Topic: Sysprep XP SP3 and Activation Problems

I have a sysprepped image of the retail version of XP PRO with SP3 and IE8.

I made this image on June 21 2009.

The image has been deployed on over 160 computers since June 21 but just yesterday I started getting the "This copy of Windows did not pass genuine Windows Validation and you have not yet resolved the problem....

http://picasaweb.google.com/pwagner9999 … 4634474386

Up until yesterday no problem; today I had three out of 25 computers get that message.

I have to put in the key code and validate before I can get to the desktop.

The other computers all get to the desktop and have the expected 30 day grace period.

Does anyone know the cause of this and how to resolve?

Thanks

Re: Sysprep XP SP3 and Activation Problems

You can only activate a "Retail" copy once with any given key.
That's your problem.
If these are OEM machines (COA sticker on outside), then use my OEMSCAN addon to validate using SLP key method.

And this has nothing to do with DriverPacks.
...case closed...

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

mr_smartepants. I appreciate very much, that you made that OEMSCAN addon, but unfortunately there are such oembios-es with which the addon wont work. Yeah...maybe i am unable to find the right oembios files. www.oembios.net doesnt give the right files for every available machine. IE Compal and none of my local manufacturers. Of course you cant know them all. So...guess there´s nothing to do...unless there are registry codes available and the files.

the thing to do is buy a corporate licence and Disc wink

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

In your situation, a volume license may actually be better.  Expensive, but easier.
But if you're willing to do the research, the OEM SLP method would be the cheapest method if you're installing the OS that's listed on the COA sticker on each machine.  Perfectly legal and it's M$ preferred method.

Actually, thinking about it, you may not be able to purchase an XP volume license because M$ dropped it from active support.  If you're lucky, you may still be able to purchase a TechNet subscription to include XP.  But you might have better luck migrating your fleet to Win7 since it's so awesome.

Since this is an activation problem, not related to either DriverPacks or universal imaging, I'm moving the thread to 'Other'.

I thought it was related to universal imaging and sysprep. A universal image is what I'm trying to achieve. The driver packs I get from here play a MAJOR part in the success of my job.

I work for a nonprofit org where I install XP PRO on refurbished computers that are sent to  non profits or schools in other countries.

I use MAR Licenses (retail installation media)  because we are a Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher. We pay 5 dollars for an XP license.

MS won't give me a VLK; or my boss won't buy one. The version of MS Office 2003 we use however doesn't need any activation after its been activated on the master sysprepped image. Last year I had to enter keys

Luckily I have "volunteers" who enter the key codes for XP.

OK, I understand your position, but try to understand ours.
Your problem is neither DriverPacks related nor is it a problem when using DriverPacks with universal imaging.  That's why I moved the topic to "Other".
Your problem is product activation...period.

First, you need to determine what media type & key you're trying to install.
Link #1
Link #2
Link #3
The product ID can be found in your installation source CD in \i386\setupp.ini

If in fact you are installing a Retail version of XP, then each machine will have a unique activation key and must be activated over the internet or phone.
A VLK (Volume License Key) version of XP uses a single key to unlock a fixed number of machines (10, 100, 1000+) and the machines require no online activation.
OEM SLP (System Locked Preactivation) versions of XP use several key files to lock a copy of XP to a specific manufacturer (HP, Dell, etc.) and these machines are preactivated during XP setup and require no online activation.
All versions require validation to access MU/WU and it is this WGA validation process that you are failing which means that somewhere along the line you are not following the rules regarding activation/licensing.
The MAR program is actually a great benefit to the community and at a great price point.  It's a blend of Retail/system builder OEM license/media.  I'd be interested in seeing what they include in the OPK (OEM Preactivation Kit).

So once you determine what type of XP you are installing, then we can help you with your activation/validation issues.
Just so we're clear, we WILL NOT help you engage in piracy or other illegal acts.

mr_smartepants wrote:

In your situation, a volume license may actually be better.  Expensive, but easier.
But if you're willing to do the research, the OEM SLP method would be the cheapest method if you're installing the OS that's listed on the COA sticker on each machine.  Perfectly legal and it's M$ preferred method.

Actually, thinking about it, you may not be able to purchase an XP volume license because M$ dropped it from active support.  If you're lucky, you may still be able to purchase a TechNet subscription to include XP.  But you might have better luck migrating your fleet to Win7 since it's so awesome.

Yes, the problem is that i have no use for volume licence. I want to do such install source (IE RIS) with which i am able to install OEM licence XP on every single machine with its respective COA code pre-activated. So...thats a demand that is hard to fulfill, i guess.

Last edited by kaitsevaim (2009-07-28 00:43:24)

Actually, that is very easy to fulfill.
For RIS, all you need is your own DNS server, a separate RIS server, and RogueSpear's AutoImage (no longer in development, but still available for now).
My multi-OEM OEMSCAN addon was developed exactly to meet your requirements.  And it doesn't require the COA keys (because they're not valid OEM SLP keys anyway).  And it's 100% legal because it uses M$ own activation mechanism. smile

Happened to stumble upon this earlier post of mine here ... a year later and I have figured out why I was getting the activation error. Some of  the computers I had problems with had the wrong date and time on them.
Correcting the time and date caused XP to think that the thirty day grace period had expired keeping me from the desktop until I activated XP first.