Topic: corrupt files: symc810.sys, symc8xx.sys, and viaide.sys

Hello,
        I have been getting error msgs from nLite saying these three files are corrupt: symc810.sys, symc8xx.sys, and viaide.sys. If I proceed my XP install dies with viaide.sys corrupt. Am I doing something wrong? Here is what I am doing:
1)use nLite to slipstream XP SP3 to a disk copy of my install cd (sp2)
2)use nLite to integrate hotfixes since sp3 (from Windows Updates Downloader)
3)use the latest driverpacks base to slipstream the latest driver packs
    DriverPacks: Chipset, CPU, Graphics A+B, LAN, Storage, Sound A, WLAN
    Mass Storage in text mode (so will see sata at boot)
    Slipstream Method 2 (allows more drivers though I don't know the limit on 1)
    Finisher Method: GUIRunOnce
    Disable KTD (default)
    Enable QSC (default) (this default has changed since last I did this)
    DriverPack Graphics A, DISABLE BOTH: ATI Control Panel (Control Center needs .NET)
4)use nLite to remove many components including these drivers:
        drivers: ATM 150 KB
        drivers: ISDN 5.77 MB
        drivers: Scanners 7.22 MB
4)use nLite to configure unattended install and create iso
        This is the step that produces the corrupt file errors

Can you tell what is happening to produce the errors and how I might avoid the errors?
        Thanks very much,
Jerry Gordon

Re: corrupt files: symc810.sys, symc8xx.sys, and viaide.sys

DriverPacks must be the last step in your process...

You did not follow the directions / DriverPacks tutorial.  That is what you are doing wrong... wink

PS Don't remove drivers with nLite that will also blow you up!

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Overflow,
OK, I get the idea. I shouldn't remove drivers after DriverPacks. Can I remove other types of components after DriverPacks such as IIS? Can I set the unattended configuration after DriverPacks?
Thanks very much for your prompt reply.
Jerry Gordon

Maybe I didn't get it. You said don't remove drivers with nLite. Does that mean don't remove ANY drivers with nLite?

I still would like the two clarifications I requested in my last post. Namely does DriverPacks need to be the very last thing before creating the iso or can non-driver components be removed and unattended configuration be set.

Thanks for your patience.
Jerry

No you can't DO ANYTHING after BASE.
JUST create the ISO with nLite, NOTHING else.

DriverPacks are the very last step before ISO! (hope it's clear enough now wink)

You can keep nLite open before the ISO step, use BASE on the source and then continue with image creation, though, if you please (saves you from restarting nLite).

Also, all unattended settings can be set in nLite prior to BASE - that's no problem.

Why would you want to do it afterwards anyhow?

Also, yes, DO NOT remove any drivers or driver-related components with nLite.
Why use the DriverPacks that provide universal HW support but remove stuff with nLite?
That is a contradiction.
And no, DriverPacks do not contain drivers already supplied with XP on the disc.

Why should we, normally, our users do not remove drivers wink

PS: Oh ,and be sure to read the tut before you try anything else, may save you from unpleasant surprises big_smile

Hi,

the tutorial may seem badly out of date because the newer DriverPacks BASE has more functions than what is described in there, but it has a lot of information that never got outdated.
I figure it will be revised with new screenshots, and then we will be able to build newer pages about the functionality we have not yet described in the two forms it now has.
(There is a tut in FAQ in DriverPacks fora, the more elaborate form of same tut (which is, incidentally, also result of collaboration by team members.)  is linked to in that FAQ and people's signatures. And yes, some dudes leeched to ours and used our work in their blog or site.)

When we update the screenshots, we have to apply KIS.
When I or another Main Team get a collaborator doing the write-ups for the new functions we cannot personally test/explain, we can seamlessly enhance what we have and use a few new links with information stored on a MT's private account (What we have used now proved a safe haven).

As a follow up to your very detailed story, the detail of which made my friends correctly answer you, I will add a "remark" about corrupted file error.

Let us suppose you had "file not found, or, file is corrupted" as title of this topic, and you only detail about file name and give no detail on what you did.
Had you done that, some of us would be inclined to ask more detail of you.
Some would get inclined to look at the filenames and run more tests in virtual machine.

Those that feel they have to run more tests to find the error may have been active on the developing side of this, and for "several" reasons  not been able to test ALL variations of what can be done with DriverPacks BASE and DriverPacks.
(I know what that feels like. I know this is the way to burn out.)
You see, there may be versions of OS they did not have a licence to, or had not yet tried in live metal. Or they want to make comparison tests on a operating system service pack they had not yet fully tested all SP variants of, or there is some part of the DriverPacks BASE method they had not tested on all versions of all operating systems.).
Hmmm, I think I just explained how much fun it is to find out wether all permutations were covered while people get to test each new beta and release candidate before we risk a release of DriverPacks BASE and the DriverPacks.

In any case, there are many permutations while testing, and to make this worse than it already is, live metal can have an other result than virtual machine test.

File not found?
In one OS file is found in other OS not, can be a DriverPacks error. But we have also seen that it can be hardware error, and the worst were those few we have seen in server driver files and when it got fixed they kept coming back later on.
(A few of those had to be dropped. We compared ideas about why our hard work got messed up, and realised a few of these server drivers have an inbuilt fixed route to file so "file got mislaid" cannot be worked around.)

File corrupt? We will suggest a memory test and use new brand of media in your burner.

So, let me thank you for the detail, and for not wasting our time.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Here are my results since my last post.
Start with SP3 already integrated

Successful unattended installer:
nlite integrates hotfixes, removes components, and sets unattended options
slipstream DriverPacks
make iso

UNSUCCESSFUL repair option installer:
nlite integrates hotfixes, removes components, and sets unattended options, prompt repair
slipstream DriverPacks
make iso
The problem is there is no repair option, DriverPacks prevents it apparently.

SUCCESSFUL repair option installer:
nlite integrates hotfixes and removes components
slipstream DriverPacks
nlite sets unattended options, prompt repair
make iso

Thanks for all the input. I'll check out the tutorial.

I make the repair installer to use as a last resort before a clean install. Sometimes it works.
I remove components so the installer will fit on a cd. Perhaps I'll graduate to dvd next time.
(I still might remove IIS.)
Removing components seems to cause sfc /scannow to discover many files are missing.

DriverPacks and nLite are both great software and they have helped me maintaining 160 XP systems since 2005, I think.

Jerry

if you use driverpacks the repair option is disabled... because if we don't then you will not have an unnattended installation.

We do not support Attended installation (Repair is an attended installation)
There is a way to enable the repair option, and it is well documented in many places on our site...

You MUST be aware that makeing the changes that enable a repair will cause your Unnattended Install to Hang...
Thus making it an attended installation... One or the other - you can't have both.
You will either have an attended install with repair option... or... an unattended install without the repair option wink

Either or not both! (I hope this is VERY clear!)

in order to enable the Repair option you must remove the entire [Unattended] section from the Winnt.sif file tongue big_smile
if the unattended section (even if it is only the [Unattended] line itself) you will NOT be prompted for repair. smile

If you remove the [Unattended] section some drivers will hang your install with driver signing warnings... sorry about your luck. This is by Microsoft design and is not a flaw in either nLite or DriverPacks.

As I stated One or the other not both smile wink either Unnattended or Attended
- Repair is an attended install, nothing we can do about it wink so if you remove the unattended section don't come back crying that it now stops for user input for certain drivers... We already know that it will, and it is supposed to.

furthermore Attended installs are not supported by DriverPacks... (You're on your own if you do this)

DO NOT USE nLite AFTER DriverPacks. This WILL Corrupt your Source PERIOD.
To be clear running nLite AFTER DriverPacks absolutely will destroy your source!

Remove the [Unattended] section manualy!  Use notepad or whatever and burn the disc, No other changes!

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.