Topic: Question about M1 4096 path limit

Hi folks,

I am doing a XP Slipstreamed CD, however, I want to integrate ONLY Mass Storage Driverpacks with Text-Mode included - so that I can say bye bye to floppy in Windows installs. I have learnet that M1 will make drivers available very early for Windows setup, but there is a 4096 limit path with M1 method.

The question is, by selecting only Mass Storage + Text Mode Mass Storage, will that limit exceed - or is it by far no where near it? If it is by far no where near it, could I integrate also LAN drivers, CPU drivers and Chipset drivers and still not come across that 4096 limit path, using M1 method?

Please advise on the situation.

This is going to be a CD.

I will also make a DVD with all driverpacks but with M2 method.

You never know what machine you will come across, right?

Thanks for any answer!

Re: Question about M1 4096 path limit

ANSWERING THE QUESTION MYSELF:
Just in case you might also wonder, if you do the Slipstream like I did, there will be a line in log file:

2009-11-03 11:20:27 : <SLIP> Created OemPnpDriversPath entry. The length is 2395, which does not exceed the 4096 characters limit.

That answers that I achieved what I wanted.

We try to make things as easy as possible...

Glad to hear that we succeeded

M1 is considered depreciated and was replaced with M2. (because the limit is much higher)
M1 does still work wink

Welcome to DriverPacks and have a great day!

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Thank you.
Nice job of yours doing the DVP.
Keep the GOOD work.

I chose M1 for the CD install because I assumed if M2 was used, some of the drivers couldn't be seen in some "rare" cases...(as I read) and SATA support is vital nowadays to run a XP installation, so M1 gives the option of all possible drivers available to be loaded. (right?)

Last edited by djzn (2009-11-04 08:43:13)

So does M2 wink

The main difference is M2 doesn't create a Searchable disk, in case you wanted to drop the cd in a pc and only update a single driver from device manager useing the new hardware wizard manually and could then select search removable media

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.