Topic: Understand how the DriverPack works

Hi

Somebody can help me to understand the last 3 lines in the [AD4] driver,
and the last 2 lines in the [C2] driver.
I am to make a BartPE CD, and want to try to understand how the DriverPack works,
because I want to build a BartPE with Windows Xp-SP2, and another one with
Windows 2003 Server-Sp2, and I am interested in particular at the 2 following MassStorage drivers,
and I dont now if the 2 drivers works fine in BartPE with XP and Win 2003 Server.

If I put a driver for Win XP in a BartPE with Win 2003 Server what happens?

what it means the lines:       ms_1_isBusExtender=false   
                   ms_1_exc_disableIfOS="w2k"
                   ms_1_exc_replaceIfOS="wxp,w2k3"

and

ms_1_exc_skipIfOS="w2k".

Thanks

[AD4]
ms_count=1
ms_1_deviceName="Adaptec I2O RAID Host Controllers"
ms_1_tag="DPTI2O"
ms_1_sysFile="DPTI2O.sys"
ms_1_hwids="PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C0011044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C0021044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C0031044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C0041044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C0051044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C00A1044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C00B1044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C00C1044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C00D1044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C00E1044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C00F1044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C0141044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C0151044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C0161044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C01E1044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C01F1044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C0281044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C0291044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C03C1044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C0461044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C0471044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C0641044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C0651044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C05A1044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A511&SUBSYS_C0321044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A511&SUBSYS_C0331044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C0661044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A501&SUBSYS_C05F1044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A511&SUBSYS_C0341044,PCI\VEN_1044&DEV_A511&SUBSYS_C0351044"
ms_1_isBusExtender=false

[C2]
ms_count=1
ms_1_deviceName="Compaq\HP ProLiant E200/E200i/P400/P400i/P600"
ms_1_tag="hpcissm2"
ms_1_sysFile="hpcissm2.sys"
ms_1_hwids="PCI\VEN_103C&DEV_3220&SUBSYS_3225103C,PCI\VEN_103C&DEV_3230&SUBSYS_3234103C,PCI\VEN_103C&DEV_3230&SUBSYS_3235103C,PCI\VEN_103C&DEV_3238&SUBSYS_3212103C,PCI\VEN_103C&DEV_3238&SUBSYS_3211103C"
ms_1_isBusExtender=false
ms_1_exc_skipIfOS="w2k"

Re: Understand how the DriverPack works

the Base program will create your PE plugin for you both for xp and 2003.
no need for you to do anything except include them in your builds.

the lines i believe are self explanatory.

Please see the bartpe tutorial in my signature

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Thanks OverFlow
I have used DriverPacks using just the bartpe tutorial in your signature, and has useful, but
I am to try to understand the lines in the file "DriverPack_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32.ini"
because I wont to see if I can add new drivers for this metod (adding a new entry), so is important to me understand the importance of that to build a BartPE.
The lines are: ms_1_isBusExtender=false   
                    ms_1_exc_skipIfOS="w2k".

Thanks

Hi,
what do the lines mean?
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=2461

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

if you find drivers that are not i8n the packs it is better to request them ans let us add them to the packs for you

in this way you dont have to add them every time we come out with a new pack and anyoine else who might need them will benefit too.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Hello there. I'm new to your forums--I just found your site. Not sure why it took so long!

I've been using BartPE for ages and also the UBCD plugins. I believe I saw something else in the forums about UBCD and driverpacks, but not within the context of BartPE. Hence, I've posted this reply. Please move this if in the wrong place.

The "Administrator's" tutorials were helpful, but still leave a few unanswered questions. Perhaps these questions are similar to what others might ask:

1) I use BartPE and UBCD plugins to provide driver support for many varieties of hardware. I would really like to understand how to "cleanup" my plugins configuration so I am using a consistent method to load all the drivers I can. Right now, I run all of the UBCD and I even have a "raid" plug-in, but it's not active. I don't think it ever worked. Likewise, I think I have other "driver" plugins in order to add things like Dell wireless drivers, etc. How should I configure PEBuilder to use your drivers and should I continue with the UBCD plugins?

2) I ran the Base program and chose the BartPE configuration as described in your tutorial. It takes the mass storage drivers as indicated, but it doesn't do anything with the other driver packs. For these, is the proper method to slipstream them into my XP/2003 distribution instead of having them get "loaded on the fly" as the UBCD drivers do?

3) Is there any chance I could just stick an updated DriverPacks 7Z file and place it into the UBCD plugin folder and it would pick up the new drivers?

Thanks in advance for your help on these. I would be very happy to contribute to your effort as well as I spend a fair amount of time updating the 7z UBCD files to include the latest Intel drivers. We are mostly a Dell shop but have clients who rent a lot of various other brands and we spend too much time trying to keep it all up to date. Having a single, coherent driver loading system with PEBbuilder would be a dream come true.

If there is an easy way I could post my plug-in configuration to make it easier to explain my environment, I would be happy to do so.

Thanks!

I assume you are talking about UBCD4Win and not UBCD?
(UBCD is a DOS based tool)

UBCD4Win includes DriverPacks... and is the best way to keep your bartpe tidy!

only mass storage plugin is currently supported... (i am sure it says that in the tutorial)
(that is to say we do not support general questions regarding bartpe and its setup and or maintanance
It is better to ask the guru's over at UBCD4Win)
you should not need any other mass storage plugins with DriverPacks (see my last post in this thread)
and how to configure and enable the DriverPack MassStorage bartpe plugin is covered in the tutorial

see 1 above - only mass storage plugin is currently supported... (i am sure it says that in the tutorial)
No, slipstreaming them into the source will make no difference... they will be ignored...

3 No... they will be ignored

try the Release Candidate (at your own risk) base 8.09.RC 
It's available from our home page, it's the second news item.
it will build the other plugins but they may or may not work...
the packs (other than mass) have not been fully prepared for use by PE

So, forgive me for asking, but I guess the general answer is for the BartPE world, you can use DriverPacks for MassStorage (which, mind you, if you do what I do for a living, is  a HUGE win to have others helping out with this!) and then, for the other stuff, use UBCD4Win and their driverpacks (not to be confused with driverpacks.net, I gather), therefore NOT enabling the mass storage driver packs from UBCD4Win during the BartPE plugin controls.

That sound about right?

Time to check out the UBCD4Win group again, as I was under the impression that they weren't updating their driver packs any more.

And, if you're up to it, if UBCD IS updating their mass storage pack, why wouldn't you guys want to somehow work together so you could use a single .7z file and repurpose some of your efforts? It's almost sounding like if UBCD4Win is still updating, I might as well just use UBCD or is there still some added value with the the driverpacks.net driver packages?

I have to believe I'm missing something. Perhaps you don't work completely with BartPE (yet) but how else would you use the driver packs now, if you wanted to use them? Is there really life after BartPE (or PE Builder) :-)?

-Ken

Yes i think you missed something.... wink tongue big_smile

RE: "why wouldn't you guys want to somehow work together so you could use a single .7z file and repurpose some of your efforts?"

UBCD4Win   USES  DriverPacks.net   as their official plugin! wink
so you get DriverPacks (DriverPacks.net) with your UBCD4Win download... then you get your update packs (.7z) here... big_smile
I could not have created the BartPE Plugin without the dedicated and readily available help provided by the UBCD4Win team. We worked together tirelessly to create the mass storage plugin.
Why wouldn't we?... Well that is exactly what we did!

I am suggesting to you that you do what I would do if I had a BartPE question...
I would ask the UBCD4Win team wink - those guys rock!

If you need help specificaly with the DriverPacks plugin then i am the man!
I have learned my lessons well in this niche of BartPE...
the rest of it I'm learning just like you

If you are brave... you can test the RC base that allows you to try to build the other packs as plugins too...

Jeff smile

Questions?

PS
RE:how else would you use the driver packs now, if you wanted to use them? tongue
our original target was Disc based Unattended OS installation...
and we are getting about a million downloads a month just based on that - but we're still growing wink lol

Now I'm feeling MUCH better!

Last question, since I bet anyone reading this thread (now or later) would want to know...

"If we are mostly interested in BartPE building, should we use the UBCD4win Mass Storage plugin, or just use UBCD4Win if we're already using UBCD4Win for all the other driver packs?"

And yes, of course, I'd be happy to test your RC. I need to find the pointer to that download so I can help join the effort.

Cheers,
-Ken

i think i understand teh question....

Base is designed to work as a plugin once you have used base to add your plugin to bartpe
(The UBCD4Win has team has already added DriverPacks BASE for you, in advance, so this step is done right out of the box)
IF you have a non UBCD4Win BartPE NBD jsut run base and point it at the plugin folder of BartPE...
then you will have exactly the same experience as with UBCD4Win.

Once the plugin is installed by DriverPacks BASE you can update the packs simply by adding them to the
\BartPE\plugin\DriverPacks.net\BASE\DriverPacks
folder and then hitting the configure button in PEbuilder (from the plugins page)

if you want to update the existing Base program simply install base (outside of the PE folder structure)
run base selecting the bartpe platform and the proper location to create the updated plugin
\BartPE\plugin\   folder
and hit the slipstream button this will delete the existing plugin and create a new one ready to go!

the link is in the second news artical on the homepage wink

however there is a newer version out now... (released today)
http://driverpacks.sytes.net/driverpack … 1102RC.exe
this is a release candidate... please report good or bad results!!! TIA

Welcome and thanks for the excellent questions...

I finally had a chance to dig deeper into this so I could completely understand your reply. For anyone reading this thread, I hope you will finally understand it as I do now.

You see, I started with BartPE and loved the idea behind the whole project. And UBCD came out and was the leader in the drivers "collection" plugin because it was stupid for the odd one of us to add "dell wireless", or "HP-servers" or what have you. The UBCD_drivers_full was the bomb. It just didn't get updated after a while. It also required Autobuild, which was cool in-and-of-itself, but I believe was part of the reason why I was confused on how to use the current DriverPacks with a stock BartPE build.

So what was confusing me, was how DriverPacks.Net and UBCD were connected.

UBCD4Win clearly took off. They weren't just going to stop at drivers and they wanted to add everything into their "disk" including the kitchen sink. This, for some is way-cool, but for us Tech Repair folks, just having a customizable builder, with EVERY MASS STORAGE driver, and possibly every wireless and LAN driver is a small step short of heaven.

What I found, is roughly the same that the UBCD4Win folks found, and that's some nasty interactions between either the BartPE builder and the MS drivers, or something that's way over my head. And that is, adding EVERY driverpacks.net driver pack to your BartPE build, whether using a "clean 3.10a" or the 3.22 UBCD4Win build, you just can't get it to fully work properly. My issue is I can't get the mouse to load, and sometimes the shell won't load either. The UBCD4Win folks suggest using only the MassStorage driverpack, but I've found good success using the WLAN and LAN driver packs too. So, I know the problem is somewhere in the Video, CPU or Chipset driverpacks. The Video one is obvious on what it can bring to the experience, the other two less so.

But, if you're reading this thread. My suggestion is to start with a clean 3.22 build of UBCD4Win and then add additional driverpacks.net drivers incrementally. The way you do that is by copying the .7z file into the same directory (the UBCD4Win\plugin) where the BASE driverpack is located, and then re-run the BASE plugin using CONFIG Plugin. Then, to customize your bootdisk, just add/remove plugins that are there from the UBCD4Win installation.

Still confusing to me is the "Bâshrat the Sneaky DriverPacks". I still really don't know what they are, but I'm assuming they are the Driverpacks.net drivers, only with an old name. The Bâshrat the Sneaky driverpacks are what the UBCD4Win folks refer to and they don't really mention the Driverpacks.net plugin unless you do a log of digging.

As for the 809RC1, I never found much success in that one because I was trying to include the whole set of driverpacks (other than sound) and ran into the missing mouse problem. I think I've since tracked it down to a USB mouse problem, while PS/2 may work. As for an 8110RC1 image, I would be happy to try that. It's just important for testers to understand the best/intended way to use it. If you start with the UBCD4Win collection and then just add driverpacks, you probably aren't testing much of the 8.x slipstreaming features, if any. Since I practically owe my business to driverpacks, I am more than happy to test what you have available in order to keep this effort alive.

Cheers,
-Ken

Bâshrat the Sneaky is the original author of the driverpacks and our hero...

He was almost laughed off of the MSFN forum for suggesting that he could get all windows drivers in one place.

Bâshrat the Sneaky's driverpacks was born, and guess who has the last laugh. Bâshrat the Sneaky real name is Wim Leers.
He started DriverPacks when he was like 14. he is 19 now and in college (and now uses a mac).
Wim still owns DriverPacks and stops by from time to time but the torch is now carried by the team.
Bâshrat the Sneaky realized that he could not any longer maintain this by himself and semi open sourced it.
There are a handful of us that have volunteered to keep this project alive.

So to eliminate any confusion - Bâshrat the Sneaky DriverPacks website is DriverPacks.net. wink
anyone who has been around for a while would still call it Bâshrat the Sneaky's driverpacks - i do...

Since Wim went to college about two years ago, you just needed to have been around for a few years to know that. (noob - lol smile)

Jeff

So well put. Bâshrat the Sneaky. Gotta love it. Lol.

Wim, you are my hero as well.

On a different note, perhaps someone could create an "RC" thread and peg it to the top of the list so more of us willing to help test could find it.

And on a yet another note, I was so joyful the other day when I booted a UCBD4Win variant, with Mass Storage, WLAN and LAN driver packs, from a USB stick, on my server and it worked beautfilly. Made my week.

-Ken

I am so glad to have been able to help you to be successful with the bartpe...

The Bartpe code I wrote myself... big_smile
However I could not have done it without CDOB and especially HIGHLANDER from the UBCD4Win team. {hats off}

We do not encourage public testing of our betas. We have a testing team, and that is their contribution to DriverPacks. We refer to our test packs as the 'nightlies'. The nightlies are usually not stable and may even include beta drivers. It has been our experience that many non testing team users will use these in production machines, this is not an acceptable practice. Mostly because all of the info related to the nightlies is in a hidden forum (unless you're on the team). for many reasons Beta/Nightly drivers are for testing purposes only by users who are chosen for thier skills and familiarity with DriverPacks. Occasionaly we will offer a carefully chosen nightly to a particular user who has a specific problem to verify a fix or updated driver. In your case you are helping me to test an alpha feature - i did this because i was impressed that you figured out on your own that you could do this wink.

I have done some more investigating (i called hilander) and apparently without a modified copy of xpe-pnp (not created yet) only graphics LAN and WLAN are expected to work... all other packs will likely fail... they may not... but we don't expect much if any good results

Thanks for your interest

If you promise not to use test packs in production machines wink then i will make you a testing team member big_smile... If you like.

ps did you look at the tutorial in my signature (same as help button in pebuilder - plugins page)?

I looked at your tutorials before I made a reply to you in this thread.

I've (personally) ALWAYS had a 'production grade' disk as well as a "beta" version. And since I don't RUN any of MY computers on these disks anyway, I can assure you that I wouldn't run some nightly on anyone else's PC. Let me be perfectly clear--my time is precious, and since I work on other folks computers all day, I rarely have time to do anything on MY computers. Of utmost importance is the ability to access a problem computer's hard drive using a another boot disk and as that stands right now, the UBCD/Driverpacks.Net (aka Bâshrat the Sneaky driverpacks:-)) the current disk I hav pretty much hits the mark. So, why, you might ask, would I be interested in testing?

I used to write code for a living and I know the value of a GOOD testing group. There are always folks who want to get an "alpha copy" of the code, just to check it out, but then provide no useful feedback. My feedback might be limited too. The way I see it, I used to have a REALLY NICE repair disk but was growing tired of updating the drivers on it, especially for those pesky INTEL storage matrix drivers, so I cracked open my build config and tried all the new code. And guess what, it works, but only sometimes.

Where I can help is documenting what works (or should) and what doesn't.

And, with the new config, I suspect I will spend the next month or two trimming down and merging in the plugins that I want/need and those that I could care less about. I certainly don't need four different defraggers.  And during that time, I will end up making a LOT of builds, and each one of those could be built with beta/nightly code if you are interested in my feedback.

In the "early days" the whole BartPE project seemed almost "cult-ish" in that only serious techies could understand how to make it work, or could really appreciate the usefulness of the end result. At some point, the project had some decent documentation written for it that made it understandable to the above-average-noob and that's when the "UBCD-like" copies exploded on the net. It seemed the project had hit the critical mass and the general public could all benefit from it. But it didn't really happen. Not sure why. I was almost expecting the better software companies to begin building the plugin inf code for their product and including a BartPE installer as part of their InstallShield installer config. How simple was that? But it never happened. Sometimes I think the original developers (perhaps not Bart himself) didn't want that level of success. I really don't know. But what I do think is that this turned into another one of those projects that starts out with a great idea but lands one step shy of mass acceptance and use. And it won't be the last project to do this, nor is it the first. I used to work in Digital/Compaq corporate research and I know all too well what happens with projects like this.

So where I'm going with this diatribe, is just that I really don't want this project to stall, get boring, or only be used by techies. Sometimes, all it takes is a little polish or some guide that paves the way to increased adoption of a project. And the more folks who can make use of this project, the better off they will be. Anyway, my offer to test is there.

RE: And the more folks who can make use of this project

LOL we get over a million downloads a month wink that is averaging well over 32,000 DL a day tongue
i don't think having a large audience is an issue... at all wink LOL
too funny... big_smile

Testing team access granted

Welcome to the team, and we are glad to have you!

BartPE is very limited and requires you burn a OS licence for it.
It is a great tool but it is not an OS replacement.
when i added the mass plugin UBCD4Win reported over a thousand downloads in the first week
now it is included. It is in use by hundreds of thousands of users. That is kinda popular.
heck that might be more popular than that new OS that a certain OEM released recently.

You sound like the kind of tester we need more of!

thank you

Jeff

BartPE is both: a windows installation and a running windows.
Let's call this a running windows installation.

Basic hardware is detected at textmode part. This is part of regular windows installation.
This includes chipset. Without basic chipset support, no OS does run.
Example: pci.sys supports PCI bus. A current machine dosn't boot without pci.sys.
Txtsetup.sif [HardwareIsDatabase] *PNP0A03 defines PCI bus driver pci.sys. 

Basic chipset drivers are loaded, running and active at BartPE.
They are not nicely documented at device manager.
Simple solution: ignore chipset at device manager.

There is limited PNP at GUI mode.
A example:
USB controller was loaded again.
Attached devices lost connection, USB mouse is not available anymore. USB mouse dosn't work anymore.
USB mouse requires addional PNP. This is not part of default BartPE, can be added.

DP_Chipset_*.7z contains *.inf files without *.sys files mostly.
*.inf does load windows default *.sys drivers. Read there is no driver file *.sys added, just *.inf add a nice entry to device manager.
Importand windows default *.sys drivers are loaded at BartPE anyway. Remember that's part of textmode setup.

Contrary there are some *.sys files at DP_Chipset. This may make a difference.
Full conditions are not tested yet.

Current advise: do NOT add chipset drivers to BartPE

To make it more complex, windows support another PNP: CriticalDeviceDatabase.
Regular windows use this. BartPE support this too.
Thay way you may add hotplug USB keyboard and mouse, nice at a KVM.
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=20987

hot plug usb mouse and kbd would be nice with BartPE. I figured out (as did others) for hot plug USB mass storage device.

What about WZconfig to make dp WLAN drivers work? Is there a trick there?