Topic: Fedit and XP SP3

This may be in the wrong place - mods please feel free to move it if this is the case.

I'm working on an XP SP3 WDS deployment, and all appears to be fine - except Fedit crashes and burns.
My deployment is created on an XP SP2 machine, then ported over, but I have a batch file which runs and edits an ini file to show the current date, the result of which is displayed as the system build date on the desktop via BGinfo. This batch file runs during guirunonce, and works fine on SP2. Fedit crashes and burns on SP3.
Not a big real, but may cause issues running DPBase on SP3 machines, if DPBase uses Fedit to modify files.

Re: Fedit and XP SP3

yes we use fedit and have no reported issues to date.

From reading log files that have been submitted and other types of feedback
I know that we have DriverPacks running off of hundreds if not thousands of machines with sp3
I am aware of no other reports of failure related to fedit and sp3 machines.

It must be specific to something you alone are doing...

i would also like to point out the primary difference in the usage between you and the dp_base.

Base uses fedit to modify source files in a folder before createing the image that will be used to install.
we don't use fedit during the installation process... only during the slipstream (while the base program is running)

it is likely your crash and burn is a direct result of delayed write and file locking handles.
IE the file is opened before the write is actually completed by delayed write feature of windows file caching. wink

in base we are able to open and close file handles directly. smile
if you are familiar with WSH or VB or other high level script language you can also do this.

this is as good a place on the forum to post as any wink

Thanks for your feedback and continued support

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Thanks for the reply.

I can confirm I'm not having any issues with the DP's or DPBase. The batch file I run is during windows setup, and I have disabled it while I investigate further. My WSH and VB skills are none too hot, but I have discovered and solved another problem I had running a vb script during setup. There appears to be no file association for .vbs in my build, which seems odd. FEdit failing may be caused by the same thing if it makes use of WSH.

Cheers for the pointer.

Update!

FEdit just will not work during guirunonce, but works OK after. No idea why, so I wrote a vbscript to do the same thing.

thanks for keeping us in the loop... have a great day and were glad your here...

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.