Topic: [bug?]Odd IP conflict

Hello,

I'm trying to track down a issue that has popped up twice using my universal USB windows installer using nLite for windows updates and DPBase for Driver packs. 

This may just be a coincident and it really is some other computer or device conflicting, but I have my doubts. 

The message is IP conflict with machine yada yada with mac 28e7cfc45a4d (probably different mac on other computer, but same non 00 in front).  Has any one else run into this problem?  the 2 environments are completely different, with one being wireless with linksys router and other being wired with belkin router. 

Any advice in how to narrow down the issue would be appreciated.

** edit:  O yea oddly enough it says one of the devices conflicting (with mac as above) is called jebus ***

** Edit 2: Found a site that actually told me the mac is associated with a Apple device, so maybe it is just some apple thing on both networks not properly getting DHCP ...  **

Last edited by OO-Dragon (2011-07-01 17:00:08)

Re: [bug?]Odd IP conflict

Is the device mac 28e7cfc45a4d set to obtain IP from DHCP (not static)?

If so then "it is just some apple thing on both networks not properly getting DHCP ..."

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

I'm not sure, one is at a golf course with free access, the other is at some ones house without encryption but in the back country, and I though her house was far enough away that the neighbors couldn't reach their wireless (they them selves do not own any apple products) ... but I may be wrong and maybe they are in reach. 

The main thing that has me wondering for at the golf course, is it is only the one computer out of at least 3 others on the network that is saying it, and originally I was changing the IP to static, changing the MAC address, all without success until I thought I pinned it down to a linksys Wireless-G Range Expander, because after removing it, the problem stopped for a day (it was happening every few min constantly with it).  Now it happens a lot less but apparently is still happening. 

I'm going to head down there next week and also flash their router with DD-WRT because I think it has a better DHCP service that can de-authorize clients and hopefully better re-allocate them after.

Well I put DD-WRT on the router and it seemed to solve the problem.  Also all the ones showing an IP conflict were from an apple product.  So nothing to do with the driver packs, just a problem with apple products and probably certain routers / switches.

if there is only one dhcp server on the network then an IP should not be duplicated... unless there are attached devices with static IP's (a client issue, if reservations are not set for the static IP's on the DHCP server), that seems like a dhcp server issue.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

O i know all about static IP's and DHCP ranges and TCP/IP networks, and my first impression was that exactly, but when it happened in 2 places weeks apart after using my new fully updated / driver installer, I was a bit suspicious (especially since I have never run into it before without finding a simple static IP somewhere).  I also did not find any statically set IP's on either network (that I didn't set myself and very much outside the DHCP range).  I did find a few posts about apple having issues about not looking far enough through switches to make sure its not using some one else's IP though, and both conflicting IP's were coming from apple MAC addresses. 

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA21359?viewlocale=en_US

I think what helped the most is "DHCP-Authoritative" on DD-WRT, as it will have a list of validated clients and tell any others with IP's from another network to refresh and request another IP instead of assuming the old IP first.