Topic: Sigmatel HD Audio HDMI audio output for Sony FZ

I have a Sony FZ180E/B using XP/Vista dual boot

I do have a working audio driver for XP EXCEPT it does not support HDMI audio output... you don't even get another choice in the Audio Playback device (in Vista it works fine).

My info is as follows:

Driver for XP is version 5.10.5515.0 (I believe the latest) from Sony available here:

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/PUB/OS/XPDOWNGR … 9/DRIVERS/

Device Instace ID:  HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7662&SUBSYS_104D1C00

The Driver per the WDM\sthda.ini file and this Device Instance uses SONY_M2-7.ini as the configuration settings (which don't support HDMI).

There is another configuration setting file SONY_M2-3 which does support HDMI audio output as evidenced by the settings inside the file. But this file is only used if your Device Instance ID is: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7664&SUBSYS_104D1300

I have no idea what Sony model this applies to (maybe AR??)

In my Vista driver  for my particular FZ Device Instance, there is a similar file SONY_M_WRT2-6.ini  to the M2-3 noted above. Here is a ink to the Vista Driver:
http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/download … 700-UN.htm

Do you think there is any hope in somehow merging these 3 files together to make up a new ini file that would give my FZ HDMI audio output?? I would need to modify the M2-7 file but I assume there may be a security check on this file?

I don't know why Sony is not allowing HDMI audio output in XP??? Is there another way around this?

Thanks for your help

Last edited by elmerb (2008-05-22 05:50:49)

Re: Sigmatel HD Audio HDMI audio output for Sony FZ

there was  a very strong post about this recently on another forum and i cant remember where now.

a sound card manufacturer was targeting an individual who was hacking drivers to enable features in cards that were available in Vista but not available in XP. They were calling it theft.
It was their position that it was up to them to decide which features were to be supported by their cards. BY enabling features that they chose to disable he was in effect providing free upgrades to their hardware. It was not appreciated and drew a cease and desist order on the author.

So while this can be done it is at the same time a license violation...
We will not be able to tell you how this is done for that reason.

It is my recommendation that you approach the OEM / Provider and request they "fix" their drivers.
(technically they are not broken they are gimped as a marketing ploy)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Thanks for your reply...

Getting through to Sony I don't think is even possible in a fashion that will make a difference . Sony USA's opinion is that the computer came with Vista.... and it should stay that way.

Under some pressure in Europe and Asia-Pacific, they provided I believe all drivers for XP (leaving a couple problems which most now can be overcome).... But in this case, the driver doesn't work properly in XP for HDMI audio output. Its hard to deny that the hardware is not there and working to use it ...Its just that their driver can't do it... The software for installing it is already present in the install package.... its just seems they either thru error or as a delibrate act  have prevented a feature from working properly in XP. The video driver does provide HDMI video output.... just the audio driver is broken.

If features that are turned off can't be added to a driver if available, aren't all the modded INF's at for example Laptops2Go also in violation???

What about your own repackaging of drivers.... if somehow you now accidently allowed a certain driver to install on a computer that wasn't supposed to get it.... is that also a violation...

I know... I am preaching to the choir...

Last edited by elmerb (2008-05-22 09:44:53)

we are not saints - but we try to be - if given a choice.

I wish OEMs providers had to take DriverPacks training...
if they did unified drivers would be more common
and drivers would be more functional and compatable with their older versions

the points you make are good ones - I agree with your conclusions.
we will still take the high road as long as it presents itself as an option.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Hello DriverPacks.net community!

I'm fighting 3 days already, with the HDMI sound output problem.
Changed many of AudioDrivers - no luck.
Also tried changing HDMI cables, no luck also. I hear only the noice on my PLASMA TV.

Maybe anyone here have any follow up on this?

I would be really thankfull

thanks,
Jaroslav

Welcome to DriverPacks.
Please read this post before you post again: http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?pid=4#p4
You didn't tell us anything we need to know to help you.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!