Topic: If Nlite and DriverPacks are giving you problems

I started out using nlite, and then RVM Integrator. Ryan's post SP2 update pack turned a long tedious job into a one click process. Still, I stayed true to nlite, using it to intigrate the RVM update pack and many addons.

The third step in this evolution was DriverPacks by Bâshrat the Sneaky. At this point, I discovered several conflicts between the driverpack finisher and nlite.... So I began wondering if nlite was really needed.

Nlite is a great app for easy and fast tweaks, removing components, creating a winnt.sif. etc. But, I have recently discovered all these things can be done by hand, and (of course) by using the RVM intigrator.... thus nlite (although faster) is expendable. The rvm intigrator works great, when used with REGTWEAKS
and the addons for REMOVING WINDOWS COMPONENTS. (Thanks, keytotime)

I then discovered that there was no need to write the winnt.sif by hand. By extracting XPCD\SUPPORT\TOOLS\DEPLOY.CAB, and deleting all files except deploy.chm and setupmgr.exe, you can run setupmgr.exe to create your winnt.sif.

Since I have stopped using Nlite, and use only RVM Integrator (and my reg tweaks added at cmdlines.txt,) no more issues with DriverPacks driverpacks, or other Nlite (commonly experienced) bugs.

NOTE: This post is not ment to slander Nlite..... it is a great app and usefull tool. This post is meant as a solution for those who experience problems when using nlite in conjunction with DriverPacks.

Last edited by ebin25 (2006-10-08 12:38:38)

Re: If Nlite and DriverPacks are giving you problems

I don't know what sort of difficulties you're having with nLite, but I've been using it for probably close to two years now with no issues regarding the DriverPacks.  Just for the record I use the RVM Integrator, nLite, and the DriverPacks - in that order.

RogueSpear wrote:

I don't know what sort of difficulties you're having with nLite, but I've been using it for probably close to two years now with no issues regarding the DriverPacks.

Yeah, same here.
No problems whatsoever.

I was doing it all manually before and that took a great deal of time (as well as error checking...), so nLite was really Godsent for me.

PS: Also not meant as a slander, just finding it a bit strange it gives problems to some users when I can't recall I ever had any. smile
Maybe there's something else causing the trouble apart from just nLite?

I used to have issues with found new hardware wizard durring my runonceex application installs (some computers it would be an ethernet card, others a cd rom, etc.)  After I cut Nlite this problem vanished.  It may be my build (VRMPVOL_EN 2180.) 

@Helmi and your insinuation that maybe i am too stupid to use nlite correctly.

I even got this problem when using Nlite ONLY to creat winnt.sif. In addition, I never removed much with nlite.... security center, error reporting, games, search assistant, tour, etc.

Last edited by ebin25 (2006-10-09 01:47:29)

ebin25 wrote:

@Helmi and your insinuation that maybe i am too stupid to use nlite correctly.

Nonono!

It's definately not my intetion to call anyone dumb here!
Rest assured I certainly won't allow myself to get to such a low level of discussion.

All I'm suggesting is maybe you are overlooking a minor detail (eg doing some manual edit besides nLite or a specific nLite setting that may cause this).
You know, sometimes you forget the most obvious and only realize when someone notifies you.

Anyway, what version of nLite are you using?
The latest is still an RC and although even the beta performed quite well for me, I very well know from beta testing for the DriverPacks that getting a perfect product is a very long and troublesome process with bugs appearing only on a specific constellation of problems.
Thsi is quite possibly also the case with nLite so of course it's not too unlikely that may be the case for you and the others receiving those errors.

(I have been loyal and a fan of nlite for quite some time.... a year maybe two, but lately...) With both nLite-1.0.1 and nLite-1.2rc, I have experienced problems with visual tweaks not being implemented, the "Found New Hardware" wizard durring runonceex, etc, etc, etc...

It may very well be the corporate version of xp I am using causing the conflict. Nevertheless, the conflict is there... and after exhausting all other possibilities, I found that cutting nlite out of the process alltogether was the best solution (in my case.) I have access to an old retail copy of xp (pre sp1.) I will use this copy to try narrowing the cause of my problems.

Sorry for taking offense , Helmi

Last edited by ebin25 (2006-10-09 05:50:14)

ebin25 wrote:

(I have been loyal and a fan of nlite for quite some time.... a year maybe two, but lately...) With both nLite-1.0.1 and nLite-1.2rc, I have experienced problems with visual tweaks not being implemented, the "Found New Hardware" wizard durring runonceex, etc, etc, etc...

Alright, this visual styles thing is something I did experience, too.
As if it totally irgnored any changes I made.
That was fixed in 1.2 for me at least.

It may very well be the corporate version of xp I am using causing the conflict.

I don't think so, but please conduct further tests to make sure.

Sorry for taking offense , Helmi

NP, my bad if I came over a bit wrong hmm

I kinda agree with your point
in order to minimize the errors in the LOOOOONG process of making a perfect uAXPSP3
I can do most of Nlite things manually just one more thing I wanna know how
the OEM thing for the oeminfo.bmp and oeminf.ini
how to enable that manually?

nlite is going ok for me EXCEPT!!!!

Nlite visual effects are not working for me.  Can I use reg tweaks or other methods to get the following results upon install?  I also want cleartype enabled upon first boot.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/3403/visualqp0.jpg