS its over 300 meg useing method 2 and around 500 useing method 1 with all packs selected.

PPS You can put the cab compressed drivers that are in the $OEM$ folder after method 1 on a CD by themselves for what you want, furthermore, fully extracting the drivers from the 7zip archives will result in over 1 gig of drivers.

You are saying that windows will be able to find the drivers in the cab form, so method 1 is beneficial for fitting the drivers on CD.

So what I will try after finished is this:
1. After installing windows xp, I find in the device manager items without correct drivers.
2. click "Update driver" for one of those items
3. click "Install from a list or specific location"
4. checkbox "Search removable media" and click next

If instead I were to checkbox "Include this location in the search", could I choose the root folder for the drivers?  I think this option will ONLY look in the one "location" selected, with no subfolders.  Please confirm.

I believe USB 2.0 hi speed is faster than a 52x CD-Rom by about 5 to 10 times:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_device_bandwidths

Is it possible to put the DriverPacks on an external USB drive, and specify a folder for Windows XP to "Search for the best driver in these locations", that would include all the subfolders?

If not, does a USB thumb drive qualify under "Search removable media"?

Method 1 failed.  In order to make it work, while it was running I copied stuff from .\D\D\ to .\D\ so that it wouldn't give a critical error when it found nothing in .\D\
Also told me:

Created OemPnpDriversPath entry.  The length is 15591, which EXCEEDS the 4096 character limit.  You can continue the installation, but the paths listed after the 4096 character limit will NOT be processed.  You may want to remove some DriverPacks or switch to method 2.

but I guess this doesn't matter since winnt.sif won't be used with "Search removable media" when updating a driver.

Use devpath to tell your system where the drivers are

devpath is at
%CDDRIVE%\OEM\BIN\DevPath.exe

just type devpath and add the path to the driverpacks

DevPath.exe [usb drive letter]:\$OEM$\$1\D

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

far as I know, there is a critical bug when you do NOT use QSC for method 1, and minor bugs when you use method 2 without QSC.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

april 2008
this tool works.
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=2403

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.