Topic: xp sp3 very slow to detect usb flash drives after driver pack

hey all

due to our enviroment we decided to make a fully automated installer with the driver pack drivers. everything works fine the only problem is once windows is going, if you put in something like a usb key, it will churn along for a minute or so with a process reaching max cpu usage and the hdd going ballistic.

i had ktd disabled, so is this normal? or is my computer full of drivers and xp is searching for the usb ones?

thanks

Re: xp sp3 very slow to detect usb flash drives after driver pack

So sorry if this is a dumb question, yet here goes. (my grammer).  Have you defragged your hard drive? hmm

Alternatively, can you check your Device Manager to confirm that your hard drive is not stuck in PIO mode?

Last edited by TechDud (2011-05-24 14:08:25)

its a fresh install so defragging should not be nessicary.

it is not in PIO mode. i am sure it is not a hardware issue as this is happening as it happens in virtual enviroments too.

When KTD is not selected are the driver packs all removed? because my guess would be that it is searching alot of files for the correct driver inf's

I may redo my cd just to make sure.

**SOLVED**

cheap usb keys must have some generic driver strings forcing windows to sh*t itself. tried stuff like my usb fdd drive worked in seconds, other usb keys are fine too.

Last edited by Gruelius (2011-05-24 15:19:02)

A) after a fresh install defragmenting is ABSOLUTELY necessary take a look at a HDD after a fresh windows install wink. It normally takes me several passes with a good defragmenter to get the drive into even a half way decent condition big_smile. Note: the DriverPacks are about 3 gig of disc space... tell me that won't cause some fragmentation big_smile. Not to mention the Windows temp files that are removed too, and any service packs that may have been included in the install, and any applications that may be installed, and their temp files, and so on. A drive is rarely more fragmented than after a fresh install...

Fresh install = Swiss Cheese

In fact after i reload a client machine i spend about 8 hour defragmenting it and then i make a Ghost image of it and burn it to a disc just in case i ever have to "restore" that machine again big_smile. (hint: for a home user machine, use a paper sleeve and tape it to the inside of the side panel... it's like buried treasure big_smile)

B) if KTD is not used then all drivers that are not used by the system are completely removed. (verify that %systemroot%\D is removed to make sure)

Glad you got it figured out!

Welcome to DriverPacks.net,
Have an Awesome day.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Perhaps it may be helpful to post the HWID of this usb key.  Controller-chip carping out?  Me bro's Sony 8GB drive became a 8Kb drive, yet restored to 8GB after a re-flash of controller-chip.  Does the usb-key have a loose connector?
(don't wiggle it - you may loosen it - Lead-free solder is notorious for lack of ductility, poor wetting, poor thermal-cycling, tin-wiskers, etc - even NASA wants to add 3% Pb to solder to increase reliability of electronics in general!)

Last edited by TechDud (2011-05-24 15:45:21)

all my solder is older than my kids... and when i run out i will hang up my soldering iron big_smile
"Give me lead or give me death" LOL

PS i have a drawer full of HP 8 gigs that i and others snapped up when they were cheap... HP had a really bad run there for a while seemed like 3 out of 4 was a brick or they would work on some machines and not others.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

I still have a good sized spool of 60/40 left.  Many datasheets advise against reworked on 'unleaded' circuits.  So far, the only objection i have found, is that the resultant rework no longer complies for Pb-free status, & shipping requirements!  I do not know if bimetal corrosion could be a problem?

can you post some HWID's (&/or USB device descriptors), as time permits, there are some 'factory tools' online for some controller types.

PS(non-adobe):  Some flash drives had 2 flash chips on one device in a 'RAID' config.

*note:  defragging may be undesirable on SSD's, i'm not sure if this is true with 'Hybrid' drives.  Factory tools may also be available online for some SSD controller types.  Gouda, very Gouda! big_smile

Last edited by TechDud (2011-05-26 09:59:25)