Topic: invalid key name and question about sata injection

I am a computer technician and working in a computer repair store.
I am making sysyrep and ghost the image for customer's computer. Definitely, it needs universal image.
I make my image using dell inspiron b120, intel single core. i didn't install any driver in the reference computer.

I followed the instruction in the website http://www.vernalex.com/guides/sysprep/index.shtml
i love this site. If the owner rewrite the instruction with mysysprep and offlinesysprep, it would be great.
Unfortunately,  i can't find any instruction about offlinesysprep. All they talk in that website is the release, some error, and etc.

Lastly, i ran this script and i got from QuadDamage's website.

@echo off
cd C:\SYSPREP

echo Enabling image for AMD and Intel processors
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\intelppm" /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 4 /f

echo Running sysprep and shutting down.
sysprep.exe -forceshutdown -mini -reseal -quiet -activated

Question #1. Then a error message said "invalid key name"
why is that? anyone know??? it seems that the registry isn't exist.
But the re-seal is successful. i need to fix intelppm problem when i ghost to AMD computer

Question #2. I made sysprep with the vernalex instruction a year ago. when i capture the image, i use "partition to image". THERE'S A PROBLEM WITH THIS. The ghost image works fine, but it doesn't work with brand new IDE hard drive. It only worked on used hard drive with existing OS. I believe "partition to image" didn't capture the MBR. Please correct me if i am wrong.  How do you guys capture it with ghost? do you guys use "disk to image"???

Question #3. I used a script and got it from this website. It's HWIDS.cmd. it's nice script.
i use "DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_1011" with this script.
it populates few thousand of entries. Is it way too many entries? does it affect the computer slow in mini-setup? will it work if i use so many entries? does it generate error? anyone tested it so far? haha. i am sorry. i got too many question.
Most customer's computer are DELL, HP, ACER, ASUS, LENOVO, COMPAQ, TOSHIBA, like these big brand.
So, i only needs the sata control for these computer included laptop and desktop.
In a year ago, i used some trick that solve sata controller problem. I change the sata mode to ide mode and the image works. I would like to add sata controller to the newly made image and make it better.

Question #4: how to always reset the activation with 30 days after deploy the image? I made the image a year ago, and the windows xp said trial expires and requires to activate before you can login. I would like the xp gives 30 days or 3 days no matter how old the image is.

Last edited by roadorange (2010-12-20 05:48:01)

Re: invalid key name and question about sata injection

has anyone tested a stable massStorage driverpack with xp sysprep?

i tested the sysprep on the same computer and ran the same command, reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\intelppm" /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 4 /f

it works and disable intelppm.
i believe the entry doesn't exist before. That could be error with invalid key name because i didn't install audio driver.

Last edited by roadorange (2010-12-20 18:41:27)

instruction for OffLineSysPrep is provided... see the sticky in this forum http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=3312 there is a link to the instructions in the first post.

1 don't know... We will wait and see if anyone responds.

2 Yes you must do Disk to Image to get boot sector with Ghost.
   (logicaly... Partitions don't include boot sectors)

3 Use OffLineSysPrep to add mass storage to image... it's the best way big_smile.

4 Questions related to Bypassing Licensing and that would violate the MS EULA are not appropriate here. Obviously the only correct thing to do is to activate each machine with a proper / valid key.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

OverFlow wrote:

instruction for OffLineSysPrep is provided... see the sticky in this forum http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=3312 there is a link to the instructions in the first post.

1 don't know... We will wait and see if anyone responds.

2 Yes you must do Disk to Image to get boot sector with Ghost.
   (logicaly... Partitions don't include boot sectors)

3 Use OffLineSysPrep to add mass storage to image... it's the best way big_smile.

4 Questions related to Bypassing Licensing and that would violate the MS EULA are not appropriate here. Obviously the only correct thing to do is to activate each machine with a proper / valid key.

OverFlow, i really wanna thank you that you reply my post. i am happy. hahaha
4. The reason i ask about reset the trial to give 3 days because i don't like to call microsoft to activiate the product. I love to use internet activation with few clicks. I work in a computer repair center and definitenly use legitimate product and it's legitimate business. I understand each machine has product key to use to activiate.
Sometimes, the sysprep image is not able to grab all the driver and is not able to activiate over the internet. It just happens sometimes. In that case, i have to call microsoft.
That's why it's always good to have windows remain 3 days to use. So i can login windows and install the remaining driver. then activiate the windows over the internet.

3.i am working on offlinesysprep and i just made livexp. i am testing them. i will come back to this forum very soon.

i believe the registry key isn't exist before sysprep because i didn't install audio driver. But the intelppm.sys is still there. It still may cause blue screen when deploy to AMD. I think it might be good idea to rename the file. i duno.

thank you. overflow

hi. someone posted a video for mysysprep and findHWIDS.
according to his instruction in the video, he runs findHWIDS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18nUdrHiLTE
if i skip the findHWIDS step, does my sysprep image?????????????
I don't really need sata control driver support. i just change the SATA mode to IDE. i really don't see the performance difference.
For now, i just want to make a regular sysprep for IDE controller and support intelppm and HAL auto-switching. that's all i want. I am trying mysysprep :"D. wish me luck plz. haha

2 hours later:
before sysprep, the hal is acpi pc.
after deploy the image on the same computer, it is the same acpi pc, but a driver come up as error in the first reboot. This driver is intel CPU celeron M and it is yellow exclamation point. that's not good. Then i restart the computer and it's gone. all the drivers are pick up. The computer pick up the driver correctly. Thanks to the driverpack from driverpack.net.

Should i change the ACPI PC to ACPI uniprocess? People said ACPI PC is more compatible than ACPI uniprocess. i mean should i change back to the original HAL?? When i first installed xp home on this laptop, it was ACPI Uniprocessor. i follow volnex's guide to change it to ACPI PC.

Half hour later, i deploy the image on a AMD Turion 64 X2 laptop, it doesn't pick up multiprocess HAL. I check task manager and it only shows one processor.
failed :"(
anyone know why?

1:  If the intelppm does not appear in the registry then you should not have to have a script to disable it. It wont be a problem if you restore it on an amd computer. You should also be looking in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\intelppm. This bug with intelppm is more suited for amd computers that were upgraded with sp2/3 and that the original image was created on an intel pc. I would assume that since you are going with an image that you would have SP3 and the latest servicepack already integrated, thereby negating the problem. (Of all the images that I have created and the thousands of computers that I have restored, I have never seen this error).

2:I use disk to image with ghost. Partition to image does not work.

3: You can only use offlinesysprep if you wish to integrate all of the drivers from the driverpacks mass storage. If you don't want to use offlinesysprep, you can use sysprep's way of loading drivers but you are limited in how many drivers can be loaded. The drivers in the driver pack consist of ide, sata, scsi and fibre channel drivers. For the desktops that I encounter, I only use ide and sata. My images use the sysprep way and only load the ide/sata drivers. If you choose to go this way I can provide the sysprep entries and modified mass storage pack.

4: Since you are fixing mostly major oem brands of computers ( dell, HP, etc) you should be using Oem pre-activated XP. All major oems use this kind of XP. You should not be using the COA sticker key. Since the OEM XP is preactivated, you will not run into the 30 day issue. ( If you dont believe me, grab a Dell XP restore cd, load it up on your inspiron b120. You will see that its activated once windows is finished. Grab magicjellybean keyfinder and you will see that the xp key doesnt match the coa sticker) Explaining OEM pre-activation is best for another post.

Other thoughts: You can't change sata to ide mode on every computer so you definitely need to integrated the drivers somehow. There is also a performance hit if you go that route.
As for the hal changing, I use the offlinesysprep to do the hal change. It works most (95%) of the time. I always use the base image with the ACPI PC hal.

bigfoot wrote:

1:  If the intelppm does not appear in the registry then you should not have to have a script to disable it. It wont be a problem if you restore it on an amd computer. You should also be looking in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\intelppm. This bug with intelppm is more suited for amd computers that were upgraded with sp2/3 and that the original image was created on an intel pc. I would assume that since you are going with an image that you would have SP3 and the latest servicepack already integrated, thereby negating the problem. (Of all the images that I have created and the thousands of computers that I have restored, I have never seen this error).

2:I use disk to image with ghost. Partition to image does not work.

3: You can only use offlinesysprep if you wish to integrate all of the drivers from the driverpacks mass storage. If you don't want to use offlinesysprep, you can use sysprep's way of loading drivers but you are limited in how many drivers can be loaded. The drivers in the driver pack consist of ide, sata, scsi and fibre channel drivers. For the desktops that I encounter, I only use ide and sata. My images use the sysprep way and only load the ide/sata drivers. If you choose to go this way I can provide the sysprep entries and modified mass storage pack.

4: Since you are fixing mostly major oem brands of computers ( dell, HP, etc) you should be using Oem pre-activated XP. All major oems use this kind of XP. You should not be using the COA sticker key. Since the OEM XP is preactivated, you will not run into the 30 day issue. ( If you dont believe me, grab a Dell XP restore cd, load it up on your inspiron b120. You will see that its activated once windows is finished. Grab magicjellybean keyfinder and you will see that the xp key doesnt match the coa sticker) Explaining OEM pre-activation is best for another post.

Other thoughts: You can't change sata to ide mode on every computer so you definitely need to integrated the drivers somehow. There is also a performance hit if you go that route.
As for the hal changing, I use the offlinesysprep to do the hal change. It works most (95%) of the time. I always use the base image with the ACPI PC hal.

Hi. bigfoot. thank you
2. Ya. someone told me to use disk to image. thank you.
3. Most customer's computer are either IDE or SATA. can you provide the sysprep entries and mofied mass storage pack? can you upload or post your sysprep.inf and mass storage pack? please :"D  thank you
If possible, please provide the step you use to make sysprep. I follow vernalx.com's guide and also use ACPI PC HAL.
4. My company does have DELL XP CD or HP XP CD, but the problem is that after install the xp, it requires to install drivers and update. That's why i want to use sysprep. The time that we spent to fix a computer is a consideration in these business. Another example is that our company use vista installation dvd to reinstall customer's computer. The security update and software reinstallation takes few hours. But now i want to focus on xp. I will check out vista sysprep in the future. I do have generic OEM XP cd. However, using DELL OEM cd doesn't make difference. Pre-activation is good, but i think spending less time to fix a computer is also important.
When deploy sysprep image on regular computer and all the drivers are installed, activation takes less than 1 min.

Mr_Smartepants wrote a script to make XP a preactivated copy (Like an OEM restore CD). I don't remember where he put it. MSFN.org i think... Ill ask him to chime in here tongue. My guess is it only works for Installs and not for images though.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

OverFlow wrote:

Mr_Smartepants wrote a script to make XP a preactivated copy (Like an OEM restore CD).

Yup.  It's linked in my signature.  Though to be honest I've never tried it in a sysprep environment.  As long as it's called before/during the mini-setup it should be fine.
Please report any problems in the thread over at siginet's forums.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

I will post the pack and sysprep file on when I get back from holiday vacation. If you are repairing only oem brands than there is no reason not to use pre-activation. You don't have to worry about entering keys from coa stickers and your image will stay intact indefinitely( ie no expiration after 30 days).

As for my image process, I use Vmware workstation for the building of my images. I create a virtual machine, install xp, do all the updates, remove all the leftover crap from the updates, install the software that I want ( openoffice, pdf reader, free av , etc.), install my tweaks, copy sysprep folder and driverpack folder over and then run the sysprep process. Once it shuts down, I run Bart PE and choose offlinesysprep, hal detection at first boot. Then I create a disk image with ghost. I then repeat this process for XP home and XP media center.

For oemscan, I've seen it but never used it. I use another one called Oembios changer. Its more manual and I only really use it after I have a good dell image.( I clone the vm, change it from dell to another oem and then capture the image).I hope to eventually work on a automatic solution, but I may just not bother with it as windows 7 becomes more widely used.

bigfoot wrote:

I will post the pack and sysprep file on when I get back from holiday vacation. If you are repairing only oem brands than there is no reason not to use pre-activation. You don't have to worry about entering keys from coa stickers and your image will stay intact indefinitely( ie no expiration after 30 days).

As for my image process, I use Vmware workstation for the building of my images. I create a virtual machine, install xp, do all the updates, remove all the leftover crap from the updates, install the software that I want ( openoffice, pdf reader, free av , etc.), install my tweaks, copy sysprep folder and driverpack folder over and then run the sysprep process. Once it shuts down, I run Bart PE and choose offlinesysprep, hal detection at first boot. Then I create a disk image with ghost. I then repeat this process for XP home and XP media center.

For oemscan, I've seen it but never used it. I use another one called Oembios changer. Its more manual and I only really use it after I have a good dell image.( I clone the vm, change it from dell to another oem and then capture the image).I hope to eventually work on a automatic solution, but I may just not bother with it as windows 7 becomes more widely used.

thank you. bigfoot. please post the guide when you back from vacation.
thank you very much.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ep33ppd6z … storage.7z
Here is the stripped down version of the mass storage pack that I use with sysprep. Make sure that you put the M folder in C:\D otherwise it wont find the driver files. I have included my sysprep.inf so you can just copy and past it into yours.

bigfoot wrote:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ep33ppd6z … storage.7z
Here is the stripped down version of the mass storage pack that I use with sysprep. Make sure that you put the M folder in C:\D otherwise it wont find the driver files. I have included my sysprep.inf so you can just copy and past it into yours.

bigfoot. thank you. it works :"D
When resealing the windows, it keeps pop up a hardware installation question to click "continue anyway" or "stop installation'
I have to click "continue anyway" many times.
i already added :
    DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
    NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
in sysprep.inf files. do you know how to make it not poping up the annoying question when i syspreping it???

That happens because it installs a driver and then tries to install a driver that is newer. You would have to remove the either the old or newer driver. I just end up clicking continue anyway.

bigfoot wrote:

That happens because it installs a driver and then tries to install a driver that is newer. You would have to remove the either the old or newer driver. I just end up clicking continue anyway.

bigfoot. thank you very much.
everything is working properly in XP.
I tried single and dual cores. Hal switching is good.
thank you again