Topic: how do you test XP install once it has been deployed using an image?

How do you know that an installation of XP is good?

I am using sysprepped images to deploy XP Pro to over 1500 computers this summer.

How do you test the master computer before running sysprep and making the master image?

How do you test a computer that has then been deployed using that image?

I have a checklist (just shortcuts to remind me) on the desktop of the deployed computers that manually runs through some steps like defragmenting and opening Windows Media Player; creating a Word doc, running activation etc.

All the computers I'm imaging must be activated. They are using retail version of XP Pro and Office 2003 Standard.

I've used sysprepped images to deploy XP for more than a few hundred computers over the last two years yet I still have incidents where the deployed image looks good and activates but then someone will discover a quirk; the most recent one was that the icons in System Tools on the Start menu are all corrupt and don't work.

When this happens the image gets deleted and I'll rebuild the image from square one.

The other thing that makes me want to improve the way I test is I had an image recently that for some reason the activation timer was not reset.

Everything looked good and then I notice that the thirty day countdown to activate on the deployed systems were counting down from the time left on the Master image.

So basically I'd like to hear what others do to ensure they have correctly deployed their systems.

Oh yeah another thing I just remembered .... the SP3 version of sysprep.exe has anyone out there had any issues using it?
I did not realize until a few weeks ago that an SP3 version even existed...

Thanks!

Re: how do you test XP install once it has been deployed using an image?

The best way to test your image is always to have a control group (or a testing team smile).
Try a limited deployment to users who are likely to find and report issues and who will not be inconvenienced.
The more EyeBalls you put on it the more likely you will avoid having something slip through...

I also did not know there was a SP3 version... (But I am also a notorious SysPrep hater)

Jeff

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Thank you for responding to my question. The tricky part is finding those with the eyeballs that know what to look for.

Since you hate sysprep what would you use to deploy 1500 computers of all types?

I tried RIS after spending months learning how to get it installed and configured in 2K3; but basically I think it SUCKS. I guess it would be  great if I had all the same computers but that ain't gonna happen.

I've also attempted WDS but for some reason following those MS guides just doesn't do it for me. I never quite get there.

So now it's Acronis TI and sysprep. AND driverpacks.net.
and thanks to the vernalex.com sysprep guide too.

anyway thanks again

I would use a combo of RIS and ghost multicast...
RogueSpears AutoImage adds DriverPacks to a RIS image...
WPI (Windows Post Installer) adds all applications.
the result of my unattended install is a "master"... therefore i could just ghost it to any similar machine smile
If nothing else it takes all the work out of updating or creating your SysPrep master smile

I dispise the mess left behind by syspreping. and it takes five times as long to maintain. and has a very high failure rate.

and unattended install will seldom if ever fail. It takes a few minutes longer... but every machine is a master. no hal issues no sid issues no issues period.

I Like the IDEA of sysprep... too bad it is such a big POS. If it worked and was maintainable (IE if it took less time to setup than to deploy the machines by hand wink) I would like it...

But i am here and willing to help all you crazy sysprepers if i can wink

help hints
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=2676
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=2755

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

I'd like to try the method you use.

How much would you charge to help me get it figured out?

Sysprep is tedious. I spent ALL Sunday making a new master so I can start deploying it today.
I'm testing it now while I write this.

It seems that the simpler I try to make this deployment system the more complicated it gets; but I have gotten it to the point where I can go from image deployment to XP desktop in under 15 minutes. That is under ideal conditions here at home with sata drives and fast computers.

What makes this even more challenging is the fact that everything I do needs to be done in Spanish as well as English. Different versions and variations for retail and oem licenses.

Still on my really want to do but don't have time list:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsSJPkAERkI

DriverPacks does not charge for the help we offer wink and we are proud of that.
We will be glad to help you through this forum at the rate of... Free!

I am however a self employed computer consultant by trade... smile
My contact info is not tough to find
E-mail under my avatar and by following the link to "my" Web Site (A client of mine).
all of my IM clients are posted in my profile too wink You are allowed to contact me if you wish wink.

I always recommend MSFN for reference material
http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/
That guide is the most complete Unattended XP guide I have seen to date.

I belive if the end result of your UXPCD is a finished product then you may not even need sysprep...
however if you were going to use sysprep you just cut your work in half at least wink

I much prefer a master per machine type. IE if i have 100 similar machines I run my UXPCD (extensively tested and known good source) to one machine test it to death Burn in over night. if all checks out reinstall the machine with the known good source and Ghost cast to the remaining 99 like kind machines... {please note that i did not use sysprep at all} Ghost casting does actually use multicasting... that means one packet feeds 99 machines. So you will not saturate your network no matter now many clients you are loading... no reason to keep the image since a newer one can be made at any time wink. if you have a one off machine NBD just make it the master for that type smile tongue
(one additional note here: RIS)

if you are a crazy sysprep guy then I belive this is your best place to start...
If you automate creating your master you save yourself every time you need to update your master.
It eliminates human error from creating / updating a master
it eliminates uninstallers and related junk.
It eliminates Registry issues (increased size, useless uninstall info, info created by you tweaking the image)
If you must SysPrep then the cleaner your starting image the better...

Just throwing in my two cents.
I have been using Virtual Box and Offlinesysprep, Makes maintaining and image so easy.
I am still perfecting my technique as i have just moved to Vbox from just doing it on a real machine but man it is slick.

Last edited by JustusIV (2009-06-26 04:07:29)

I also have been using VMs to make my master images. It is great to be able to take a snapshots as backups.
But recently I ran into a bunch of machines that did not like the vm image and when I went back to an image made on a real machine it worked again.

What guide did you follow for Offlinesysprep?