Topic: Keeping The "Repair" Option In Windows Setup

When you slipstream driverpacks, it will put the following in WINNT.SIF ...

[Data]
MsDosInitiated=No

[Unattended]
OemPreinstall=Yes

[GuiRunOnce]
command9="%SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe"

Can I remove the "MsDosInitiated=No" part?

Can I remove the "OemPreinstall=Yes" (this stops you accessing the "Repair" option when running Windows setup)

Can I remove the "command9="%SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe" if I put this command in a file that runs on first login?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Unattended]
OemPreinstall=Yes

When this is in WINNT.SIF, it tells it to copy files from $OEM$ but I am using method 2 so there is no drivers in $OEM$ and for the other stuff I want to copy over, I have made a file that unpacks it all when my first bat file runs on first login.

Just wanna keep the repair option.

Re: Keeping The "Repair" Option In Windows Setup

you can use any mechanisim you like to run the finisher includeing launching it manually.
(the finisher is, quite often, not even required except to remove the packs and related files)

not sure about the msdos initiated line. No means we are useing a CD? do you intend to boot from floppies?

MsDosInitiated = "0"
If this setting is on "0" it will inform Setup that you are installing from CD, put a value of 1
if you use only diskettes to boot.

i belive you are correct about OemPreinstall=Yes  - you tell us wink

PS the RC version of base will probably work better for you. it addresses the setupold.exe issue.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

To retain the Repair option, simply remove the entire [Unattended] section, that is all that has to be done.

But, for it to work CORRECTLY, the presetup.cmd in I386 on the CD needs to be edited after you run DPBase.....

DEL /F %systemroot%\system32\setupold.exe

that needs to be at the BEGINNING of the cmd file.

Last edited by DizzyDen (2008-03-05 08:29:44)

always remember.....
YCGIYWG (You Can't Get, If You Won't Give)
DizzyDen

the rc version of base includes that fix dizzy

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Thanks for the replies, yes I see the packs uncompressing and everything, it all seems to be working fine.

To get around the lack of a distribution folder ($OEM$) I have done it so the presetup.cmd copies a bat file to the C drive then that is run from the end of WINNT.SIF, this bat file then runs the DPsFnshr.exe then the bat file even deletes itself smile All the $OEM$ stuff is copied over from the bat file, its not the conventional way but it works.

yes - seems like that would work just fine -  good thinking

care to share?

OverFlow wrote:

the rc version of base includes that fix dizzy

The last check I did, the rc puts it at the end of the file, not the beginning.  With it at the end, it has been hit and miss as to working, at the beginning it is flawless.

always remember.....
DizzyDen

well it might have been nice to tell me - silly boy...

RC = Request for comments...

Ill update it (now that i know) wink

i may make this a feature... if i were to code it that way -hmmm

LOL OverFlow.... sorry, I thought I had pointed it out way back when, when i shared my cmd files, and the method for the users that wanted it in the past....

Sorry bout that man.

always remember.....
DizzyDen

thinking out loud...

if i move that line to the first part of the file
and
if the user selects m2 and guirunonce

(instead of runonceexe and or M1) then i would not need to set the OemPreinstall=Yes

if the user doesn't use nlite or otherwise set OemPreinstall=Yes
then repair will be offered and still work?

without haveing to edit anything themselfs

Overflow, that is not actually correct.....

That line in the beginning makes the repair option work no matter what the user uses, as long as the [unattended] section is not in the winnt.sif file.
The repair.sif file I use for my multiboots has the complete file, less anything in the unattended section.

No matter what you do, if that section is in the winnt.sif file, the repair option will not be presented.

The DEL /F %systemroot%\system32\setupold.exe line is only to prevent the setup called itself issue during a repair.

Oh... I think I just uderstood what you were talking about. If the user selects M2 AND guirunonce, there is no need to set OEMPreinstall and that would be correct.

Last edited by DizzyDen (2008-03-07 07:28:34)

always remember.....
DizzyDen

you helped me
i was not aware that just the existence of the section header itself [unattended] would prevent the repair prompt.

it is very important to cleanup.
IE driverpacks is run multiple times on the same source. Then it must be removed before it can be added again.
Some of files are line edited some are backed up and restored in the process.

many hours of the code work in RC3 is spent on streamlining this particular section of the code.
many of the modules contained similar yet unique routines that are being consolidated into logical subroutines.
i believe the process will eliminate anomalies that show up as strange problems and eliminate some unreported ones.

for example the mass storage INI has drivers tagged as exceptions. skip / replace / disable
in 752 the INI for the current driverpack is used to remove the old mass storage drivers.
i now copy the current INI to i386 in this way the same exceptions are used as when it was installed.
90% of the time the exceptions are not changed or deleted, but if they did change the removal or restore could be affected.
IE if an existing driver was changed to skip in the mass INI it would not be removed before resliptreaming.
(and thus not really skipped at all) or if it was changed from replace to skip then it would not get restored. (and still would not be skipped) wink

this was unreported as a problem but i thought it should be fixed...
stuff like that and the restore option - which can be addressed while i am working on this section.

i think that it makes sense to avoid crippling windows features without any reason.