Topic: [IMPL] DP_Base 8.12.1 - Download buttons on UpdateChecker page.

First of all your drivers are first rate!! and I have been using them for years.  I make stand alone driver CDs using PRO_S_Hardware and your driverpacks. Althought you seem to have made your own standalone pack.

Would it be possible to put an update or download button on the UpdateChecker page?
I see this was discussed in 2006 but there was no resolution.

It is a pain to run DP Base and see what packs are outdated then go to the site and download each pack.  Having to open 3-4 pages each pack.

From the 2006 post the "Donate" button seems why people are sent to the site to download packs.  You could put in a donate window while the packs are being updated.

Thanks Again for a great job and a great product!!

Title updated

Last edited by OverFlow (2008-10-18 12:06:07)

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/Av2BDsDf_iiqO8a4dpI49DKicUs_0zEQtEPcTGyCqV4/perpetual:forever/userbar/tester-1.png
Hero of the day 10-02-19!

Re: [IMPL] DP_Base 8.12.1 - Download buttons on UpdateChecker page.

incorrect assumption...

At that time we were paying for bandwith and had a limited amount to go around.

we forced people to the server because referers were used to prevent leaching
(in this way people can not link directly to the files - if they did they were denied access)
Only the links on our site would allow downloading this prevents bots  from grabbing the files
daily, or hourly, or every five min, or whatever insanity some goofball could concieve.
(If the source of a request was not "driverpacks.net" it would fail...)

You are sort of right about the money thing...
However since we don't get any donations either way that is not it...
It's Because we don't / didn't have any money that we couldn't afford to go over our bandwidth
everybody wants it all for nothing - go figure - and then they want to complain about it too... wink
(yes i just took a shot at you - Teasing!!!!  just teasing! wink

in the last year there have been like five people that donated a few dollars each.
i am sure it was not even enough to cover Wim's hosting costs and a beer... 
And is why downloading them from the program was never done...

So donations was not the reason it was setup that way  (at least not directly)
It was because it was not possable - because there never were any donations. wink
free is one thing but having to dig into your own pockets is just wrong...

but That is NOT the main reason...

The main reason is because we think YOU SHOULD READ THE CHANGELOG!
And i don't see that reason changeing - and it is a valid reason

So if we take into account the fact that Simple CDN now donates our bandwith (Woo Hoo, those guys rock)
i suppose i could force the user to view the Change log and agree that they read it (like a license agreement) from base.

Perhaps we could take a look at download buttons again...

However you are not ever going to be able to get around clicking on multiple pages
because that would not be prudent. IE we just moved all the business graphics drivers from
DriverPack Graphics C to DriverPack Graphics B. Someone who was used to getting those files might download the same pack they
always did only to find out their drivers are no longer in the pack they thought they were...

So when they show up and say my drivers are missing!
I can say did you read the changelog? (you clicked on the button that said you did tongue )

I'll take a look at this...
since our bandwith is now free -

* * * Thanks to Simple CDN! * * *

One of the main obsticals to this IS now gone...

jeff

PS i had considered this myself already, but more important issues seem to always creep in and push it aside

PSS added to TODO List

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Re: [IMPL] DP_Base 8.12.1 - Download buttons on UpdateChecker page.

Done added in DriverPacks BASE ver 8.12.1

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.