Topic: Changing the initial "extract to" folder

If this has already been discussed, I apologize. I've searched using every keyword I can think of.

I'm trying to use method 2, with KTD set for C:\Drivers

Everything is working, I'm just trying to speed the install a bit. During windows setup the driver zips are extracted to C:\ , needed drivers installed, then the finisher has to copy all of those extracted drivers to C:\Drivers. I'd like to instead do the initial unzip to the final KTD location, so that the finisher doesn't have to copy the 3+Gb of drivers later.

I've tried editing the OEM\DP_Install_Tool.cmd so that the initial extraction goes to %systemdrive%\Drivers\, but my changes seem to be getting ignored. Am I editing the wrong file? Does the extract to location need to be set as a variable first, say using a "set drvpath=%systemdrive%\Drivers" so that the unzip command line runs just as "%drvpath%\" rather than  "%systemdrive%\Drivers\" ? I'm not sure why it would make a difference though.

Or am I looking in the wrong place entirely?

Re: Changing the initial "extract to" folder

Camelot_One wrote:

I'm trying to use method 2, with KTD set for C:\Drivers

Everything is working, I'm just trying to speed the install a bit. During windows setup the driver zips are extracted to C:\ , needed drivers installed, then the finisher has to copy all of those extracted drivers to C:\Drivers. I'd like to instead do the initial unzip to the final KTD location, so that the finisher doesn't have to copy the 3+Gb of drivers later.

AFAIK, the driver copying and deletion operation was changed to a simple driver move almost aeons ago (and definitely sped things up by far!

So, what you are trying to achieve has already been done, hence, changing the paths should not gain you a noticeable advantage in speed (moving files on a fresh system with a still small FAT should take an instant).

If you were to include a virus scanner into your installation, it could be that it is already running at that time, thereby scanning each file that is moved, hence noticably slowing down the process.
You might want to tinker with that if you need better speed smile

Or am I looking in the wrong place entirely?

No, it's the propper place alright.

" I've tried editing the OEM\DP_Install_Tool.cmd "

well the Tool is not used for a M2 install...
so any changes you make there will be ignored, DP_Install_Tool.cmd is for manually installing drivers (a stand alone driver disc)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize it was issuing a move rather than copy command. And you are right, the finisher always failed for me under guirunonce, so I had it executing at the end of my installer script, after the AV software. I'll try moving it to the top and see if that helps.