Topic: Using Driver Packs with Acronis Universal Restore

Hi, I have Acronis True Image Echo and have the Universal Restore Add-on. I installed them on my computer and made a boot disk. I also downloaded all the Driver Packs (including 3rd Party) and also the Base 805.

Now what i am trying to do is put those driver packs in the Acronis boot disk ISO so i can use the driver packs with acronis universal restore. I have read lots of the posts in the Forum but am not quite sure how to intergrate the driver packs. Do i extract them using 7zip and put the folder with the extracted driver packs on the Acronis boot CD or do i use the Base 805 program and do Method 1 type CD and then just copy the OEM1$ folder to the acronis universal restore CD? Also i am not sure if i need to do the Text mode mass storage device version for it to work with Acronis Universal restore or do i do the regular Mass Stoage Drivers without Text Mode? If i do the text mode version do i put the Winnt.sif file on the acronis CD or something?

Also someone mentioned that i could put the driver packs on the computer that i will make the backup image of and then when i restore the image to another computer i just point to the drivers folder on the backup image. For this way do i extract the driver packs with 7zip or do i copy the oem1$ folder created when making a method 1 cd? Do i do the text version or the non text version of the mass storage device drivers?

I am so confused and need any help i can get. Please if someone can help me i would be very much grateful.

Thanks Again!

Re: Using Driver Packs with Acronis Universal Restore

Still looking for some help on this topic. Anyone have any answers on the topics above? Thanks in advance.

i think you made the issue a little more complex then it has to be,

to my knowledge, acronis will take care of HAL, and SATA, but not other hardware, which is why the bootcd is so small (i think it supports raid as well, but don't hold me to that)

now the idea of acronis is to have a clean drive system, what i mean by that, is to only have windows drivers installed, so create a windows setup, but do not install any drivers at all, of course this is limiting considering how old windows xp driver database is.

to utilize driver packs, all you need is the system to start up enough for sysprep to do it's work, as long as the registry has been told where the drivers are located on the hard drive then sysprep will do the hardware device scan and find what it can, so in your case, you need to to a sysprep, then run below program, point to driverpacks, then create a image,

on roll out, acronis universal image will correct HAL and sort out SATA, enough to stop BLUE screen at least, then sysprep will take over, sysprep with the help from program below will run through hardware device scan utilizing all the drivers found in told location and hopefully bootup into windows desktop,

a little tip, from my experience do not install any graphics drivers, in base image, and don't include graphics driverbase, because there is a strong chance of bad install and blue screen, graphic drivers is very error proan, especially ATI and Nvidia. everything else is ok,

Accept for Nvidia Motherboard chipsets, these are a nightmare, especially NForce 1-2-3 Nforce 4 and above is not too bad.

there are other tips i could put in, but what's here covers the most part,

I'm quite sure you will need this

http://www.vernalex.com/tools/spdrvscn/

now i have not tried the above myself, due to the fact that acronis bootcd is not 100% compatible with all systems, because of the utilization of a GUI it uses, I've had some systems keyboard and mouse show very erratic behaviour which can't be resolve (some systems don't like so many resources being loaded in such a low environment) so i continue to use Ghost for this reason. ghost is simple, but it works on any system even all laptops that make it indispensable.

goodluck,

Last edited by Registered (2008-09-25 23:06:29)

I use KTD option for all drivers, then install system, soft, prepare system for universal master image, do .tib from that system logical dive. 90% - all working, when I use recovery to other hardware by SnapDeploy+UD or by ATIES+UR.

Any change to being able to update the drivers to a already existing PC from which a TIB file can be created.

Or wmor or anyone point in the right direction. I only found two articles on the diverpack forum when I searched for Acronis...hmmm

Because acronis has many shortcomings that Ghost does not have... most people use Ghost wink

almost nobody uses acronis - perhaps that is a clue... wink

Look at the SoFI feature of base (I am changeing the name from SAD (Stand Alone Drivers ))
it is featured in the FAQ and the home page... That should give you what your looking for.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

just a query, is there an actual reason why your choosing Acronis over Ghost?

Us2002 wrote:

90% - all working, when I use recovery to other hardware by SnapDeploy+UD or by ATIES+UR.

just i wonder, what is the problem with the 10% that fail.
is it hal issue or mass storage ???

Hmm, that's a thing that doesn't seem to be too easy to resolve. The choice between Acronis and Ghost can be a tough one, both have pros and cons in my opinion. I am using Acronis True Image Echo for quite some time and never had any problems. I have to admit that I don't really know what exactly your problem is. Acronis is not compatible with all systems but that should be clear. You have to cope with that, there's no perfect backup software.