Topic: Building computer for first time

Hey folks,

I'm thinking about jumping into the do-it-yourself computer-building club. I've never done it before, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a solid guide on the subject. I could probably figure a fair amount of it out, but certain things like the gluing of this to that when it's expensive electronics freaks me out a bit. How much glue, what kind of glue? Etc.

I'm going to stick to "basics" and go with an XP32 system since that is what my current hardware and software support, and I want to keep things "simple" and maybe upgrade in a couple years for a 2-machine setup with a 64-bit system when the edges get sorted out a bit in the 64-bit world.

Any advice appreciated.

Re: Building computer for first time

When "PC Magazine" and Computer Shopper" came as printed magazines they periodically had instructions on "How To Build Your Own" - I'll bet a search of their web sites would result in a listing of those articles. Google too.

The only pre-built system I bought was a Tandy 1000TL2 back in 1986 - since then it's been buy all the parts and build my own. I have no idea as to the glue you asking about. Further explanation is required.

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/ajoHKH618C_cS2O6V00_aY3Cse0ggjzP4uxI8Hk5viw/perpetual:forever/userbar/donator-3.png

LOL my daughter bult her first pc out of my scrap parts when she was nine wink.

it is nothing to be intimidated by...
It is pretty straight forward stuff
Most MB manuals have good instructions wink
(check out some MB manuals online, perhaps one you are thinking of buying)

I recomend NewEgg.com for parts - good place to do business.

I like GigaByte MotherBoards best, followed closely by Asus and DFI. They are all three well made and well supported.

Never use the power supply that comes with a cheap (<$75) cabinet. Get a good PS like an Antec TruePower or equivilent 100% duty rating.

do your homework make sure your processor and RAM are compatable with your MB.
(read the online MB manual before you buy the ram and processor for it)

Have fun!

The odds you will melt the whole thing into an expensive blob of goo is quite low tongue

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

As for gluing: WTF?

The last time I had to glue something was when building WWII model airplanes wink

When dealing with electronics, you are mostly soldering stuff - HOWEVER, this should never be needed when doing computers (unless they are completely broken AND you know what you are doing!).
PC parts are just inserted together, then fixed with a couple of screws.

Even with thermal paste (there may be some glue around but I wouldn't recommend that) - most boxed CPU coolers that come along with the CPU have a thermal pad that requires no further user interaction.
The paste itself only needs to be placed on the die in a pea-sized ball - it will automatically be squeezed by the pressure of the heat sink and "flow" into position when heated by CPU usage.

Only thing you need to watch is to properly ground yourself before touching anything metal, to disconnect the PC from the wall outlet (pull the plug, not just flip the switch!) and to never force party into position.
Oh, and a properly fitting screw driver helps a lot! Plus doesn't always equal plus, there's different sizes and shapes (Phillips screws, for instance).
Don't over-tighten it and make sure to fixate any loose cables.

That's basically about it.

OverFlow wrote:

LOL my daughter bult her first pc out of my scrap parts when she was nine wink.

wow she's really good!

anyway google is your friend. basically, you may also want to consider your budget in buying your first do it yourself PC, second thing you have to be knowledgeable in assembling, and where will you going to use it?

please answer those so that we can help you.

DVD+RW for my favorite musics and movies

I think you could find every thing written on your mother board . you just have to connect the relevant cables on mother board. that's it.

SPAM links removed by moderator