Topic: BSOD with nightly DP_Sound_A_wnt5_x86-32_809rc1.7z

The old usual portcls.sys BSOD.  It ONLY happens if I try to integrate this particular nightly.  Use any other sound pack in any combination with current GA and/or recent nightlies, everything is fine.

Testing under Virtualbox 2.0 and 1.6.6.

I'm using DP_Base 80910b, but the BSOD occurs with older DP_Base including 805.

If you need more info on the BSOD let me know here, it's repeatable.......

Re: BSOD with nightly DP_Sound_A_wnt5_x86-32_809rc1.7z

Checking...

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

hi newsposter

which sound chip is used?
The HWID might help.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

generic emulated HWIDs from Virtualbox.

===========
PCI Devices
===========
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_2000&SUBSYS_20001022&REV_40\3&267A616A&0&18: AMD PCNET Family Ethernet Adapter (PCI)
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1237&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&00: Intel 82441FX Pentium(R) Pro Processor to PCI bridge
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2415&SUBSYS_00008086&REV_01\3&267A616A&0&28: Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM)
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7000&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00\3&267A616A&0&08: Intel 82371SB PCI to ISA bridge
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7111&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_01\3&267A616A&0&09: Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
PCI\VEN_80EE&DEV_BEEF&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00\3&267A616A&0&10: VirtualBox Graphics Adapter
PCI\VEN_80EE&DEV_CAFE&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00\3&267A616A&0&20: VirtualBox Device
7 matching device(s) found.

===========
USB Devices
===========
No matching devices found.

=============
Input Devices
=============
No matching devices found.

============
ACPI Devices
============
ACPI\ACPI0003\0                                             : Microsoft AC Adapter
ACPI\FIXEDBUTTON\2&DABA3FF&0                                : ACPI Fixed Feature Button
ACPI\PNP0200\4&1D401FB5&0                                   : Direct memory access controller
ACPI\PNP0303\4&1D401FB5&0                                   : PS/2 Keyboard
ACPI\PNP0400\4&1D401FB5&0                                   : Printer Port (LPT1)
ACPI\PNP0700\4&1D401FB5&0                                   : Standard floppy disk controller
ACPI\PNP0A03\0                                              : PCI bus
ACPI\PNP0F03\4&1D401FB5&0                                   : Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse (IntelliPoint)
ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08\0                                          : Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
ROOT\ACPI_HAL\0000                                          : Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
10 matching device(s) found.

Works fine for me in VB 2.0.0
Used S_A 8.09rc1

more testing with S_A 809 rc2

I am playing around with having the audio devices enabled in VB or not.  I have about 8 different setups to test so it will be a while before I report back.

The one constant is that if I integrate older soundA packs, no BSOD.  If I integrate any of the soundA 8.09 packs (including rc2), BSOD.

other tidbits:

XP install runs to successful completeion if I manually disable sound support in the VM.

After a no-audio-hardware install, I can re-enable the audio hardware.  PnP will detect the h/w as a Realtek AC 97 and then try to install the drivers.  The VM will BSOD on what appears to be the last component of the driver package.

During a PnP driver install, I can tell the applet to let me pick the hardware from a list.  I then pick the Vinyl AC 97 Combo Codec Driver WDM package INSTEAD of the Realtek AC 97 package.  The Vinyl driver appears to install properly without BSOD.

So, and until I can get more testing in, the problem appears to be in the Realtek AC 97 driver and/or the proper detection of an AC 97.  If I manually interrupt PnP and tell it to use the Vinyl AC 97 Combo driver, things work properly.

Last edited by newsposter (2008-09-14 20:05:16)

well, realtek drivers writers are most defenately set on covering the entire market, because they include HWIDs for via, nvidia, and intel and they do it in an all generic file, and in others of their multitude of infs.

Let's suppose a user replaces the realtek with the latest download..
That will cause issues when sound_B is also used.
A realtek update is often about just one HWID, but the pruning we had to do is done in a dozen or so files across the two packs, and we also deleted a few inf..

doing a realtek update because there is a new version often means one extra HWID taking something like two hours of work.
1: compare older original( the version that is in driverpacks) to latest update original, find the HWID. (copy it to clipboard?)
2; compare updated files to files in pack. (the merge/compare tool shows what files we deleted, and the sections that were edited. The newest driver gets pruned in that process. )
3: now that is done, run dragdrop tool and collect HWIDS from PRUNED updated driver.
4; import the CSV into new excell tab, paste the HWIDs under the old worksheet.
4, remove old version HWIDS (now duplicated) in the excell sheet.
>> it will also show if that NEW HWID is not duped elsewhere, but you may as well look for a conflict by looking for partial HWID to find out if there is now no generic competing in other driver<<
5; SAVE excell sheet with new name

replace driver in new test pack and build it.
upload to two servers
viola, you spent (at least) two hours on one HWID.

>> excell sheet "what we had" needs to be updated too.. <<
6; collect all hwids from original updated driver with dragdrop
7: replace the section in "what-we-had" sheet.
((what we had can be useful. We may have made a wrong decision in the past, and when updates in other drivers happen we may have to reverse a decision..))

Last edited by Jaak (2008-09-15 11:09:53)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Thanks for that explanation, because as user we don't know the amount of work required to update a DriverPack.

Very big thanks to all the DriverPack team and keep up the nice job.

Have a nice day.

newsposter wrote:

more testing with S_A 809 rc2

The one constant is that if I integrate older soundA packs, no BSOD.  If I integrate any of the soundA 8.09 packs (including rc2), BSOD.

OK, so you're saying the only problem you have is in VM?  What about real hardware?
In VirtualBox (v2.02 is out now), what do you have your audio settings as?
Null Audio Driver
Windows DirectSound

And what about the sub-options?
ICH AC97
Soundblaster16

Also, what about your host machine (real) hardware?  Do you have Realtek or Via sound controller?

I'm more concerned with weeding out real hardware bugs, but I'll dig around to fix virtual bugs too if I can.

I've been using VB with Windows DirectSound-->ICH AC97 with zero problems.

where are the nightly builds posted? sorry as i'm new here.

to neogator:
http://dev.driverpacks.thesneaky.com/dr … s/?C=M;O=A
http://driverpacks.sytes.net/driverpacks/Nightlies/

Worked on Windows 8.1 Pro

@neogator
Just be advised that the nightly builds are NOT final.  There may be (and frequently are) bugs in the DriverPacks that may cause serious problems.  They are for testing purposes only.
Normally, the nightly downloads (and testing forums) are restricted to those on the Testing Team.
With that in mind, please report back with your hardware IDs and how the nightlies worked on your system. 

Welcome to DriverPacks!