Topic: IMPLEMENTED: Finishing scripts feature requests

FEATURE REQUEST 1: Move finishing scripts, logs and tools to C:\D\bin and add option to NOT delete them. Why? Then I could  add DPs_fnsh.cmd to SYSPREP.INF and hardware specific tasks included on DPs_fnsh.cmd would be carried out on final hardware, not on hardware used to make image.

FEATURE REQUEST 2: 3rd party finishing scripts. I know this is not biggie, but some 3rd party drivers require special tricks after install and would be nice to have clean way to include them without hacking built-in DPs_fnsh.cmd that sometimes changes with DP Base updates.

Last edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky (2006-06-01 06:15:58)

Re: IMPLEMENTED: Finishing scripts feature requests

yikes I noticed that dps_fnsh.cmd does hardware specific cleanup, but I don't think it's dependent upon the system the slipstream was done on! It can't be true! Could it? smile

The following sentence is false.
The preceding sentence is true.

You're right. It doesn't care what type of computer was used to make install DVD.

What I'm after is easy way to install XP from DVD with Office etc, run Sysprep and copy that image to multiple PCs with Ghost or some other tool. Dumping Ghost image to target PC takes like 10 minutes compared to 2 hours for unattended OS and application install from DVD.

Without manually copying DP_fnsh.cmd and related files from DVD prior running Sysprep this will cause problems as tweaks in finishing scripts will be skipped.

@jr:

1. Just use the 'custom' finishing option wink

2. Will implement this.

@razormoon:
Yes, but jr is asking if I could add support for calling an external script as well. And so I will.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Implemented in DriverPacks BASE 6.05.3.

Make sure your script is named (or called by)

%SystemDrive%\3pscript.cmd

This file must be available during the execution of DPs_fnsh.cmd (which is called by fnsh_log.cmd). It will be executed just before the cleanup.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

The current DPs_fnsh.cmd performs two major tasks in one command file:
1) Install the graphics and sound control panels
2) KtD (Keep the drivers)

Is it possible for you to break these 2 steps into individual "finishing command" files. One for installing control panels and another for KtD.

If they are split into two files, we could execute the following steps for a clean sysprep process:
1) Run "KtD" finish command file at the end of the unattended install (For syspreping, you will want to keep the drivers).
2) Follow this with silent installation of applications.
3) Perform a SYSPREP (which would leverage all of the KtD drivers).
4) At the end of the sysprep setup, run the "Install Control Panels" by adding the command to the Sysprep RunOnceEx.
5) An optional final cleanup step can be added to end of the sysprep RunOnceEx which would either KtD keep or remove the drivers.

As a result, we can install the unattended on "any" hardware and capture the sysprep'ed image. Once the sysprep'ed image is loaded on the new target hardware, the proper control panels will be installed based on the loading of certain devices.

Thanks

P.S. I put "any" in quotes because you can only use the sysprep'ed image on a target machine with a similar HAL.

Last edited by zookeeper (2006-06-07 07:08:53)