Topic: DriverPack Downloading and Updating

I thought I would make a post about this since searching has turned up relatively little. I downloaded the most resent DriverPacks Base; while the Update Checker section works (shows the latest driver packs and allows you to download them), it doesn't specify that the driver packs listed are XP only. In fact, the only place it's clear that the Driverpack Base is for XP only is on the first page, in the middle of a bunch of other packs.

It might seem obvious to someone that works with it constantly, but as someone who randomly downloaded it, it was a bit confusing.

I might suggest possibly changing "Start" on the start section to something like "DriverPacks XP Base" in bold red, if not renaming it to "DriverPacks XP Base" to prevent confusion about Vista and 7 compatibility.

Re: DriverPack Downloading and Updating

Well currently, DriverPacks BASE is ONLY for NT5 (XP, 2000, 2003).  There is no DriverPacks BASE for NT6 (Vista/Win7)...yet.  We are planning to build DriverPacks BASE for Win7 (Vista if we get around to it).

But you're right, we need to highlight the fact that the current DriverPacks BASE is for NT5 only.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

I'm not able to do anything about the site - I asked Wim to make a note of it there on or around the download pages.

I will update the Update checker page to say UpdateChecker for NT5 packs, just for totaly oblivious people...
beyond that if you can't RTFM and the clear and consise text in the GUI then don't bother to whine to us about it.

The start page of DriverPacks BASE does clearly state...

Supported destination OS platforms:
• wnt5_x86-32 (Windows 2000, XP, Server 2003)

If you don't RTFM or bother to read the clear and concise info on the first presented main application page then please don't blame us.

DriverPacks BASE supports 2000, XP and 2003 server so...

it would be extremely ridiculous to name it DriverPacks XP BASE.
If we were to name it DriverPacks NT5 BASE people like you would still not know what it was for. Please read the documentation, that is why it's there. If you don't (or won't) bother to read what we have already taken the time to write then don't expect us to change anything. What good would that do, you wouldn't read that either. wink 

OR If you did not bother to read it where it is now why would you have us belive moving it around would make a difference? It is right on the opening page of DriverPacks BASE.

furthermore if you select a valid OS for the disc platform the titlebar of DriverPacks BASE indicates wnt5_x86-32... that seems pretty darned clear. Same for the Stand Alone drivers platform. Since BartPE only supports XP and 2k3 that eliminates any confusion there. No... clearly you just ignored all the indicators.

We led you to the water... we can't make you drink, even if we color it red wink

If you think this is harsh then I will suggest that you have not read our rules and posting guidlines either.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

I have read the rules and guidelines, and I still think your post is harsh. I am providing reasonable feedback. You may take my feedback and improve the software you enjoy working on, or you may disregard it completely. It doesn't bother me either way.

Just to reiterate:
Download page for DriverPacks Base (and page for Applications) does not specify that it's for 200/XP/2003 only
Main page of DriverPacks Base lists the supported operating systems, but it doesn't stand out (suggest changing text color to red)

Even if you could put some text on the application or download page that says something like "This is for Windows 2000, XP, and 2003 ONLY! Please visit the forums if you are using Vista or Windows 7" I think that would make it a lot clearer.

I would also suggest putting something on the Driverpack list that says something like "Using 2000/XP/2003? Click Here to download DriverPacks Base, which can download all driver packs automatically."

I have bolded it in the app and noted it in the app download page. Your feedback was acted upon, at least in BASE (Which I have the ability to change). Do you have the latest version?

I don't have access to the website to make changes there, but I have brought it to Wims attention.
On the website it is very clear which packs are for NT5.
Agreed... there is no indication that BASE will NOT do NT6 OS's until after it is downloaded.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

What is the best way to make sure your Windows 7 (NT6) drivers Packs are current? We use the SAD disk and use it with WDS but it has been hard to keep up with what version we are using / which ones need to be udpated. Would love a simple "base" that would at least help us keep the downloaded version current.

For now, periodically check the website for changed DriverPacks.  I for one do not have any new vista/win7 packs in build stages.  So nothing from me for this month.  Maybe next month.

Once we get a torrent tracker online and updated, that will be the best way.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!