Topic: [SOLVED] BASE 8.05 and older - Update Checker fails updating BASE

Hi all,

At the risk of making a fool of myself, I came across a problem with this release. From the old version (8.05)  it said there was a new version, click to update and reload the new version. It then deleted the DPs_Base.exe from the old and stoppped. Gave it 20 mins to see if it came back to light and it didn't so downloaded manually the .12 version no problem.

I'm running XP Pro to SP2 on an Athlon 1.2GHz machine (Please don't laugh! I will get a new machine soon :-))

Great prog though - I can live with workarounds for something this good!

Cheers,

Tarbaby.

(PS - I assume PABCHAK is understood? Problem Associated Between CHair And Keyboard? Lot's of our support calls get killed that way!)

Of all the things I've lost in Life,
I miss my mind the most.

Re: [SOLVED] BASE 8.05 and older - Update Checker fails updating BASE

Tarbaby wrote:

(PS - I assume PABCHAK is understood? Problem Associated Between CHair And Keyboard?

big_smile  Thanks a lot!  I just blew my coffee all over my screen when I read that!  ROFLMAO!

There was a problem with the SimpleCDN links (I think).  Overflow is working on it.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

We used to note our tickets with PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair) this is considered an industry standard... I am surprized you have not seen this before mr_s. alternately we would reference the "meat virus"

DriverPacks BASE 8.05 was written 6 months ago when we were useing dreamhost...
the update location checked by base for the new base version is on dreamhost...
the new version of base is on simple CDN...

I need Wim to do a redirect of the url for us... 

Thanks for reporting !

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

OK - 8.05 recognised that the next version was 12, but then obviously got lost! Still struggling to get all the right drivers in place - serves me right for having an old graphics card I guess, but there seem so many All in Wonder Radeon variants that it shouldn't surprise that trial by error is due....

Still - grand programme. Found you through a reference in Personal Computer World Mag.

I miss my mind the most.

Yes, PEBKAC is the term I remember.  And the "Meat Virus" is running rampant in my dept (despite my best efforts).

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

wow...
- we're in a magazine!

http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-computer- … 465?page=1

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Yeah, just that they totally forgot to mention the BASE and it's nice and neat features that can make all of these manual steps as described in the article with a mere click on a button wink

The authors should read the tuts themselves first so they can give their reader a better advice, methinks smile

Anyway, there's no bad press, as they say big_smile
Publicity is good!

Helmi wrote:

Yeah, just that they totally forgot to mention the BASE and it's nice and neat features that can make all of these manual steps as described in the article with a mere click on a button wink

The authors should read the tuts themselves first so they can give their reader a better advice, methinks smile

Anyway, there's no bad press, as they say big_smile
Publicity is good!

@Helmi:  They did mention BASE briefly in the article.  It is on page 8 of the article.

http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-computer- … 465?page=8

Last edited by Echo_Platoon (2008-12-31 00:49:59)

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/5ocSdUxUxrK5g8rfTm7_39bPWgBMWiteXNH4McROrNw/perpetual:forever/userbar/mainteam-1.png

Yay! smile

It's amazing though how most magazines fail to copy the correct spelling of software…
"Nlite" instead of "nLite"
"Driverpacks" instead of "DriverPacks"
"Base" instead of "BASE"

ack, I guess we can't have it all smile

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

OverFlow wrote:

DriverPacks BASE 8.05 was written 6 months ago when we were useing dreamhost...
the update location checked by base for the new base version is on dreamhost...
the new version of base is on simple CDN...

I need Wim to do a redirect of the url for us... 

Thanks for reporting !

Fixed now smile

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Thanks for Fixing the URL / redirect for us Boss!

Tested from base 8.05 and working as intended!

Echo_Platoon wrote:

@Helmi:  They did mention BASE briefly in the article.  It is on page 8 of the article.

http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-computer- … 465?page=8

Ah ok, didn't bother to read that far, I only got to page 2 where they described how to do an SAD (when are we going to start calling it SoFI?) manually.

OK, so this topic has now wandered so far away from where I started that it's unrecognisable. But please can you humour a Newbie and explain a couple of things:
1) I followed the PCW version of life, and things seemed to work. But having nlite'd then BASE'd then nLite to an ISO, I then checked my ISO on a VM. Seemed OK, but couldn't find my (aged) All in Wonder Radeon card. Does this mean PABCHAK, or was the tutorial in PCW mag rubbish and I should follow Overflow's links? (But reading the tutorial, seems similar to PCW?) Or can you not use VMs to check drivers load properly?

2) Why is SoFI SAD? And who (or what) is a SoFI?

But yes, the publicity got you at least one new user!!

PS - Sorry, should have added solved to the title, I do know that much! Thanks whoever did add it.

Last edited by Tarbaby (2008-12-31 08:02:09)

I miss my mind the most.

Tarbaby wrote:

OK, so this topic has now wandered so far away from where I started that it's unrecognisable.

Hah, sorry about that, we tend to let ourselves get carried away.
Seeing as the topic has already been marked as SOLVD, not too big a loss, I guess (otherwise I'd have to play Mod and clean this up wink).

Oh, and no one's blaming you for not having put it up there, you may not know our rules too well already.
We use these "tags" to be able to easily and quickly differentiate between posts.

1) Old Radeons (you didn't say which one but I think the oldest AIW is X800?) are most likely covered by the DriverPack Graphics C, as they are already legacy, seeing as the Catalyst drivers are only being updated for cards of the Xyyy series an newer.

2) SAD = Stand Alon Drivers (Disc)
SoFI = Software First Installer (IIRC...)

The reason for the rename lay within the connotation of SAD (as in unhappy).
Or maybe it's too close to MAD, I dunno.

Anyway, it does just what the arctile describes on pg. #2, just within BASE, so no manual steps involved.
It's more newbie-friendly that way and causes less support issues for us (hopefully).

The best details about us (I thought) were on pages 10 and 11
http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-computer- … 65?page=10

I added the tag... smile

no you can not tell for sure if the drivers are working from a VM. A VM has no actual hardware wink

You will have to test it on your target machine to be absolutely certain...
there is a 99.9 percent chance it is covered. You could post the HWID for your video card, and we can see if the HWID is included. This would still not be as accurate of a test, as a real live test install on your target machine. Most of us keep an old HDD handy (or install to a secondary drive or partition IE  D: ) to 'live' test install.

The VM will tell you if you have set all other aspects of your installation disc (except your drivers) correctly. big_smile

the article missed one big program to help you... WPI
Windows Post Installer installs your applications after the windows setup...
IE Office, Java, Flash, adobe reader or whatever apps you normally install.
WPI makes your install disc a complete solution for disaster!

hint: if you are trying to fit these on CD put WPI on it's own CD(s) wink

I did not see where he actually says this but he hit bulls-eye.
It is better to spend a few hours to setup an unattended install once,
than to spend a few hours every time you need to reinstall.
most unattended installs take 10~20 min to the first login.
Plus the time for the app. installs from WPI. wink
My UXP Disk is on DVD and runs about 40 minutes.
But when it is done so is my reinstall. My antivirus and my business software is there, my email client is preconfigured, multiple browsers, my DVD players and Codecs ect...,  my cell phone drivers & sync software, printer drivers and software, my word processing applications. and any updates they need run after their installs are done too. Registry entries are added for further customizations of user settings. Again it is easier to do this all only once "Set it and Forget it"... to coin a phrase.

if you can reinstall in 30 minutes it is hardly worth fighting with a particularly nasty or involved issue.  wink

( I am not even going to mention Backups. Oops. Because I am positive that everyone, always, backs up thier important files... )

Put in your Disc pick a location to install and go watch TV for a half an hour. Why would you do anything else? big_smile
It does take the better part of a day to do (if it is your first time) but every time after that it will take no time at all and you won't even have to watch it install ever again once you're done wink Many of us who do this professionaly will update our discs roughly monthly. Updates take minutes after you've 'got it'. This is to our advantage because we may have to roll out 50 machines and we don't want all 50 machines to download (and install) the same update 50 times. (Yes we could use an imaging software, wink but not my point.)

jeff

Thanks all - I'm back up and running now having had a succesfull re-install! (Well, I'm happy anyway!) - and much easier than my normal faffing around with discs and swapping in and out. My sound card is running better than before, and yes even though the VM didn't find my Radeon, real life did!

Still have to fit with the dreadful Samsung drivers, but hey that's life. (And as for Canon site to find new drivers, well shucks! Why didn't I just stick with HP for a printer?!)

Love the idea of WPI programme - dug around to find the website but needed to get on with this install. Will certainly set it up for next install - my promised New Machine! (* dreams of time and money *)

Still, got it back running in time for the wife to start back to work next week :-)

Thanks for all your help guys,

Tarbaby

I miss my mind the most.

if you look in our third party driver section you will find a cannon printer pack and a monitor pack with many others you might need too... wink