Re: DPInst with DriverPacks on network repository

That's what has been working for me.  I have only put the image on one machine so far, but have done it about 10 times already, I am making tweaks to my code and need to keep testing it  tongue

The thing I keep bumping in to right now is breaking activation, but just found out about deleting wpa.dbl and wpa.bak which is probably why I was having issues.  Once activation is broken my image is home free.  The process from the beginning went:

Transfer my VirtualBox installation to a real drive via GhostCast (what a pain!!  need a faster way!)
Hooked that drive up as a slave and OSP'd it with only MS injection and AUTO HAL on next boot
Update my driver packs used, easy since I just dump 'em in a folder
Make an image of the drive, and deploy away

I add my main app "justinstall_s" to Docs\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup so it runs on the first actual XP boot
That app calls another I wrote "suppress" which makes all of the New Hardware Wizards go away and closes "System Settings Change"
At the end of justinstall_s (which scans HWIDs and compares agains my list of available HWIDs pulled from the INFs) another app I wrote comes on, "clean", which removes the driver pack directory, makes registry changes, then calls for reactivation

Works great on that machine, and once I have all of my own quirks figured out I'll throw it on some other machines, see what happens.

Ian

Great, glad to hear it's useful!

Regards,
Galapo.

kickarse wrote:

I'm happy I was able to help the infamous Galapo! big_smile

I'm greatful for the time you took to research and post. I hadn't tried devcon because I thought a complete shutdown was what was needed. However, just a "devcon reboot" was. But even though devcon doesn't actually make a reboot under the limited conditions, it nevertheless must get something working because when the shell closes, the reboot is different to the one without having run the devcon command.

I would love to test it out, I would love to see the process behind the scenes too.

Well, it's basically just refreshing the files you mention here: http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 819#p29819. Then writing corresponding registry entries.

Note: my "auto boot" method is only for acpi uni- and multi-processor machines. Setting another type of HAL can as yet only be done with "auto" and "manual" methods, not "auto boot" method. In other words, from PE environment I can work out when to use uni-processor HAL and when to use ACPI, but I can't work out how to make this differentiation at first boot under the specific conditions imposed. Maybe it doesn't matter. Mysysprep only works with acpi uni- and multi-processor machines as well as far as I know.

Regards,
Galapo.

kickarse wrote:

So, now, basically we run OSP on a live system, turn the machine off, capture the image, then deploy the image, turn the newly deploy workstation on?

You've got a number of options:

1. Sysprep drive; shutdown; boot to PE; run OSP with "auto boot" HAL option; create image; deploy image; start new system.

2. Sysprep drive; shutdown; connect drive to another system; run OSP with "auto boot" HAL option from the other system; create image; deploy image; start new system.

3. Shutdown; boot to PE; run OSP with "auto boot" HAL option and also sysprep option; create image; deploy image; start new system.

4. Connect drive to another system; run OSP with "auto boot" HAL option and also sysprep option from the other system; create image; deploy image; start new system.

Regards,
Galapo.

Kinda-related question - the OSP method where SysPrep is never run keeps the same product key, something that is a no-no for me unfortunately.  I have been able to break activation, and can have XP run the activation wizard to change the key, but it's clunky as all heck.  I found some scripts on recovering the product key, but don't see any to allow CHANGING it.  http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index … mp;start=0 has info on recovery, anyone have an idea how to have AutoIt ask for the new key then insert it?  This is the only downside I have seen in using OSP without running SysPrep first....

Thanks

Ian

There is a way that allows for automatic HAL detection with XP/2003 on every boot same as Vista: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?sho … p;p=532799

Unfortunately, would seem to break licensing agreement. Darn, because that method would be ideal.

Regards,
Galapo.

Last edited by Galapo (2009-03-12 12:48:43)

I found a good answer to my above question, if it helps anyone else go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhe … uinst.aspx and include this tool in your install.

Ian

I've again released a new version.

Changes to OfflineSysPrep:
· Added Advanced option to generate new SID
· Removed some registry writes and added some deletions so as to avoid multiple HALs being listed in Device Manager
· Fixed bug introduced in two previous versions with manually setting HAL to ACPI Muilti-processor
· Fixed spelling mistake on Advanced gui
· Fixed bug introduced in two previous versions with OfflineSysPrep.inf

Regards,
Galapo.

It's too bad we can't use ntldr, ntdetect.com to query the sub system and gather the appropriate information.

I for one am very pissed that MS didn't keep the detecthal option on boot. Wtf! But what this does mean is that it is possible, as long as we build our own lol.

I wonder if there's a way to piggy back off of the loader exes?

Also, there's the PantherXP way of doing it, injecting drivers into a WIM. The guy is on the boot-land.net forums.

Honestly, the HAL isn't the issue for me because I can set all my options using the boot.ini and then do the set the appropriate HAL when loaded into windows. The issue for me is selecting the drivers, not going past the memory limit and not crashing the system on next boot.

Last edited by stamandster (2009-03-12 23:58:13)

Question Galapo, is it OK to run OSP after it has already been run on the same image?  I have my image pretty much locked down using the previous release, but I didn't think about the SID, so I'd like to just take a drive and dump on my existing image which has already had OSP run on it, re-OSP it, reimage it and deploy it.  I can't imaging it would be a problem, but thought it better to check....

Thanks

Ian

kickarse wrote:

Also, there's the PantherXP way of doing it, injecting drivers into a WIM. The guy is on the boot-land.net forums.

The HAL and driver injection routines of PantherXP I am quite familar with because I was involved with developing those functions and testing.

llewxam wrote:

Question Galapo, is it OK to run OSP after it has already been run on the same image?

Yes, that's fine. Caution with the "auto boot" HAL option and driver-signing options: if you re-run those again there will be issues. I'll work on a fix.

Regards,
Galapo.

Regarding the breaking of activation and product keys, I've been using mr_smartepant's Multi OEM Activation add on my Unattended install discs, it works like a charm.... I believe from some of the reading I've done over on Siginet's forum that tweaking of the addon could be done to have it run during sysprep mini setup and have the image correctly activated without worrying about a product key at all.

http://siginetsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=541

http://siginetsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117

http://siginetsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276

I don't see why not.  My addon just runs a batch script that can be run at any time prior to OOBE to pre-activate the OS.  Once the OS asks for a product key, it's too late to pre-activate.
Let me know what I can do to make my addon better or more compatible to your needs. smile

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

@mr_smartepants, as of now using OSP x.02 with no SysPrep at all and some sort of unattended driver installer at boot is absolutely AWESOME, soooo sweet!!!  But it keeps the original product key and is still activated, and I need to be able to enter product keys and activate with the proper keys to keep things legit.  Today I used the new release of OSP x.03 (sorry, forget the exact version number tongue ) and used the SID option (I forgot about that one...), and then called Microsoft's Product Key Update Tool.  All this works, except it is pretty clunky and the Microsoft tool does not support Media Center which is a problem.  What I was considering is using SysPrep without the Base MS text mode integration, and using OSP for MS injection and HAL switch, that way I would still get to enter a product key and have SID regenerated while keeping the HAL switch and a more complete MS injection method.  If somehow you can pull off a smoother way for SID and product key that would be cool, but honestly I don't think the SysPrep + OSP is a bad option at all.  Keep Detect PNP off of SysPrep, and the Reseal and mini-setup sshould both be pretty darn quick.

Whew, wow that was a mouthful!  I have made over 20 images in the last 2 days between Home, Pro, and MCE and testing and tweaking my apps to coexist, and have been between MySysPrep + Base and OSP + NewSID + MS key updater!!!  uuuggggggggggg!  The good thing is that even with OSP + NewID + MS key updater I still go from the ground up in 15 minutes, but I think it should be smoother and faster to do SysPrep + OSP.

Anyhoo, I'm ready to test if any new ideas come out!  smile

Ian

OK, looks like I have some studying to do.  Just downloaded OSP1.10.0.3 so I'm going to go off and play.  If I find something useful, I'll post back here.
No promises though.
Now, back to the thread topic...

Topics... we don't need no stinkin' topics wink

Wow i belive you guys have discovered the solution that sysprep was meant to be.

I think i will even try it! While you may not be able to drag me back to SysPrep,
perhaps the "SysPrep Alternative" or Alt-SysPrep method will be acceptable to me.

It sounds like even I will find it is a viable solution big_smile

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

This is what teamwork is about! I'll try and test it out at some point.

Galapo, could you add an option to mount a VMWare image and use that for the target?

Ian, you can change one number in the reg binary of the msoobe registry key and call the msoobe activation and it will ask for a new number.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874

With sysprep.exe you can use -mini -reseal for re-entering the activation key.

Last edited by stamandster (2009-03-14 00:07:14)

kickarse wrote:

Ian, you can change one number in the reg binary of the msoobe registry key and call the msoobe activation and it will ask for a new number.

Yup, I went that way at first, but felt that was too clunky.  (jeez, I love that word, huh??)  It worked fine, but having to say yes to activation, then telephone, then change key, then update, then phone in every time, what a pain!  smile

Ian

kickarse wrote:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874

Unfortunately, that only works for VLK licenses.  Not OEM pre-activation.

Microsoft wrote:

Warning The steps in the article are effective only on Volume License media. If you try these steps on OEM media or on retail media, you will not change the product key.

Microsoft wrote:

Warning The steps in the article are effective only on Volume License media. If you try these steps on OEM media or on retail media, you will not change the product key.

hmm, that's pretty odd, it seemed to work just fine, but I never ran Key Finder or anything to verify, it just went through the motions.  Maybe that's all it did, went through the motions......

Oh well, I'm minutes away from trying a test that went

Plain SysPrep with only Mini-Setup option selected and no MS textmode integration
OSP with HAL next boot, MS injection, no SID, fix keyboard//mouse unresponsiveness, couple other things...

I'll post back with results and full OSP options used at that time

Ian

MS SysPrep with no options except mini-setup for Pro/MCE, OSP with HAL at next boot, delete MountedDevices and MachineGUID registry entries, fix mouse/keyboard unresponsiveness, install standard IDE, install all DriverPacks non-IDE, suppress driver signing, no SID generatin, and complete OfflineSysPrep operations without running sysprep.exe

Works like a champ!!!!!

Thanks Galapo, and of course everyone for support, ideas, driver help, and all the rest!  GREAT STUFF!!!

Ian

kickarse wrote:

Galapo, could you add an option to mount a VMWare image and use that for the target?

I guess I could but I don't really see the point. If one wants to use a VMWare image, then it should be up to the user to have the image mounted, and it's not difficult. There's various ways of doing so: either with VMWare's own supplied program, or vdk.exe, or ImDisk, etc.

New version is out also. Changes to OfflineSysPrep:
· Options which are run on first boot (driver-signing supression, generating new SID, auto HAL update) are now stored in case of re-running OfflineSysPrep before first run and when OfflineSysPrep starts the second (or third etc.) time then these options are selected by default if originally selected
· Original setup commandline is replaced if re-running OfflineSysPrep before first run

Regards,
Galapo.

Fair enough. I just thought it would be a nice added feature is all. Galapo, does your program work with LiveXP and all its variants?

Also, Ian I found something that you might find helpful.

Last edited by stamandster (2009-03-15 02:16:34)

Awesome work Galapo. Me and bro eXoRt will test it for you. big_smile

kickarse wrote:

Galapo, does your program work with LiveXP and all its variants?

Yes, that's all I use it with these days. I haven't fired up pebuilder for two years now.

Regards,
Galapo.