Topic: Getting started with DP and sysprep

I just found DriverPacks but have been a long time user of sysprep. I'm thrilled to find DriverPacks b/c I've always tried to accomplish much the same thing with drivers on my own through OEMPnpDriversPath but DriverPacks is far more complete than my own efforts.

Anyway, I'm hoping to build a near-universal XP image with DriverPacks and sysprep. I've been through the tutorial and searched/read through the forums (including this post: http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=1682) but there are a few things I still don't quite understand...

Would it be best to slipstream DriverPacks into an installation CD/DVD using the KTD option, then sysprep?

Or, is it better to go through the process of unpacking the DriverPacks and running sysprep with a batch file that calls DevPath.exe?

I guess what I'm asking is whether or not it is necessary to slipstream if you plan on using sysprep with UpdateInstalledDrivers and the DriverPacks'?

Also, for the SysprepMassStorage section in sysprep.inf, if I plan to manually add drivers from the MassStorage DP, do I still need to use -bmsd? If I do both, will there be duplicate entries or will it cause any problems?

Re: Getting started with DP and sysprep

Offline sysprep (OLSP) is the way to go.
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=3312

Try it, you'll be glad you did. smile

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

Thanks, I'll try it out but I don't quite see the benefit in using OLSP, other than some more options.

It seems to me that if I build XP up using a source that has had DriverPacks slipstreamed into it and with the KTD option, there is no use for the UpdateInstalledDrivers option in sysprep, regardless of whether it's run online or offline. Windows should pull drivers from the DriverPacks folders anyway, right?

Am I missing something?

you should really read the threads in this forum...
KTD is not the way to go, SAD is a much better option if you wish to go that way - against our recommendations.

While it is true you can use base to add mass storage successfully,
and KTD will do at least chipset successfully,
the rest of the drivers are/can be problematic.

OLSP is designed for SysPrep and address's certain issues that only arise in SysPrep,
DriverPacks BASE is designed to slipstream for disc installs.
DriverPacks BASE can also make a proper plugin to use with BartPE. (because a DriverPacks slipstreamed source doesn't work for PE either)
Use the correct tool for the job wink
(It is being suggested that you don't use pliers to replace a light bulb.
We can't / won't stop you, and you may even succeed... eventually wink)

RIS, Disk, and SysPrep are much more different than MS will readily admit tongue.

the threads in this forum are the cumulative knowledge of five years of experience...
Just about anything you can think of to ask us... has already been answered, multiple times.
Read the stickies and recently updated threads, as per our rules and posting guidelines failure to search will earn you a demerit wink tongue big_smile.

read then ask. (Yes you are missing a lot)
- You're not wrong, it's just that "Theory is different than application" wink.

We are offering you the opportunity to not repeat the mistakes already made by many others big_smile!

PS No you dont have to bsmd with a DriverPacks slipstreamed source... but... were you listening? Clean source + OLSP
PSS OLSP uses our DriverPack MassStorage, more specifically it uses the output of my DriverPack MassStorage BartPE plugin.
- Dont fix your watch with a hammer.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Thanks OverFlow,

I actually spent a/b 2 days searching/reading the forum and ended up more confused.

I have no real intent to NOT follow recommendations and you've helped me a great deal with my initial confusion (the tutorial could use a few additional notes :-)

Thanks again, I think I have a little playing around to do.