Re: [SLV] Chipset 8.03 Locking up on Dell GX 620

MrGuitar wrote:

sysprep has been running for over 3 hours and it looks like there's no end in sight

3 possible reasons:

1. one of your HWID is wrong
2. one or your INF path or filename is wrong
3. There is an HWID duplicated in your sysprep.inf For example nvidia nForce4 has 2 flavor of the same driver one for intel one for AMD. You can only use one of the INF in the sysprep.inf because the driver share the same HWIDs and the sys file name is identical. So they overwrite eachothers.

Same thing happens for intel iastor.inf, intel has different drivers but they all use the same inf file name. So the last one specified in your sysprep.inf overwrite the previous ones...That's why OfflineSyprep is way better, it only inject the drivers you need so no conflicting driver!

You must verify every lines and make sure they are valid. Take notes that when we update the mass storage pack you must reverify all your paths since they can change.

You could also might be able to use the tool and specify only certain folders. Like C:\D\M\I1|C:\D\M\I2|C:\D\M\I3|C:\D\M\I4|C:\D\M\I5|C:\D\M\I6

SOLVED! An associate here at work was able to narrow down the problem to the ich7id2.inf file. This file causes the GX620 to crash on boot; the file, ich7ide.inf, is the one that is needed by this chipset. The fix is to not run the makePNF command. For some reason this will cause windows to grab the wrong driver. ...or at least that's in layman's terms.

The fix is to not run the makePNF command

I'm not running it either cause I have heard some people having issues with it. Thanks for letting us know.

mrguitar wrote:

SOLVED! An associate here at work was able to narrow down the problem to the ich7id2.inf file. This file causes the GX620 to crash on boot; the file, ich7ide.inf, is the one that is needed by this chipset. The fix is to not run the makePNF command. For some reason this will cause windows to grab the wrong driver. ...or at least that's in layman's terms.

I am running into the same problem with a GX620 on my XP image that I built in late August on DP 8.05 and the packs available at the time.  I build the image in VMware from install media integrated with the DriverPacks.   I don't however use sysprep.  I simply set the IDE interface to Standard IDE and the HAL as ACPI.  I also build a PIC HAL image for older PCs.   I boot right from the restored image, wait for keyboard and mouse detection and proceed to answer any prompts that might come up for undetected hadware.  It's a beautiful thing. 

What impact would disabling makePNF have on the image booting for the first time on a target PC and how would I go about disabling it?

Best regards to the DP team,
-felipe

you want to keep makepnf for what you do (you do this like i do)

PNF's made simple:
It's a "catalog cache" of the currently available drivers, a table of contents if you will.
windows will check the PNF files first before doing a full blown search or the hardware wizard wink
if you are old enough you may remember window 98 say building a driver information database I belive this is an extention of that... wink
this is a speed increase for finding drivers for new hardware  (and possably input reduction) big_smile

when you prepare your image don't let the finisher run... !

this will leave the drivers in place and ready to go
(make pnf has been done and so has the PnP search path in the registry)

Run the finisher at deployment on the target machine wink

this will install any required control panels or other required software
and then remove the driverpacks and clean up reg entries ect...

old method
I used to do this manually after checking device manager...
and then make "per machine type" image if i had some identical machines.

a better idea is to
simply set a runonceex or guirunonce command...
copy the DPINST.exe and DPInst.xml files to the \D\ folder
(they are in the  dp_base\bin\wnt5_x86-32  folder)

1) call dpinst.exe /c /s /sh
2) call the finisher

since most imaging software do compression creating the image haveing the packs extracted is NBD.

You could use the Stand Alone Drivers (SAD) platform feature of base.
This will be a far superior way to do this...
We are still in beta testing on this feature though.
and it has a few rough edges still - but not for long!
(i am going to rename SAD to SoFI  Software First Installer... )

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Overflow,

I like your way better also, but my specific problem is:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C0=C:\D\M\I5\ich7id2.inf
  PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C0=C:\D\M\I5\ich7ide.inf
  PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C4=C:\D\M\I5\ich7id2.inf
  PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C4=C:\D\M\I5\ich7ide.inf
  PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DF=C:\D\M\I5\ich7id2.inf
  PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DF=C:\D\M\I5\ich7ide.inf

id2's will lockup the 620s. An install from the CD will pick the right driver, but after imaging XP will grab the wrong one. Can you think of another way to "prioritize" the ide.inf's to prevent the lock ups? I would prefer to live my life w/ out sysprep. smile

Mrguiter, if I'm reading this right the issue I think is that you are putting both INF's in. Do only the *ide.inf or *id2.inf, not both.

The issue is that the finisher will run against the location of INF's for driverpacks (C:\D) and miss all the drivers that windows has in it's collection (C:\Windows\inf) by default. And the reason why it chooses the driverpacks version is because it's newer. I think the only real way to accomplish this is to somehow change the version of the original driver to a later date than the one in the driverpacks. Or the other way around. However, I haven't tested this, it's only a theory.

Perhaps an option for the SoFI ini would be to skip driverpacks in favor of the windows driver?

Last edited by stamandster (2008-10-29 05:08:19)

There is no I5 folder in mass 805???

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

OverFlow wrote:

There is no I5 folder in mass 805???

You're right. I copied and pasted from an earlier post that was showing the nightly build. I guess my point was to show the identical hardware IDs for two different drivers. Sorry for the confusion.

If a sources drivers are installed only by DriverPacks BASE there should not be any duplicated HWIDS....

that is why i am checking this out... wink

I need a specific example i can "look" at big_smile

Ongoing Problem

Don't use MakePNF wink
DO use Galapo's OffLineSysPrep... big_smile
DO use SAD...

I love Quake / UT Quad-Damage... LOL