Topic: Dell GX620 freezes at loading screen, related to DP and tcpip.sys

Hello,

We are having a problem with our Unattended XP installation DVD. We are currently updating our unattended to include all the Microsoft updates (we use RyanVM with an all-in-one update pack) and we figured we ought to update the driver packs also.

We got everything working fine on the DVD in a virtual machine environment and we decided to test it out on some of our computers. We have two computers that we are testing our new unattended and they are the Dell Optiplex GX620 and the Dell Optiplex 960.

The GX620 is a Pentium D / ICH7 and the Optiplex 960 is a Core 2 Duo.

We used the most updated driver packs for this DVD and here is our problem:

The Dell GX620 goes through the installation just fine, except for when it first tries to boot to login for the first time. It gets stuck on the blue bar. I narrowed it down to a good amount of boot-start / system-start drivers not starting up including afd.sys, tcpip.sys, netbt.sys, ipsec.sys, etc.

The GX620 can only boot while in safe mode, but as soon as you try to use anything that requires networking (Safe Mode with Networking and Normal Boot), Windows fails to boot.

The Optiplex 960 does not experience these problems.

Also, when the GX620 booted in safe mode, it installed the drivers via driverpacks finisher. I noticed some differences between our year-old unattended and the new unattended in the chipset driver names.

The newer driver packs install the chipset and mass storage controllers as N10 / ICH7 whereas the older unattended basically just had ICH7 without the N10.

We narrowed it down to driverpacks being the problem, we created DVDs without the update packs and DP and it still failed and then we tried the update packs without DP and it didn't fail.

Anybody have an idea what's causing tcpip.sys, afd.sys, netbt, ipsec to fail?

If you guys need more information, please let me know.

Thanks,
Zach

Re: Dell GX620 freezes at loading screen, related to DP and tcpip.sys

Welcome to DriverPacks!
Could you upload (or post) your DPsFnshr.log as well as the setupapi.log from the failed system?
That will get us started.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

Sure thing. I will upload those tomorrow when I get into work. I'll also export the event log entries.

The log files are a bit too big for this post so I uploaded them to pastebin:

Setupapi.log
DPsFnshr.log
Event Log Entries

More information:

I think that the problem occurs at the T-12 stage. Since after setup, the computer freezes during the booting prior to the first user login... However, driver packs finisher did run in safe mode, so I bet it would be wise for me to do redo the install and not run driver packs finisher at first login.

first off you are under a false impression. DriverPacks Finisher does not install drivers... it installs non driver related software like the ATI control panel or Nvida control panel, sound cards often have mixers and things of that nature that are installed via Setup.exe files. the finisher calls setup programs that are sometimes required but are not related to the driver installations. Again the finisher does not install drivers AT ALL. it simply "finishes" the installs (call a setup.exe or *.msi if required - and very few drivers require it.) and removes the DriverPacks. As the name implies "finishing" the install... otherwise we would have named it the DriverPacks installer big_smile.

second. I will assume you are using LAN 10.04.1 (you did not state which version of LAN, or any of the other packs that you used. ['the latest' is not helpful since we update packs every day IE latest official release, latest nightly, latest Release Candidate, latest Beta... latest what??? (Vague and over broad)] - Either provide your DPs_BASE.log (which lists them) or specifically state the name and version(s). Leaving it to us to Guess / assume does not help you, nor does it help us to help you wink.

LAN 10.04.1 supports PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1677 =  Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller 
In folder \D\L\B1\ with an INF of b57win32.inf  DriverVer   = 07/31/2009,12.2.2.0

There are no DriverPacks Finisher calls for [B1] in the DriverPack_LAN_wnt5_x86-32.ini. So removing the DriverPacks Finisher call from your install will make no difference to your results. (except the DriverPacks and releated files will not be removed)

Since this is a Dell it is possible that that specific driver (Broadcom Reference driver) is not compatible with the Dell NIC.
We often find that Dell will modify their chips in such a way that they will not work with a reference driver. Of course this is a license violation by dell (OEM chips MUST be able to work with the Chipset manufacturers reference driver to maintain their (Dell's) license to re-manufacture) But who is going to sue Dell smile.

- Have you verified the MD5 checksums / file sizes of your downloads? (Un7zip will NOT report an error on a corrupt file)

Just to be sure this is the issue try a reinstall without the DriverPack LAN included. does the issue disappear?

If so:

1) Please download the driver from Dell and test it... if that works please link us to the known working driver. We will attempt to add the dell driver to a nightly pack, and offer it to you for testing.

2) It is also possible that an older version worked. We updated the broadcom driver in 10.02 so LAN 8.12.1 may work. (Since it contains a different / older driver.  DriverVer   = 06/19/2008,10.85.0.0) http://driverpacks.net/driverpacks/wind … lan/8.12.1

If not: Can you tell us which pack it is? (process of elimination)

Thanks for your feedback and we look forward to helping you.

Welcome to DriverPacks,
Have an awesome day!

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Hi,

First off, let me thank you for correcting my misunderstanding of how driver packs worked. I really appreciate it.

Secondly, we are using 10.03 for the LAN drivers. In our older unattended with a working driver packs we were using 8.12.1.

Third, I want to believe that it is not the LAN drivers, since we disabled the integrated NIC on the machine prior to installing to test if it was indeed the network card, but the system still froze. Disabling the integrated nic makes it not show up as a device until it's re-enabled, in which 'Found new Hardware wizard' would pop up.

Fourth, Does Driver Packs in any way modify the system drivers like tcpip.sys, ipsec.sys, afd.sys, etc? Because these are the problem drivers. The versions are different on the GX620 in question.

Here are the driver packs used on the broken GX620 and Optiplex 960:

CPU: 9.12
Chipset: 10.02
Graphics A: 10.03
Graphics B: 10.03
Graphics C: 9.12
Lan: 10.3
Mass Stroage: 9.01
Sound A: 10.3
Sound B: 10.3
WLAN: 10.03

Here are the older driver packs used in the year old unattended:

CPU: 8.04
Chipset: 9.02
Graphics A: 8.12.1
Graphics B: 8.12.1
Graphics C: 8.12.1
Lan: 8.12.1
Mass Stroage: 9.01
Sound A: 8.05
Sound B: 8.05
WLAN: 8.06

Now when looking at the problem drivers in question from the event log (afd.sys, ipsec.sys, tcpip.sys, etc), here are the following versions:

Dell GX620 with driverpacks - 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2113)
Dell GX620 with no driver packs - 5.1.2600.5877 (xpsp_sp3_qfe.090916-1338)
Dell Optiplex 960 with driverpacks - 5.1.2600.5877 (xpsp_sp3_qfe.090916-1338)

It is strange that the version of the tcpip.sys, afd.sys, ipsec.sys, etc are out dated in the GX620 that's broken, but the same unattended with driver packs dvd is used on the Optiplex 960 and the versions are correct.

I looked in the setupapi.log and the DPsFnshr.log for tcpip.sys, etc and nothing appeared..

Let me know what you think, I'll be also doing what you suggested, but I wanted to let you know that the NIC was disabled prior to installing the unattended just to test if it was indeed the NIC drivers, but the things that are failing are the afd.sys, ipsec.sys, tcpip.sys, netbt.sys, etc.

Thank You,
Zach

To the best of my knowlege those files are not modified by the DriverPacks.

But just because I am not aware of something does not indicate that it is either true or false. I learn new stuff everyday wink
Your results would lend both of us to belive they are being replaced by one of the driver installs, you are in a better position to narrow it down to a single pack / driver. If you tell me which pack i can use the HWID to figure out which driver. If i know which driver i can carefully read the drivers INF file and see if I can figure out what is being done by that driver as it is installed. I would prefere not to have to look every one of them up and read them all sad.

PS You told a fib... you are not using the latest (official release) packs big_smile tongue wink
http://driverpacks.net/driverpacks/windows/xp/x86
10.04.x are out for LAN and Graphics A and B. See how that can be confusing big_smile

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Indeed, I was not using the latest driver packs, however I want to say that it might be the chipset drivers causing an issue (the GX620 has oddly named drivers compared to everything else..) which hasn't been updated since Feb (I presume).

I have a few questions before I embark on this quest to figure out what's going on:

1) Are there any log files that I should also look at for information regarding driver changes / installs?
2) Is there a tool for finding / listing out HWIDs?

I'm also going to verify that those versions of the files are causing the problem. Also, my coworker pointed out that Windows File Protection should be off, I'm going to make sure that it is indeed turned off via nLite the next build that I do of the unattended... just to make sure (but once again, I used the same dvd to install on the optiplex 960 and that did not have any issues.. Also the nLite configuration in the DVD shows that the DoSFC is in the nLite configuration file.)

I'm going to try and track this down, as it's really disturbing that a specific model is having these problems with DriverPacks..

the change logs are on the download pages for each pack
Setup*.log files tell the tale for installs the most useful of which is the setupapi.log.

I searched the entire pack set for 'tcpip' 
I searched as a file name and no tcpip.* files exist...
and searched the contents of the *.inf files and found no references to 'tcpip.'

the HWIDs tool to dump the HWIDs is linked in my signature

Please make sure that DriverPacks is the LAST step in your process
(no changes after DriverPacks are allowed ESPECIALLY not with nLite)

Do not add or remove any drivers with nLite if you are using DriverPacks.

Can you tell me what your process is step by step in outline?
IE Source XP Pro Vol Lic SP1, RVMI to add SP3 and OnePiece's updates, nLite for automation only, then DriverPacks for drivers, create ISO with nLite...

Hi all,

I registered today to let you know that I also had this problem with my Acer Aspire 5570z
when using Chipset pack "DP_Chipset_wnt5_x86-32_1002.7z"

After a few days of failed installs, I found that removing the extra blank line in the ich78id2.inf file
(in the I1 folder) allowed the installation to complete successfully.

(partial copy and paste:)
Before:
<<
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2828.DeviceDesc%=intelide_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2828   
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2850.DeviceDesc%=intelide_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2850   

[INTEL_HDC.NTamd64]
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C0.DeviceDesc%=intelide_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C0
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C4.DeviceDesc%=intelide_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C4
>>

After:
<<
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2828.DeviceDesc%=intelide_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2828   
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2850.DeviceDesc%=intelide_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2850   

[INTEL_HDC.NTamd64]
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C0.DeviceDesc%=intelide_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C0
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C4.DeviceDesc%=intelide_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C4
>>

This extra carriage return/blank line appears in the "ich78id2.inf" file,
NOT the similarly named "ich78ide.inf" file.

Thank you DriverPacks, for providing this excellent resource, I can't count how many hours
you've saved me when it comes to re-installations; keep up the great work guys/gals!

The only difference between ich78id2.inf and ich78ide.inf (other than the extra space) is that ich78id2.inf is supposed to be for Windows 2000 and ich78ide.inf is for XP.
Unfortunately, there is no real difference in the content of either .inf.  They have some renamed headers, but the content is identical.
Removing the extra space would only break signing and force the system to use (rightly) the ich78ide.inf for XP.

The XP .inf does not follow M$ standard conventions for XP-specific entries (IE. .ntx86) and is poorly written.

Oops, didn't consider signing - thank you for the explanation and the link!

There might be an update from Intel soon on this, so wait and see.

Hi, just registered because I've run into the exact issue with GX620 as mentioned by OP. I also used RyanVM All-In-One update packs in my install disk.

Does it seem likely that an older DP for chipset would fix the problem? I've seen another thread in this forum about a very similar issue, mentioning specifically the GX520 but also a mention of the GX620.

Welcome to DriverPacks slckmstr!
Which version of DriverPack Chipset did you use that had the problem?

OK, I modified the ich78id2.inf like techisgood148 reported and I'll upload as 10051 final.

Any report on this fixing the problem? I hope to build a new disc and give it a go later in the week, I'll report back.

slckmstr wrote:

Any report on this fixing the problem? I hope to build a new disc and give it a go later in the week, I'll report back.

Well yeah.
This should already be fixed in 10.05.2.  Please let us know if it is not.

Dont think its fixed
I have just tried the latest driverpacks on a Dell gx620 and it freezes the machine at attempted install of ich78id2.inf and subsequent corrupt/unbootable HAL.
I got round this by removing the ich78id2.inf/cat files which are in both DP_Chipset and DP_MassStorage zips. All subsequently installed smoothly.
(the altest ich78ids.inf didnt have the extra line return as suggested above as problem...

(excuse spelling last line - I meant "the latest ich78id2.inf", of course

You know you can edit your post clicking on the link titled the same...
Keeps confusion down to a minimum and the board SF will automatically add time and date of edit.
Just so you know wink

Sorry to *bump* an old-ish post but may I just ask if this issue with GX620s Locking up on bootup is fixed with the latest Mass Storage and Chipset Driverpacks releases (11.06)?

The last install DVD I created using versions 11.04 of these 2 Driverpacks still freezes on GX620s.  I tried updated the BIOSes to the latest A11 but that didn't help unfortunately.

Bl00dy GX620s are even wierd PCs on Dell's terms.

You could try it and report back.  It should have been fixed in 11.05.2 (& 11.06).  I'm working on 11.07 right now, so please tell us if 11.06 still doesn't work.
For the record, this is the only difference:
ich78id2.inf uses intelide.sys (original XP system file)
ich78ide.inf uses pciide.sys (original XP system file)

I certainly will give it a try then mr_smartepants, thanks for getting to me so quickly! wink

For information, was having a similar issue with the intel drivers and sysprep images on a GX620.

deleting the "ich78id2.inf" and "ich78id2.cat" from the drivers folder before sysprep'ing the machine fixes the problem

if you have this problem and have already imaged it, boot to safe mode and delete these files from your drivers folder, 'uninstall' the ide controller, and re detect / manually install the driver from the "ich78ide.inf" file.

my 2p, hope that helps someone
Rae