Topic: [PENDING] I386 folder

As you have the GUI interface, how about an option to copy the I386 folder to the \root or \windows (user option) and set a registry entry to point to that folder (if files are needed for drivers etc.)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SourcePath

I know it would take longer for the install, some of us don't mind that.

p.s. 6.08.6 took 1 min 02 secs and saw the RyanVM integration. Great update.

Re: [PENDING] I386 folder

'and saw the RyanVM integration'?

I've seen this before once, but can you remember me what the goal of copying the I386 dir was again?

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

I believe what he wants to do is copy the i386 folder to the hard disk and have it set as the install source.  One the scripts in my ScriptPack does this.

RogueSpear wrote:

I believe what he wants to do is copy the i386 folder to the hard disk and have it set as the install source.  One the scripts in my ScriptPack does this.

And the effect would be that ... ?

If you ever do something that requires your install CD, it's all on the hard drive and you aren't even asked for the CD.  It usually only happens when to try to add/remove windows components.

RogueSpear wrote:

If you ever do something that requires your install CD, it's all on the hard drive and you aren't even asked for the CD.  It usually only happens when to try to add/remove windows components.

Aha ok. I translate that to: "very few people need this feature". But...

BigBrit wrote:

As you have the GUI interface, how about an option to copy the I386 folder to the \root or \windows (user option) and set a registry entry to point to that folder (if files are needed for drivers etc.)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SourcePath

... that is the reason why BigBrit wants it.

BigBrit, the drivers that are included in Windows XP are ALWAYS copied to the HDD by default. You don't have to do this trickery to accomplish that! wink Or am I missing your point?

It is useful for adding OTHER things that are not installed by XP as default, i.e. Netbuei and various other Windows apps and utils.
Sometimes XP asks for the CD to be installed, I have mine on my bench, other people would have to search for theirs.
This is NOT related to your DriverPack program. Vendors such as HP, Dell, Gateway etc. always add the I386 folder to prevent user calls.

If you want to, I'll create you a script to easily do this. But I won't include it in the DriverPack Sound B, as it is totally NOT related to its purpose: slipstreaming the DriverPacks. I don't want to add options that are completely out of the target of the DriverPack Sound B: I want to keep it simple. This is not meant as a complete solution for creating your installation disc.

Thank you, I appreciate what you are saying about the scope of the project and agree with you.

A script would be most welcome as I am a hardware tech and programming it out of my league.

What programming language do you write the driverpacks in ????
(just interested)

Thank you for all your hard work and speedy replies to our problems.

Save this as copyI368.au3 and compile it with AutoIt 3 (http://www.autoitscript.com/). Now you'll have copyI386.exe. You can of course name it whatever you want. Also add it to GUIRunOnce/RunOnceEx/XPlode/WPI to execute it, or whatever you're using of course.

local $possibleDriveletters[24] = ["c", "d", "e", "f", "g", "h", "i", "j", "k", "l", "m", "n", "o", "p", "q", "r", "s", "t", "u", "v", "w", "x", "y", "z"]
local $set_driveLetter

; find drive letter
for $i=0 to uBound($possibleDriveletters)-1
	if fileExists($possibleDriveletters[$i] & ":\I386") then
		$set_driveLetter = $possibleDriveletters[$i] & ":"
		exitLoop
	endIf
next

; copy I386\* directory to %systemroot%\source\I386\*
dirCopy($set_driveLetter & "\I386", @windowsDir & "\source\I386")

; update the 
regWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion", "SourcePath", "REG_SZ", @windowsDir & "\source\I386")
regWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup", "SourcePath", "REG_SZ", @windowsDir & "\source")

That should do the job!