Topic: Pre setup cmd file not found

Hi
I have tried to follow some of the posts on how to use this but going round in circles. I would appreciate a bit of help without sarcasm, some people understand this software & can explain better than others. We all have to start somewhere :-)

I thought I done ok until I came to install xp everything went ok until it came to setup (after boot) I got

PRE Setup cmd file not found does not exist in I386 folder & txt setup sif in I386

I installed drivers with DP Base AFTER I removed some things I will never use like Briefcase Internet games Languages & keyboard settings (keeping English) I did not remove any xp drivers a few posts say not to so stuck with the rules

I have a couple of files in my XP slipstreamed folder which Im not too sure about

Last Session
Last Session u
OEM

Do I need to alter these or move them to I386

Regards
Pete

Re: Pre setup cmd file not found

Please update your post with the info listed in "read before you post" (rule #0) linked in my signature.

Tutorial linked in my signature.

Failure to include DPs_BASE.log automaticaly means you will recieve no support.
If you want no sarcasm, then read the rules that you had to agree to sign up.
please note rule #0. Always include your log, and DriverPacks BASE version in your title! Not done...

also from official Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines.

Although quite easy to use, the DriverPacks and the accompanying software form a toolset that is designed for use by advanced level users. 
If you have not used the search feature of this forum, or Google. AKA, STFW
If you do not include basic details (See rule #0)
If you have not read the FAQ's or documentation BartPE Tutorial   DP_Base Tutorial
If you did not include your HWID's or DPs_BASE.log in your post

If you create a post that says "I am looking for a driver for..."
   (Especially if you have not used the DriverPacks at all.)

Then it's obvious that you failed to read this post and your welcome here may not be as warm and fuzzy as you might like. 
    The above mistakes are considered Noob like behaviors...
    We are not and have never been a noob friendly site.
    - Note to Newbies:
        The label Noob is not assigned based on a perceived level of experience,
        but rather for showing a lack of resourcefulness, (Did you try to help yourself?)
        or failing to demonstrate some effort was made to help us to help you. (omission of key details)
    You are expected to already be familiar with everything in this guide.
    http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/
    If you ask a question that is covered in that manual then you will receive a demerit. 

If you will expect us to take our personal time to support you, then we can likewise expect:
a) You will take a minute to include good details in your post.
b) You will have already read our documentation and tutorials.

If one of the team seems to have been short with you...
Perhaps you should make sure you have been respectful / appreciative.
We are working for free.

If you want help with the basics go to http://www.msfn.org/board/ they will hold your hand, we won't.

If you fail to read the tutorials and follow read before you post you get sarcasm or worse.

Sarcasm is not used based on a perceived level of experience, but rather for showing a lack of resourcefulness, (Did you try to help yourself?) or failing to demonstrate some effort was made to help us to help you. (omission of key details like your DPs_BASE.log)

While I agree with you that everyone must start somewhere, not everyone is lazy.
As stated in the rules MSFN is where you start.

You are expected to already be familiar with everything in this guide.
    http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/

No sarcasim was used in this post at your request big_smile.

PS Nobody could possably help you with only the meager details you have provided in your first post.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Who do you think you are Mother Superior or something? You need to learn to talk & treat People better. Courtisy is a TWO way street try and remember that!

Have you never had problems which you have tried to sort then ask someone for help? I wonder if you would have the same attitude face to face

You think your a cut above the rest with attitude!

Go ahead do your best I could not give a toss if you ban me

I would gladly make a donation but you sure know the ways to get a persons back up

still no log? You are quite dense

you need to learn to read.

My name and address are plastered everywhere, come on over...
If you bring your PC with you I'll fix that too, my rate is $165 per hour

Um no i never have had to ask for help, when i started in 1968 there was no one to ask. smile
When i worked for the phone company and we rolled out the first installs of DSL in the world not even Cisco had the answers. They said "hey when you figure it out please let us know" And I just had to figure it out myself. I have always been the one that people came to when NOBODY else could find the answers. So no, I have no sympathy for you.

Conversely everything you need is well documented.... In multiple places, all you have to do is look / read.
you obviously just want free help, and are totaly unwilling to do anything to help yourself. Including read.
We don't hold peoples hands at DriverPacks.net

Either provide the info listed in Read BEFORE you post or recieve no help, it is up to you... I'm not going to ban you.
In fact I went out of my way to help you... I even showed you where to find your answers, in spite of you not following the rules or reading the documentation.

Throw another temper tantrum if you like!

An intelligent person would simply provide the missing details and read the linked to info... (Kinda missed the main idea, didn't ya?)

PS you're right courtesy is a two way street and you neither said please or thank you...
nor did you show us any courtesy, IE you did not try to help yourself and prevent the waste of our time.
nor did you say anything nice about us or our FREE project at all
I showed you way more courtesy than you showed us... which was none. (post your log dude!)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Hi Jeff

The reason why it showed SP3 was because my XP CD has SP2

Following your reply I had no problems with a much quicker install on VMware (weather or not the drivers would install on a live PC remains to be seen)

The problem I now have is that there is no repair option & the install is different I cant find the winnt.sif to edit (some posts refer to this) & mention unattended setup

You are right about the wealth of info on here but its overwhelming

Would this be workable, NLite to thin XP cd down & to set up user options Then iterigate SP3 & update using RVM (not sure what to do with dotnet1.1 sp1? >run DP Base disk > select what I need with driver packs >M2 (or M1 this may be where im going wrong) >RUNGUIonce >disable KTD enable >QSC > ATI & NVIDIA new > make .iso

Im probably not the only 1 who is struggling and would appreciate your help v much.

Thanks
Pete

Last edited by Pete (2010-03-25 01:01:37)

I added code tags for you wink - please edit your post to see how that is done. It makes the thread a lot easier to navigate. smile

I notice the folder states \XP STD SP2 but DriverPacks BASE reports XP Professional Retail with SP3 was found?

Why did you enable KTD? This is almost NEVER neccessary, was there a specific reason?

The extraction can take quite a long time depending on available RAM and the speed of your machine. IE if your VMWare shell is configured to use a small percentage of a single CPU with only 128 meg of RAM and a small swap file, then it will take seemingly forever.  It does have to extract around two gig of files from solid archives. I use VMWare 5 two CPU 512 meg of RAM and Input grabbed high and input ungrabbed normal. Extraction takes around 7 to 10 minutes. there should be a 7zip progress bar.

Did you make ANY changes after you ran DriverPacks BASE? (never do that, it may explain your initialy reported error. wink)
I notice presetup cmd is now being found, so the initial problem no longer exists?
- Presetup is responsible for extracting the archives, therefore it is no longer missing wink.
Let me know if the install failed... it seems like whatever your mistake was the first go around no longer exists.

Welcome to DriverPacks.net

Jeff

Thanks for pointing this out the reason why I did this was because I have seen other log file posts split in 2 and thought I was doing the right thing : 0

Pete wrote:

The problem I now have is that there is no repair option

It's either that OR unattended install. Don't like it? Complain to MSFT about it.
Honestly, I can't even remember when I used repair last time - and then it was just to check out what it does.
I ususally find that systems in need of repair are so much fubar that the best idea is to setup them again, clean, with all updates and drivers applied.
Works faster, too, I think, because repair is not always going ti fix things from what I've gathered so it would require some manual intervention anyway.

YMMD, of course.

Would this be workable, NLite to thin XP cd down & to set up user options Then iterigate SP3 & update using RVM (not sure what to do with dotnet1.1 sp1?

Very, VERY bad idea doing it that way around!
Honestly!
The first thing you should do if you don't already own an SP3 disc: Integrate the silly SP3 before you do anything.
Best is to use nLite for this if you are going to use it anyway.
So here goes, you start up nLite, select your source (disc in drive to have it copy over to the HDD), then select integrate SP and make ISo as the only options!
That ISO you can reuse for each iteration, so back it up somewhere on your HDD.
Now you can either mount the image using Daemon Tools etc or extract it using 7-Zip etc
Im probably not the only 1 who is struggling and would appreciate your help v much. and continue with the nLite process.
Reason for this is simple:
If you remove anything before SP3, SP3 may add it again, but incomplete, resulting in errors.
Reason #2: nLite can't set stuff for things not present.
SP3 was a major overhaul and some options may only be available if SP3 has been detected by nLite.
You could also integrate the update packs using nLite - why utilize more tools than you need to?
Keeps the error probability down, too.
I am not 100% confident, as I'm not using RVM's but Sereby's, but I think even that works with nLite, too.

Good luck!

HI Helmi
I have followed what you said & it has installed on Vm ware without problems wink As soon as I get a chance I will try it on a formatted PC. If it works the next thing I would like to have a go at is S.A.D.

Thanks Very Much